OT - Iowa-Illinois ticket controversy | Syracusefan.com

OT - Iowa-Illinois ticket controversy

It cost the Illinois club 6k in charter bus fees because it was to late to cancel and get a full refund. An expensive lesson for them to learn. Iowa lost over 5k when they refunded the money to the club and then donated the tickets to the real boys and girls club, a pretty cool move to do.

How they got caught was Iowa contacted the boys and girls club about delivery of the tickets and set up receiving all those kids in to the game. That started an investigation which led to the ticket refund. And the Illinois Club? They are mad they lost the 6k because if Iowa had noticed the address they were supposed to mail the tickets to earlier was fraudulent the tickets would have been canceled earlier and they could have gotten all their money back and then tried to scam another school.

It cost the Illinois club 6k in charter bus fees because it was to late to cancel and get a full refund. An expensive lesson for them to learn. Iowa lost over 5k when they refunded the money to the club and then donated the tickets to the real boys and girls club, a pretty cool move to do.

How they got caught was Iowa contacted the boys and girls club about delivery of the tickets and set up receiving all those kids in to the game. That started an investigation which led to the ticket refund. And the Illinois Club? They are mad they lost the 6k because if Iowa had noticed the address they were supposed to mail the tickets to earlier was fraudulent the tickets would have been canceled earlier and they could have gotten all their money back and then tried to scam another school.
I think the fact that the Illinois student section has been committing fraud for 20 years and never gotten in trouble for it by the Illini AD, which should have oversight, is telling.

I know when the Otto’s Army wants to go to an away game, they do it working with the SUAD. This is how responsible academic institutions work. I hope that this last attempt to defraud a follow conference school finally convinces Illinois to pay some attention to what their out of control students are doing.

I don’t blame the students as much as the university itself.

I disagree with the boys and girls club thing, but the other ones sound pretty funny. Family reunion? Boy Scouts? That’s clever.

I'll have to check with my nephew with what he did when he was president of the Orange Krush back in 2009. His siblings were also in the group in following years.

I reached out to my nephew and this is what he told me: “This whole thing has gotten so out of hand. I’m on an advisory board for the athletic department so know the guy who bought the tickets and happened to be on a call with him the other night when this was happening. He said when he bought the tickets he phrased it that the group was “a charity in illinois that supports boys and girls.” Technically that’s true. Iowa assumed it was the boys and girls club. The only real issue I have is that Iowa waited until the last minute knowing they’d be out money. They also said they were going to donate the tickets but only donated 50 of the 200 bought”

I used to buy 18 and under youth tickets for $6 up in the rafters, and then sit in the section next to the student section that they don’t sell seats in, until I was like 23. Watched many a GMac, Warrick classic over there nearly for the free! No regrets.

They smartly switched youth tickets to 12 and under shortly after I had finally reached the age where I had too much shame to buy a youth ticket at the box office.

As a middle school kid, used to be let in the side door of the Smith Center in Chapel Hill for $10 a person by a guy who sold programs.

That being said, I obviously support any kind of avoiding paying expensive prices for tickets hijinks.

I reached out to my nephew and this is what he told me: “This whole thing has gotten so out of hand. I’m on an advisory board for the athletic department so know the guy who bought the tickets and happened to be on a call with him the other night when this was happening. He said when he bought the tickets he phrased it that the group was “a charity in illinois that supports boys and girls.” Technically that’s true. Iowa assumed it was the boys and girls club. The only real issue I have is that Iowa waited until the last minute knowing they’d be out money. They also said they were going to donate the tickets but only donated 50 of the 200 bought”
They didn't lie then. Iowa got caught with egg on their face.

I’m extremely doubtful that Iowa wouldn’t ask “what charity” and would just assume it was a Boys & Girls club.

I’m not saying your nephew is a liar….but I definitely wouldn’t believe what he said without some independent verification.

I will say that him bringing up the 50/200 tickets tells me he’s classless, so there’s that…

I’m extremely doubtful that Iowa wouldn’t ask “what charity” and would just assume it was a Boys & Girls club.

I’m not saying your nephew is a liar….but I definitely wouldn’t believe what he said without some independent verification.

I will say that him bringing up the 50/200 tickets tells me he’s classless, so there’s that…
That last part was certainly unnecessary and douchey.

Feel free to independently verify.

There is a reason for everything. Did Trump go to Illinois? Half-truths...

The club’s Executive Director John Tursi says he’s not focused on the fight between Iowa and Illinois over those ticket sales. He just wants the kids here in eastern Iowa to enjoy the game.

Tursi said that they were first approached about the tickets by the Iowa Athletic Department on February 1st. He said that they are often approached by the Iowa Athletic Department for tickets and that they weren’t surprised to receive the offer. He continued that they were not made aware of the situation with the Orange Krush until the morning of February 2nd.

Tursi cited the short turnaround for the reason they are only able to send 50 kids to the game, but that they were offered all 200 tickets.

Was there any discount beyond the standard lower pricing at group rate since they bought 200?

If not those are their tickets and they can do what they want with them.

If they invoked something to get child pricing or whatever maybe then they deserve this but the Iowa AD probably wouldn't have cared if a scalper bought these and put them all on stubhub.

Remember back in the good ol’ days when students used to commit crimes like property theft, vandalism, assault and kidnapping in the name of college rivalries?

Man, we laugh and laugh about those good ol’ days now, don’t we? Those were just college hijinx, because they happened long ago.

But today? Criminals all of them. Fraud! Those no good kids need to face consequences for their dastardly actions!

Kids these days! Harrumph!

I love this whole story…especially the ending with Iowa’s donation.
No man, you don’t get it.

See, 50 years ago when someone was kidnapped, had their head shaved, and dumped 30 miles from their campus, THAT was good old fashioned college fun!

Today, scheming to buy tickets to a road game? That’s criminal! These are bad kids who need adults to tell them what’s what.

Wouldn’t it be nice if this story was about our kids, and the story about the grumpy old coach was at a different school?

How is mentioning the 50/200 tickets going to a Boys and Girls club classless.

150 were sold at way higher than the group rate and 50 went to a charity. Iowa ticket office profited off this cancellation.

Again the truth is if a scalper bought the 200 tickets and put them on stubhub this wouldn't have happened. But since its away fans who will make a bunch of noise and negate the home court advantage they had to be stopped and publicly shamed.