OT: Memories of bad beer | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

OT: Memories of bad beer

Blatz beer. $2.99 for a 12 pack at the Shur-Fine in Alfred, NY in the late 80s.

The beer whose name your body says the next day when you get the Blatz Splats.

We lived on this and Goebel

View attachment 200277
View attachment 200278
Remember the Blatz taste test commercials? We always called Goebel "Fine French Lager" to make up for the fact that it was neither fine, French, or lager.

How is there no mention about one of the legendary worst tasting beers? I remember shot gunning these warm, straight from my buddy's trunk while skipping school, back in my high school days.
download.jpg

Last edited:
How is there no mention about one of the legendary worst tasking beers? I remember shot gunning these warm, straight from my buddy's trunk while skipping school, back in my high school days.View attachment 200300
Piels Real Draft . . . “The kind of beer you first loved” or so the slogan went. Primarily because of the price. 3 Quarts for a buck if memory serves me. Which maybe it doesn’t because I drank so much of it in my youth.

Last edited:
071E59D7-8C98-4541-86AD-E708965BFEFA.jpeg

If this hasn’t been mentioned already, why? By far the worst I’ve ever had, just the thought of smelling the putrid gases released by opening a can is making me queasy. Instant heart burn and a horrible hangover. Not to mention, it was only $5 A CASE back in ‘95 (I think the brewery was bought out a few years before and it was actually discontinued a year or so before, so basically they were simply getting rid of their existing stocks)

Nothing beats the beast

How is there no mention about one of the legendary worst tasking beers? I remember shot gunning these warm, straight from my buddy's trunk while skipping school, back in my high school days.View attachment 200300

I posted it in another thread, but we’d get a CASE of Piels longnecks from Students Choice for $5.

After the 2nd one, you almost didn’t notice that they tasted like azz.

Genny Cream Ale aka Genny Screamers.
Ooof.

For me, the worst was the Matt’s beer ball.
It had a strong metallic aftertaste that was just awful.

Oh, man, the super-cheap beers I drank in my lowest moments were Carling Black Label, Hoffenreffer and Matt's splits.
Which lead to Matt’s Splats.

Remember the Blatz taste test commercials? We always called Goebel "Fine French Lager" to make up for the fact that it was neither fine, French, or lager.

Hah! We always referred to Goebel as a "Fine French Beer" in my fraternity. Used to buy it by the keg for our parties. The distributor would deliver to the house. Driver said, "only you college kids drink this " Good times. If they still made it, I'd buy a 12er for old times sake.

I posted it in another thread, but we’d get a CASE of Piels longnecks from Students Choice for $5.

After the 2nd one, you almost didn’t notice that they tasted like azz.

Genny Cream Ale aka Genny Screamers.
Ooof.

For me, the worst was the Matt’s beer ball.
It had a strong metallic aftertaste that was just awful.
That's my experience with Genny Cream but it's funny that now, it's an award-winner at numerous beer judgings!

That's my experience with Genny Cream but it's funny that now, it's an award-winner at numerous beer judgings!
Genny Creams I thought were generally good...but the screamers were real. I had one a few months ago at a beach side bar in Florida...no screams fortunately.

Last edited:
I don’t know what I was drinking; but Auntie Mames had 10 cent drafts for Monday Night Football. Beef Steak Charlie’s had all the wine, beer, or sangria that you could drink.

Balentine triple X was nasty.

Wasn't horrible but reportedly had a very short shelf life before going bad.
1619401305053.png

This thread is bringing back memories.

I remember in 1997 my buddy's frat had an after hours and because they couldnt have kegs, they bought like 30-35 cases of the cheapest beer know to man. I was determined to have 1 of each variety they bought.

17 shitty beers later...oiy that was a bad night and following day.

Anyone remember this stuff? Back in the late 90s, my buddies and I found it in that beer store that was right in the middle of Marshall Street (is that even still there?)...I think it was like $5.99 or $6.99 a 12 pack or something. It was actually not terrible. It still exists but I think its exclusive to Canada now. I certainly can't find it down in NJ.

s-l640.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom