OT: How many people here golf? | Syracusefan.com

OT: How many people here golf?

Depending on the date, I would definitely be interested in playing.

I think this board should do a golf tournament this summer with proceeds going to the Jim and Julie Foundation. That or abused children?
Nice idea. Tomcat is very good at organizing golf events in the Syracuse area. I think you should invite him to get involved if you move forward with this. If it gets large enough, I may be able to get someone from SU basketball to make an appearance.

Sweet. Let's do it in Kohler, WI.

Tons of great courses there.

Nice idea. Tomcat is very good at organizing golf events in the Syracuse area. I think you should invite him to get involved if you move forward with this. If it gets large enough, I may be able to get someone from SU basketball to make an appearance.
that'd be great. Organizing (or helping organize) would be a first for me, but I will do whatever I can to get this ball moving. Anyone have a preference for golf course in the area?? Timber Banks? Captain & crew format?

Storange putts lights out. He is at the top of my draft board. The boca doug (rip) tournament was a good time.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk

that'd be great. Organizing (or helping organize) would be a first for me, but I will do whatever I can to get this ball moving. Anyone have a preference for golf course in the area?? Timber Banks? Captain & crew format?
Trust me, Tomcat has checked them all out (I am assuming you are talking Syracuse area). I think it would have to be a Scramble (Captain and Crew format) in order to get the widest group of players. Otherwise, players who aren't so good would be hesitant to sign up. We actually had an event about 10 years ago, to benefit a non-profit run by a paralyzed board member (sadly, since deceased). The event was a lot of fun.

Trust me, Tomcat has checked them all out (I am assuming you are talking Syracuse area). I think it would have to be a Scramble (Captain and Crew format) in order to get the widest group of players. Otherwise, players who aren't so good would be hesitant to sign up. We actually had an event about 10 years ago, to benefit a non-profit run by a paralyzed board member (sadly, since deceased). The event was a lot of fun.
Alright, I will PM him and see if he would like to help out. I think this would be fun.

Sorry to hear about the board member who's since passed.

I play about 100-125 rounds a year. Would enjoy getting out.

Storange putts lights out. He is at the top of my draft board. The boca doug (rip) tournament was a good time.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk

that was a great time. jake, igor, gosu and myself. the best foursome that couldn't win jacksheet. miss the bocadoug-stan battles too. epic.

love golf, the hardest sport to practice imo, would golf everyday if i could. anyone here scratch?

love golf, the hardest sport to practice imo, would golf everyday if i could. anyone here scratch?

I'm scratching right now, while drinking a beer and watching the Masters. :)

Game. :rolleyes:

I helped organize a charity golf tournament for Le Moyne one year (Russo Golf Tournament), so I might be able to offer some assistance in getting this going, assuming I have time for it.

genuinely curious, elaborate...

Golf is a game, not a sport. IMHO. Like darts or bowling or bocce.

Please define the difference for us.

A sport involves three things:
1) A physical competition
2) A defined objective
3) A way to hinder your opponents' ability to score.

Golf clearly is becoming more and more physical.
There is a clearly defined objective.
But players are essentially playing against their own abilities, with no real control over how the other golfers perform. It's like bowling.
Don't get me wrong, I love golf. But again, in my opinion, it's not a sport. It's a game.

But players are essentially playing against their own abilities, with no real control over how the other golfers perform. It's like bowling.
Don't get me wrong, I love golf. But again, in my opinion, it's not a sport. It's a game.

I think you are splitting hairs. I thought that if you used a ball, it was definitely a sport. However not all sports uses balls (like boxing for example). Or would you argue that Boxing is not a sport. How about NASCAR. Is that a sport? I'm not sure it is, but the results and articles are always on the sport pages.

Anyways, I disagree with your comment about how you have no control about how other golfers or bowlers perform. Sure you do, if you are playing head to head. If you hit a great shot or go up one or two holes, it definitely changes the strategy of how your opponents plays. And if you are up one hole with one to play, you play differently than if you are down one with one to play.

That being said, I would be interested in participating in a fundraiser if the date and time worked for me. I'm all about helping for a good cause.

Anyways, I disagree with your comment about how you have no control about how other golfers or bowlers perform. Sure you do, if you are playing head to head. If you hit a great shot or go up one or two holes, it definitely changes the strategy of how your opponents plays. And if you are up one hole with one to play, you play differently than if you are down one with one to play.

It may change how your opponent chooses to play, but you haven't directly affected their ability to score.

I think you are splitting hairs. I thought that if you used a ball, it was definitely a sport. However not all sports uses balls (like boxing for example). Or would you argue that Boxing is not a sport. How about NASCAR. Is that a sport? I'm not sure it is, but the results and articles are always on the sport pages.

That being said, I would be interested in participating in a fundraiser if the date and time worked for me. I'm all about helping for a good cause.

One of my "rules" that must be met to be considered a sport is that you can not be in a sitting position while participating. That rules out NASCAR and poker. They should be referred to as "entertainment", same as going to a movie.

I'd say golf is the most difficult sport in the world. Yes, it's a sport. Absolutely, 100%. To compare it to darts is, quite frankly, absurd. I've played just about every sport, and none is more difficult or requires the precision of golf.

Ok, end tangent. I wish I was in CNY so I could participate. I don't get to play much anymore, but every time you play golf and hit a couple good shots...man, no feeling like that. My 7 iron is my best friend.

I have a great short game... Off the tee (I know, oldest joke in the book)

So wish I could join, I live on a golf course and love to golf.

I'd say golf is the most difficult sport in the world. Yes, it's a sport. Absolutely, 100%. To compare it to darts is, quite frankly, absurd. I've played just about every sport, and none is more difficult or requires the precision of golf.

Ok, end tangent. I wish I was in CNY so I could participate. I don't get to play much anymore, but every time you play golf and hit a couple good shots...man, no feeling like that. My 7 iron is my best friend.

Any game you can drink beer while playing, is not a sport.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom