OT: Memories of bad beer | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

OT: Memories of bad beer

This thread is bringing back memories.

I remember in 1997 my buddy's frat had an after hours and because they couldnt have kegs, they bought like 30-35 cases of the cheapest beer know to man. I was determined to have 1 of each variety they bought.

17 shitty beers later...oiy that was a bad night and following day.

Anyone remember this stuff? Back in the late 90s, my buddies and I found it in that beer store that was right in the middle of Marshall Street (is that even still there?)...I think it was like $5.99 or $6.99 a 12 pack or something. It was actually not terrible. It still exists but I think its exclusive to Canada now. I certainly can't find it down in NJ.

View attachment 200332

Apparently they moved production to Kitchener, ON. I bet you can find it at the Duty Free Store at the border around Buffalo. Possibly even at the 1000 Islands.

I posted it in another thread, but we’d get a CASE of Piels longnecks from Students Choice for $5.

After the 2nd one, you almost didn’t notice that they tasted like azz.

Genny Cream Ale aka Genny Screamers.
Ooof.

For me, the worst was the Matt’s beer ball.
It had a strong metallic aftertaste that was just awful.
Couldn't beat the beer ball on a budget. The $5 reusable tap put it over the top. We used to play golf in the neighborhood with the empty balls.

Reminds me of Kill-a-keg at Nunzi's
Boy that place was a fire trap...I think they had the Thursday night deal. As I remember they were seasonal and opened after Spring Break and closed down around Thanksgiving

Boy that place was a fire trap...I think they had the Thursday night deal. As I remember they were seasonal and opened after Spring Break and closed down around Thanksgiving
I have wondered for years about why Syracuse was never accepted into the Ivy League.

This thread answers that question in authoritative fashion.

Well done to all involved. ;)

So you good folks are either too old or just too classy to not have enjoyed Keystone in all its many shades? Light, Ice, and -- once in a blue moon -- the rare Red (which was just regular beer but came in a red can and case). 30 racks for $7.99 in the 2001 to 2005 era.

I'm too embarrassed to check out of the grocery store with one of those these days, but if someone had one in the fridge I'd be all about it.

I have wondered for years about why Syracuse was never accepted into the Ivy League.

This thread answers that question in authoritative fashion.

Well done to all involved. ;)
Well Nunzi's was a SUNY Oswego institution, but your point is still on spot.

BTW, Oswego St. was "The Ivy League" of Industrial Arts...just for the record.

Do you remember the Tri-Lions bar? They had TNT nights in the summers...Tuesday Night Tr-Lions and Thursday Night at Tri-Lions. I think it was $2 kill a keg.

"America's Best Tasting Beer"
1619447886123.png

Do you remember the Tri-Lions bar? They had TNT nights in the summers...Tuesday Night Tr-Lions and Thursday Night at Tri-Lions. I think it was $2 kill a keg.
Not sure...what year? Was it a frat thing?

So you good folks are either too old or just too classy to not have enjoyed Keystone in all its many shades? Light, Ice, and -- once in a blue moon -- the rare Red (which was just regular beer but came in a red can and case). 30 racks for $7.99 in the 2001 to 2005 era.

I'm too embarrassed to check out of the grocery store with one of those these days, but if someone had one in the fridge I'd be all about it.
Of course. The beer with the specially lined cans to make it taste like it came from a bottle. That was some class A bullsh!t right there. Also, Natural Light. The beer with a taste for food. Drink enough, and you'll be tasting that food twice. The classics.

When we were 25, we were embarrassed about buying condoms or tampons for our wives/girlfriends. Now we're embarrassed about being seen buying crappy beer. Self checkout takes the sting out of it a little.

I went to school in PA, and have quite a fondness of Keystone Light. We could get a keg for $25. Usually, we'd host one party a month, and that would pretty much cover our rent when charging $5 a cup.

Still enjoy Keystone Light to this day, particularly while floating around the pool. Tastes like college.

sure...what year? Was it a frat thing?
I think Tri Lions closed down after freshman year 77-78. I was only there once. I believe it was down Johnson Rd. I remember big specials at Sereno's which also closed down.

When I was in college, we drank a lot of Milwaukee's Best light. I went back for reunion weekend several years later and had one, and it hurt my stomach.

1619460744359.png

Also, there was a bar we used to frequent that had one dollar Schaefer bottles on Thursday nights. As a cash-strapped college student, I used to think it was a great deal... until I spotted some at a liquor store my senior year, and saw that it sold for about $9 bucks per case.

Every Tuesday and Thursday. Whoever had the last beer poured from the keg won a case (of either OV Splits or Rolling Rock).

It's crazy to think about now, but junior/senior year in high school, starting around April, we spent the rest of the school year going there almost every Tuesday and Thursday. All you had to say at the door was "under". Didn't have to show ID, and no one at the bar ever looked to see if your stamp was a different color.

To me, the biggest hazard wasn't the building itself, it was the route to drive there, a dark road in the middle of nowhere with a sharp curve. Shocking that there weren't more accidents.

This is the house that was built on the site.

When we were 25, we were embarrassed about buying condoms or tampons for our wives/girlfriends. Now we're embarrassed about being seen buying crappy beer. Self checkout takes the sting out of it a little.
No reason to be embarrassed. If anything I would be impressed if the cashier tried to bring it up. "Nice cheap beer you got." "Never graduate"

For me the tempature is the key. Genny Cream, Utica Club, Piels, Beast and the like has to be served at just above freezing. It is when they are lukewarm or if you don't drink it fast enough is when the nasty flavor emerges.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom