OT -- McNabb's nephew | Syracusefan.com

OT -- McNabb's nephew

im4cuse

2nd String
#7 overall to Edmonton. DM getting lots of face time too Nobody booed either.

I love how he says his parents steered him away from football for "safety reasons."

Yes, because hockey is so much less physical than football. That said, congratulations to him and his family, what a huge accomplishment. They should be very, very proud.

I love how he says his parents steered him away from football for "safety reasons."

Yes, because hockey is so much less physical than football.

Hockey certainly has its share of serious injuries (see Bergeron), and is now facing much closer scrutiny, ala the NFL, for head injuries (i.e., CTE--Boogard).

But, generally speaking, the average NHL career is quite a bit longer than that of an NFL player (even including the "babied" QB's).

It looks like the minimum salary for both is about 500k per year which works out to be 2 million, big deference! Plus, you would think there is a lot less wear and tear on the NHL players due to skating vs running.

Glad you're not my CPA... Your math is awful. :)

Because in my book, those numbers suggest the average hockey career is 64% longer than the average football career - which is quite substantial, IMO

And going from a $1 to $2 is a 100% gain, BUT it's only a dollar.

Hockey certainly has its share of serious injuries (see Bergeron), and is now facing much closer scrutiny, ala the NFL, for head injuries (i.e., CTE--Boogard).

But, generally speaking, the average NHL career is quite a bit longer than that of an NFL player (even including the "babied" QB's).

Generally speaking, hockey has less helmet to helmet hits. The hockey hits that sound the best (against the boards) are the least likely to produce an injury, unless you cheap shot the guy from behind.

The issue w this year analysis is that injury probably isn't the career ender the majority of the time.

The issue w this year analysis is that injury probably isn't the career ender the majority of the time.

True, and when I googled it I couldn't find a split between career years due to or not due to injury.

Glad you're not my CPA... Your math is awful. :)

Because in my book, those numbers suggest the average hockey career is 64% longer than the average football career - which is quite substantial, IMO

Also dude, I'm the best kind of CPA - one that can make the numbers work anyway I need them to. :D

Skating's a lot easier on the knees than running too.

I played both sports in college, and my father played in the NHL and WHA for 7 years.

Football is far more physical than hockey. And while concussions and injuries exist in both sports, I found football to be far more taxing on my body.

Regardless of what coaches teach, you cannot avoid head to head contact in football - it is bound to happen. NFL players have gotten so big, so fast, and so strong. You don't see players in the NHL get blasted too often when they don't have the puck like you see a defender get when hit by a crack back block.

I think even some of us football die hards underestimate the physicality of the game these days.

I played both sports in college, and my father played in the NHL and WHA for 7 years.

Football is far more physical than hockey. And while concussions and injuries exist in both sports, I found football to be far more taxing on my body.

Regardless of what coaches teach, you cannot avoid head to head contact in football - it is bound to happen. NFL players have gotten so big, so fast, and so strong. You don't see players in the NHL get blasted too often when they don't have the puck like you see a defender get when hit by a crack back block.

I think even some of us football die hards underestimate the physicality of the game these days.
I'm a huge hockey fan.Who was/is your father?

And going from a $1 to $2 is a 100% gain, BUT it's only a dollar.

I would pay $1 to get $2 everyday of my life...

Just for giggles... If you invested $1 today, returned $2 tomorrow, reinvested the $2 tomorrow, returned $4 the following day... for 30 days.. I'd be able to personally build the new Orangepace Retractable Roof Facility on South Campus with WarOTTO etched into the roof, fund the Syracusefan.com IPF, make a personal donation to privately fund any new women's olympic sport, another to privately fund adding a men's baseball team and still have $24MM+ to take on a new venture.

I believe you mean Marc Savard, Bergy's was a bad concussion but at least he's still playing. Savard has had Post-concussion Syndrome for the last 3 years.

Boogard was an odd case because he was on tons and tons of drugs. He didn't purposely kill himself like Seau.

Boogard was an odd case because he was on tons and tons of drugs. He didn't purposely kill himself like Seau.

Not to mention Derek Boogaard was an enforcer whose primary objective was to fight. Most of the hockey guys dealing with chronic brain and cognitive deficiencies are the brawlers/enforcers (similar to retired boxers).

There are offensive players who have had plenty of concussions (e.g. Eric Lindros, Pat LaFontaine); but they played in a different era when headhunting across the neutral zone was considered sound defensive hockey. Today, not so much.

I believe you mean Marc Savard, Bergy's was a bad concussion but at least he's still playing. Savard has had Post-concussion Syndrome for the last 3 years.

I'm talking about Bergeron's playing with a broken rib and punctured lung in the Cup finals.

Boogaard is important because of the medical research done on his brain post mortem. It showed advanced CTE (chronic traumatic encephalopathy). And yes, Boogaard's claim to fame was brawling. I expect if the NFL followed the lead of the international game and, at least, cut back on the fisticuffs, the game would be much safer.

I'm talking about Bergeron's playing with a broken rib and punctured lung in the Cup finals.
Don't forget a separated shoulder.

He tore cartilage in game 4, broke a rib in game 5, and punctured his lung/separated his shoulder in game 6. A true warrior and possibly my favorite Bruin of all time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom