Mike Hopkins and UW | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Mike Hopkins and UW

No one is concerned with his ability to recruit?

Banchero was likely going to UW until he saw what happened last season. His parents are both big time UW alumnus, and both are very close with the UW AD. Up until a few months ago, it was either UW or going pro.

Hickman, Watson and Nowell were misses. Hop recruited them all heavily, none chose UW. Nowell is concerning as he is from the city and his brother went to UW. Hickman was projected to go to UW up until the very end. Somewhere Hop or the program lost them.

We have Jackson Grant signed. That’s it. Not exactly promising. 2021 class was suppose to the big year recruiting class for UW, especially with the lack of in state talent for the 2020 class. It was a big miss. The idea was Hop didn’t sign anyone in 2020 to go all in 2021. We have one recruit for this year and next.

Who do you expect to get? Washington is not exactly Kentucky. Fact is, Washington is probably not even a top 30 basketball school, so expecting to get top recruits is a fools errand, the past few years be damned.

Who do you expect to get? Washington is not exactly Kentucky. Fact is, Washington is probably not even a top 30 basketball school, so expecting to get top recruits is a fools errand, the past few years be damned.

Of course UW isn’t Kansas or UNC. But they are still a P5 school in a basketball hotbed. Not being able to keep any of the local talent is a bad look. As awful as Romar was, he was always able to keep the Seattle recruits at home (DeJounte Murray, Wroten, Brockman, Spencer Hawes, Isaiah Thomas, etc.). If Hop can’t recruit locally, he stands no chance here. To be fair, I think a lot of the local recruiting misses falls on Conroy, who was kept on staff to recruit the local kids.

Bottom line is that the recruiting needs to be better. Having one guy signed between 2020 and 2021 is a recipe for disaster.

Dash, appreciate your posts and you are generally very measured. But I disagree here. While I think it is certainly premature for UW to put Hop on the hot seat, I just do not see a situation and where in 2-5 years Hop has been a bust at UW but SU welcomes him back with open arms, and the fans are happy. The fanbase would go apoplectic. Would we love have him as an assistant, absolutely. Now if he turns it around and does great over the next few seasons, yes that would be fantastic to welcome him back. But otherwise, I just don't understand it.

The fans would be clamoring for a very strong mid-major hire, or a step up hire from a lower level P5 program where the coach has performed well. Think Holtmann, Mack, Tony Bennett. Now if Hop is a Tony Bennett, that is a massive win for us. But if he does not win 20+ games for a few seasons, we should and will demand a coach who has proven to be successful.

Virginia is a step below us?

Banchero was likely going to UW until he saw what happened last season. His parents are both big time UW alumnus, and both are very close with the UW AD. Up until a few months ago, it was either UW or going pro.

Hickman, Watson and Nowell were misses. Hop recruited them all heavily, none chose UW. Nowell is concerning as he is from the city and his brother went to UW. Hickman was projected to go to UW up until the very end. Somewhere Hop or the program lost them.

We have Jackson Grant signed. That’s it. Not exactly promising. 2021 class was suppose to the big year recruiting class for UW, especially with the lack of in state talent for the 2020 class. It was a big miss. The idea was Hop didn’t sign anyone in 2020 to go all in 2021. We have one recruit for this year and next.

Hopkins was a consistently strong recruiter at Syracuse.

Maybe Washington is the problem and not Hopkins? Maybe part of it is the recruiting territories too? Hopkins primarily recruited in the East at Syracuse, obviously and I’m sure that’s where the majority of his strongest connections are? It paid off with Stewart for Washington, but maybe recruiting the west coast is a bit of a challenge for a career long northeast coach?

If we’re ranking all the P5 basketball programs, Washington is decidedly middle of the pack in terms of what it offers, no?

Maybe a little above middle in the Pac-12, but would be bottom tier in the ACC.

Hopkins will crush it recruiting wise at Syracuse.

The fact that Hop still pulled Stewart out to UW is all I would need to see if I was UW fan.
UW hasnt exactly put a lot of folks in the nba and if you are a stud recruit, idc if you’re local or not, it’s going to affect your mindset. They hit on Thybulle but besides him they got murry then who? Fultz? Damn, I might be embarrassed to mention him on the recruiting trail.
Listen, it’s hard to go up against UK

The fact that Hop still pulled Stewart out to UW is all I would need to see if I was UW fan.
UW hasnt exactly put a lot of folks in the nba and if you are a stud recruit, idc if you’re local or not, it’s going to affect your mindset. They hit on Thybulle but besides him they got murry then who? Fultz? Damn, I might be embarrassed to mention him on the recruiting trail.
Listen, it’s hard to go up against UK

Washington actually has a weirdly good NBA track record compared to their team success.

Fultz had a decent year this year. His story isn’t over yet.

They’ve had Brandon Roy, Isaiah Thomas, and Nate Robinson. Tony Wroten. More recently, Justin Holiday, Marquesse Chriss, Dejounte Murray, Terrance Ross. They’ve had some guys. Probably better than us in the 2000s, as far as NBA players. They just don’t usually have good teams.

Of course UW isn’t Kansas or UNC. But they are still a P5 school in a basketball hotbed. Not being able to keep any of the local talent is a bad look. As awful as Romar was, he was always able to keep the Seattle recruits at home (DeJounte Murray, Wroten, Brockman, Spencer Hawes, Isaiah Thomas, etc.). If Hop can’t recruit locally, he stands no chance here. To be fair, I think a lot of the local recruiting misses falls on Conroy, who was kept on staff to recruit the local kids.

Bottom line is that the recruiting needs to be better. Having one guy signed between 2020 and 2021 is a recipe for disaster.

Schlitz happens.

Washington actually has a weirdly good NBA track record compared to their team success.

Fultz had a decent year this year. His story isn’t over yet.

They’ve had Brandon Roy, Isaiah Thomas, and Nate Robinson. Tony Wroten. More recently, Justin Holiday, Marquesse Chriss, Dejounte Murray, Terrance Ross. They’ve had some guys. Probably better than us in the 2000s, as far as NBA players. They just don’t usually have good teams.

Romar could recruit like nobody’s business.

He just sucked at actually coaching.

Hopkins was a consistently strong recruiter at Syracuse.

Maybe Washington is the problem and not Hopkins? Maybe part of it is the recruiting territories too? Hopkins primarily recruited in the East at Syracuse, obviously and I’m sure that’s where the majority of his strongest connections are? It paid off with Stewart for Washington, but maybe recruiting the west coast is a bit of a challenge for a career long northeast coach?

If we’re ranking all the P5 basketball programs, Washington is decidedly middle of the pack in terms of what it offers, no?

Maybe a little above middle in the Pac-12, but would be bottom tier in the ACC.

Hopkins will crush it recruiting wise at Syracuse.

I would agree with this for the most part. His ties are to the east coast. But he is coaching on the west coast. Most of those ties are gone. Right now, I’m not sure what his recruiting strategy is. As of late, his answer has been with transfers. With no one signed for this class, he brought in three transfers. Not sure how sustainable it is to do that.

UW‘s recruiting strategy has always been, put a fence around the state, and keep the local talent at home. Seattle is a hotbed for NBA, like someone else mentioned, UW has had more NBA players in the last 10-20 years than your own program which is considered better than UW. As a UW fan, this was probably the first time in about 15 years that we didn’t get any of the 4-5 star local kids. They all went elsewhere to play.

UW has never had a problem with talent in the past, it’s always been coaching. Now it seems to be the opposite. Hop can coach, but can he get the right players here?

Romar could recruit like nobody’s business.

He just sucked at actually coaching.

Amazing recruiter, but awful coach. He had a few teams with 2 or 3 NBA players on the roster and could never do much with them. He missed the dance with Wroten and Terrence Ross, two first round picks. Barely made the dance with Isaiah Thomas, Abdul Gaddy, Quincy Pondexter and Justin Holiday.

He was able to pull Fultz away from the east coast. Seemed like he got nearly every big time Seattle recruit to go to UW.

Virginia is a step below us?

No, re-read my post. OSU, Louisville and Virgina landed coaches from programs that were a step below - either strong mid majors or lower level P5s where the coaches excelled. Hence my noting of the coaches who came from Butler, Xavier and Wash St.

That is in my view the recipe for success. Find that guy. Would love for it to be Oates, but let's see. Bama isn't a bad P5 hoops school (like Wash St was before Bennett), and they have very deep pockets.

Your confusing me. You say that no one is concerned with recruiting and then you post concerns about recruiting. He is not going to get every kid. Shane Nowell is barely in the top 100. The Nowell and McDaniels families do not like each other. That is probably why he picked zona. Not much can be done about that. Turn down a top 10 kid because you might land a top 100. They lost Banchero to Duke and Hickman to UK

Amazing recruiter, but awful coach. He had a few teams with 2 or 3 NBA players on the roster and could never do much with them. He missed the dance with Wroten and Terrence Ross, two first round picks. Barely made the dance with Isaiah Thomas, Abdul Gaddy, Quincy Pondexter and Justin Holiday.

He was able to pull Fultz away from the east coast. Seemed like he got nearly every big time Seattle recruit to go to UW.
I think $$$ might have something to do with it. Why do you think he went to join Sean Miller at Zona as an assistant after getting fired at UW?

Your confusing me. You say that no one is concerned with recruiting and then you post concerns about recruiting. He is not going to get every kid. Shane Nowell is barely in the top 100. The Nowell and McDaniels families do not like each other. That is probably why he picked zona. Not much can be done about that. Turn down a top 10 kid because you might land a top 100. They lost Banchero to Duke and Hickman to UK

First sentence was rhetorical.

Either way it’s been a complete 180 from his first two years. Is he getting fired? Highly unlikely. If he bottoms out this season, the seat will be warm at the very least.

We can agree to disagree, but IMO, Hop and the coaching staff struck out on the 2021 class. I give him a pass on 2020 because I think the plan was to not waste a scholarship and save it for 2021. Since we didn’t get anyone, Hop maneuvered for Bajema, Stevenson and Nate Pryor. I do commend him for doing a nice patch job as I do like Stevenson and Bajema is intriguing.

But when you have two of your better players go ineligible, there are flags. I still need to see development under Hop. Can you really say anyone has gotten better over a period of time under Hop. I thought Naz had a nice jump from frosh to soph, but didn’t take the next leap in his junior season. Wright has been underwhelming his entire time here. Bey hasn’t done much of anything. Hardy and BPJ left because they weren’t getting PT.

I’m a huge UW fan, I will always feel more confident with Hop than Romar, but there is a lot to be proven. He needs to show he can win and build a program. So far he has shown he can win, but they were with someone else’s recruits.

First sentence was rhetorical.

Either way it’s been a complete 180 from his first two years. Is he getting fired? Highly unlikely. If he bottoms out this season, the seat will be warm at the very least.

We can agree to disagree, but IMO, Hop and the coaching staff struck out on the 2021 class. I give him a pass on 2020 because I think the plan was to not waste a scholarship and save it for 2021. Since we didn’t get anyone, Hop maneuvered for Bajema, Stevenson and Nate Pryor. I do commend him for doing a nice patch job as I do like Stevenson and Bajema is intriguing.

But when you have two of your better players go ineligible, there are flags. I still need to see development under Hop. Can you really say anyone has gotten better over a period of time under Hop. I thought Naz had a nice jump from frosh to soph, but didn’t take the next leap in his junior season. Wright has been underwhelming his entire time here. Bey hasn’t done much of anything. Hardy and BPJ left because they weren’t getting PT.

I’m a huge UW fan, I will always feel more confident with Hop than Romar, but there is a lot to be proven. He needs to show he can win and build a program. So far he has shown he can win, but they were with someone else’s recruits.
We will trade you 2 Babers and an OL coach for Hop.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom