OT: Hank Williams Song Out for Season on MNF | Syracusefan.com

OT: Hank Williams Song Out for Season on MNF

Upstate

Co 2020 Cali Winner, Rcd/Rcpts/TD Rcpts (5)/TFL
Some people, I heard, actually enjoyed the minimalist opening to MNF this past week. Did he deserve it? I, for one, don't think anyone will even remember what he said by next week.

He's an idiot, plain and simple. I don't care if he doesn't like Obama or his politics, but the fact that he's criticizing Obama and Boehner playing golf together is absurd. Just because they differ in politics doesn't mean they can't still be friendly. And saying it's like Hitler and Netanyahu playing is doubly absurd, because Obama and Boehner, while on opposing sides of the party lines, are still both working for the same freaking government.

It's just an absurd statement by him, and he brought all of the fallout on himself.

You know who the real losers are here? All his rowdy friends.

They can go hang out with Faith Hill on Sunday nights now. She's easier on the eyes, anyway.

I like football, but I don't like the drift it has taken towards an association with redneck crackerville. Kind of a Nascar nation flavor to some of those intros. Nascar seems to be moving slightly away from that while football is/was embracing it.

Dumb reason to cancel a theme song.

He's an idiot, plain and simple. I don't care if he doesn't like Obama or his politics, but the fact that he's criticizing Obama and Boehner playing golf together is absurd. Just because they differ in politics doesn't mean they can't still be friendly. And saying it's like Hitler and Netanyahu playing is doubly absurd, because Obama and Boehner, while on opposing sides of the party lines, are still both working for the same freaking government.

It's just an absurd statement by him, and he brought all of the fallout on himself.

I agree with everything you said.

HOWEVER, it is simply ridiculous for ESPN to "fire" him (I know he's not an employee) just because he said something they disagree with.

Ironically the move ESPN made was closer to what the nazi's stood for.

He's a degenerate and an ignoramus.

To call his president "the enemy" is shameful, and then to follow the sorry incident up with this:
"After reading hundreds of e-mails, I have made MY decision," he wrote. "By pulling my opening Oct 3rd, You (ESPN) stepped on the Toes of The First Amendment Freedom of Speech, so therefore Me, My Song, and All My Rowdy Friends are OUT OF HERE." reveals that he's dumber than a bag of hammers.

I dunno about that, but I feel like there's a comparison/joke to be made since ESPN is owned by Disney, and ol' Walt was a raging anti-Semite.

To call his president "the enemy" is shameful, and then to follow the sorry incident up with this:
"After reading hundreds of e-mails, I have made MY decision," he wrote. "By pulling my opening Oct 3rd, You (ESPN) stepped on the Toes of The First Amendment Freedom of Speech, so therefore Me, My Song, and All My Rowdy Friends are OUT OF HERE." reveals that he's dumber than a bag of hammers.
And what he's apparently either forgetting or doesn't realize is that the First Amendment protects you from the government censoring you. ESPN is a private company and can do whatever the hell it wants, more or less.

Yep - still doesn't mean ESPN did the right thing.

True. But that kind of behavior is rampant among the music industry and Hollywood. Very few reactions when Bush is compared to Hitler, or any number of other stupid accusations made by lefty entertainers over the years.

Not the first time somebody has been let go for saying or doing something stupid.

I guarantee that if some semi-celebrity had publicly called GW Hitler all heck would have broken loose among those on his side of the political spectrum...and rightly so.

I wouldn't say they did the wrong thing.

If you have a very public company and a very public contractor of yours says a rude and idiotic thing like that, do you want to employ him any longer? I sure wouldn't.

Not the first time somebody has been let go for saying or doing something stupid.

I guarantee that if some semi-celebrity had publicly called GW Hitler all heck would have broken loose among those on his side of the political spectrum...and rightly so.

Streisand did. Not much reaction. Only the left goes bananas over these things.

True. But that kind of behavior is rampant among the music industry and Hollywood. Very few reactions when Bush is compared to Hitler, or any number of other stupid accusations made by lefty entertainers over the years.

Whether Hank Williams says that about this president or some Dixie Chick says some knuckleheaded crap about her President Bush, it ought to be met with reprobation from any civilized, moderate American. Not too many of those out there, though.

For what it's worth, any "entertainer," actor, or musician ought not talk about political things. That crowd is at the very bottom of the food chain when it comes to intelligence - at least most athletes have had the benefit of a view years of college. "Entertainers," as a group, are an awfully ignorant bunch.

I don't know what Streisand said, but the big difference is that she wasn't, for lack of a better term, the "face" of a HUGE sports/business franchise at the time, owned by a private company which tries to have a very family friendly image.

(I realize calling Williams the face of the MNF franchise might be a bit of a stretch, but who doesn't associate MNF with that song ahead of pretty much anything else?)

Whether Hank Williams says that about this president or some Dixie Chick says some knuckleheaded crap about her President Bush, it ought to be met with reprobation from any civilized, moderate American. Not too many of those out there, though.

For what it's worth, any "entertainer," actor, or musician ought not talk about political things. That crowd is at the very bottom of the food chain when it comes to intelligence - at least most athletes have had the benefit of a view years of college. "Entertainers," as a group, are an awfully ignorant bunch.
Well, I'm not sure I can really agree with you on whether entertainers shouldn't have the right to talk about politics. Why should we be able to do so, but not them? The only difference is that they have access to people who actually listen to what they say.

Streisand did. Not much reaction. Only the left goes bananas over these things.
Ding Ding Ding. Liberals are the first to react, but the first to dish out.

I wouldn't say they did the wrong thing.

If you have a very public company and a very public contractor of yours says a rude and idiotic thing like that, do you want to employ him any longer? I sure wouldn't.

I can understand Disneys point and it's within their rights I suppose but to me I think we all are starting to lose the things we thought we had certain rights and it's kind of sad that we really don't. Even the misguided should get a chance to voice their opinions and through communication we get a chance to express our thoughts and debate the issues.

Great move by espn. Having political difference is normal in any society. This calling people the enemy and labeling them as traitors is flagrant stupidity. I salute espn for standing up to stupidy. Time more Americans did regardless of which side its coming from.

HW jr

I don't care much either way. I like the song...but I'm indifferent to Hank Williams. But let's face it, he didn't say Obama was Hitler. He compared to Obama and Boehner to two ideological enemies in an exaggerated fashion. He did call Obama the enemy. Meh!