OT- Grandpa Names | Syracusefan.com

OT- Grandpa Names

CuseTroop

Vegas Mole Person
Soooo Ladytroop's daughter is having a baby today, which means I'm a few hours from becoming a grandpa. They've been asking me for months what this little girl (and future grandkiddos) are going to call me. I have no clue. I was planning on just letting the kid call me whatever the heck she wanted, and just rolling with it- but apparently that isn't how this works. Since I come here for all my important decisions anyway, I figured it would be a good place to request assistance.

What are your best grandpa names? The pups already call me "Pa", so that's out.

Soooo Ladytroop's daughter is having a baby today, which means I'm a few hours from becoming a grandpa. They've been asking me for months what this little girl (and future grandkiddos) are going to call me. I have no clue. I was planning on just letting the kid call me whatever the heck she wanted, and just rolling with it- but apparently that isn't how this works. Since I come here for all my important decisions anyway, I figured it would be a good place to request assistance.

Papa?

Big Papi?

Troop? :p

Troopa

But not a State Troopa

LOL years ago, my dad and I were walking into the Howard Hillclimb (a fathers day tradition for years). We were approaching the gate when the security guard says "You can't bring those beers in here!". I had just finished mine, and my dad tipped his back to finish it quick.
I said to the guard - "Don't worry, he's a trooper".
Guard says "A state trooper?!"
And I said "Nah man, he just drinks a lot"

And now, it's literally impossible for anyone to call someone a "trooper" around me, without me immediately yelling "but not a state trooper!"

Ahh lol good times

Congrats and good luck. I vote for Papa also. It's a natural extension of Pa. Either that or Sir.

My father in law is known as Papa to my son.
I kind of agree with your initial thoughts about letting your granddaughter have a say in the naming process but that could mean a couple years of having a slightly confused toddler I guess.

Congratulations!

my grandfather was named PROSPER. and we called him by that name. though his friends called him jim.

I was the 1st grandchild on both sides and for whatever reason ended up calling mine Nonny & Poppy, Non & Pop and all cousins thereafter followed suit.

I mean, that's what I originally said when they asked me what I was going to be called.. I called my grandpa "grandpa", and my grammy was "Grammy"

This family works a little different tho, everyone has a nickname. Geepop, geema.. ladytroop is going with yaya

Idk lol
Sounds insane! Haha

I mean, that's what I originally said when they asked me what I was going to be called.. I called my grandpa "grandpa", and my grammy was "Grammy"

This family works a little different tho, everyone has a nickname. Geepop, geema.. ladytroop is going with yaya

Idk lol
Should probably just go with Baba Yaga then.

Idk lol
Okay, that's useful information. Yaya is the americanized version of the greek grandma.

So, you should go with:

The most commonly used Greek term for grandfather is pappous. This is, of course, a phonetic or Americanized spelling since the Greek language uses a different alphabet. You may also see it rendered as pappoo, papu, or papou. A more affectionate term is pappouli.

Idk lol
Sometimes these things do come fluidly though.

My dad would always go “ta da!” and jump with his hands in the air when seeing my niece. And out of that came “Da”

Maybe just go with “Duh” (that’s what we think my dad should be.) lol :cool: