OT: Memories of bad beer | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

OT: Memories of bad beer

Every Tuesday and Thursday. Whoever had the last beer poured from the keg won a case (of either OV Splits or Rolling Rock).

It's crazy to think about now, but junior/senior year in high school, starting around April, we spent the rest of the school year going there almost every Tuesday and Thursday. All you had to say at the door was "under". Didn't have to show ID, and no one at the bar ever looked to see if your stamp was a different color.

To me, the biggest hazard wasn't the building itself, it was the route to drive there, a dark road in the middle of nowhere with a sharp curve. Shocking that there weren't more accidents.

This is the house that was built on the site.

A buddy of mine ended up in a ditch at that turn with his Monza. We had a bunch of cars leaving at the same time so we stopped and just lifted his car out of the ditch. No harm, no foul.

I think Tri Lions closed down after freshman year 77-78. I was only there once. I believe it was down Johnson Rd. I remember big specials at Sereno's which also closed down.
It rang a bell...I was a Freshman that year...I was 17 the first semester so I couldn't always get in everywhere. I did a lot of all you can drink for $2 beer blasts at Riggs Hall.

I've been waiting for someone to mention Boone's Farm or Ripple. ;)
"You got a dime I've got a nickle, lets go out and drunk on Ripple." "Give me fine wine all the time." That's how the song went.

I bar tended at the Arena Grill in Lake Placid (One of the world's best bars by the way) in the mid 60"s. Ripple came in a three pack of 12 oz bottles. I think we sold it for a fifty cents a bottle. If you drank two, we'd give you the third for free. Nobody ever wanted the third. Good times working at the Arena Grill. I got my One A draft notice one day. That night, I happened to look at the TV and saw the buttetin about the Gulf of Tonkin incident. Oh boy, Here we go.

Last edited:
I went to school in PA, and have quite a fondness of Keystone Light. We could get a keg for $25. Usually, we'd host one party a month, and that would pretty much cover our rent when charging $5 a cup.

Still enjoy Keystone Light to this day, particularly while floating around the pool. Tastes like college.
Keystone Light is Coors Light with out the Colorado water

How dare you!?!?

To this day I still supplement my good beer supply with a few Old Mils into the basement fridge from time to time.
I am actually an OM fan. I bought some over she summer up in Inlet. It is a nice all-day summer beer.

I had a Coors Light the other day - not by choice. It’s all they had. First time in probably 20 years.I can’t believe people choose to drink that stuff.
Back in the day, Coors was legendary on the east coast - mainly because it wasn't sold in the east. I had been out west for a winter and loaded up on it to bring back. Headed to Florida and made some money selling the swill on the beach. Good times.

I had a Coors Light the other day - not by choice. It’s all they had. First time in probably 20 years.I can’t believe people choose to drink that stuff.
That's my preferred tailgate beer.

Back in the day, Coors was legendary on the east coast - mainly because it wasn't sold in the east. I had been out west for a winter and loaded up on it to bring back. Headed to Florida and made some money selling the swill on the beach. Good times.
My ex brother in law and his pals from Oswego State rented an RV and loaded it up to the gills with beer which they sold to spring breakers on the beach in Florida. It was a couple of days before they could empty out the shower stall to clean up. Paid for their trip.

0AE62FB3-5471-4F51-9286-C2A07790E40F.jpeg

Senior year at IC we used to kill these!

Tap? What are you a Rockefeller? Everyone knows you cut the top and dip a cup in the Matt’s beer ball.
I went to school in Cleveland and the worst beers were P.O.C. and Duke from Duquesne Brewing in Pittsburgh. Watery and tasteless.

Also in Ohio there was 3.2 beer for those under 21 and the only beer you could buy on Sunday. Bad stuff.

I went to school in Cleveland and the worst beers were P.O.C. and Duke from Duquesne Brewing in Pittsburgh. Watery and tasteless.

Also in Ohio there was 3.2 beer for those under 21 and the only beer you could buy on Sunday. Bad stuff.
I went to a wedding in Ohio in the late 80s. In the reception they were serving Genny Cream. I was a bit disappointed but the guys from Ohio were giddy about it.

How dare you!?!?

To this day I still supplement my good beer supply with a few Old Mils into the basement fridge from time to time.
After consuming mass quantities of Old Milwaukee in my college days, I haven't touched it in the past 25 years. I may have to go get some for old times sake.

Genny Cream with the subsequent Genny Screamers. Ugh.
I remember when I first moved down to the Atlanta area in the mid 90s, I was invited to a 'bring a six pack from your home area' party - most people are transplants down here. Most people brought good beer, I found a 6-pack of Genny Cream Ale. At the end of the night there were 6 opened but not finished bottles. I was proud of my choice.

I went to a wedding in Ohio in the late 80s. In the reception they were serving Genny Cream. I was a bit disappointed but the guys from Ohio were giddy about it.

I was at a wedding in Erie in 2013 where they were serving Yuengling from a keg. And the bartender managed to get cigarette ashes into my first beer. In 2013.

Bad times.

Apparently they moved production to Kitchener, ON. I bet you can find it at the Duty Free Store at the border around Buffalo. Possibly even at the 1000 Islands.
I’ve seen it

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom