OT: my granddaughter had a game today | Syracusefan.com

OT: my granddaughter had a game today

stuckinbig11

All American
Forgive me, but I needed to share this with some folks that would appreciate it. My son called from Asheville, NC to let me know that my 13-yr-old granddaughter's middle school team won 34-17. Anna had 27 points (4 of 6 from 3), 10 rebounds, and took a charge. I think she likes basketball.

Forgive me, but I needed to share this with some folks that would appreciate it. My son called from Asheville, NC to let me know that my 13-yr-old granddaughter's middle school team won 34-17. Anna had 27 points (4 of 6 from 3), 10 rebounds, and took a charge. I think she likes basketball.
WOW!! You must be busting your buttons. :)

Coach Q take note. Congratulations granddad, your son and of course to your granddaughter.

Can she play center and reclassify?

34–17? What a rock fight ;)

Congrats!! Sounds like she’s got a bright future ahead. If you don’t mind me asking, how tall is she?

Your son should start recording her games if he hasn't already. A free education is nothing to sneeze at.

Between your granddaughter being the next Lisa Leslie and you being the board's one millionth poster, your family is basketball royalty.

That's because you always had your foot on the line.

Watched Eric Devendorf too much

(His career doesn’t actually lineup with my time in Middle School, but we can pretend for the sake of the joke.)

27 of 34? Her assist total leaves a lot to be desired. ;)

True dat.

And most importantly - how’s her body language in the huddle? ;)

We all know (thanks to a handful of prolific posters) *that* is the most important determinant of hoops success

incredulously, we just created a thread for this stuff.

incredulously, we just created a thread for this stuff.

LOLOLOL...I was so waiting for you to find that thread...Cannot wait to see your "contributions"...

Hi, I'm Bob, I'm 5'4" and 300 lbs and run the 40 in about a week and a half. My vertical is just under 2 inches and I cannot walk and chew gum at the same time. Last time I tried, I tripped and fell and shattered my femur and was bed-ridden for 6 months. My last athletic activity was being the 12th man on my U10 rec (insert sport here) team.

This is my wife Mary. She is 5'3" and 250 lbs. She never played sports. Ever.

But our son/daughter is killing it in U4 travel (insert sport here). He/she has his/her own trainer (at $200 an hour) and it is just a matter of time until the offers start pouring in.

LOLOLOL...I was so waiting for you to find that thread...Cannot wait to see your "contributions"...

Hi, I'm Bob, I'm 5'4" and 300 lbs and run the 40 in about a week and a half. My vertical is just under 2 inches and I cannot walk and chew gum at the same time. Last time I tried, I tripped and fell and shattered my femur and was bed-ridden for 6 months. My last athletic activity was being the 12th man on my U10 rec (insert sport here) team.

But our son/daughter is killing it in U4 travel (insert sport here). He/she has his/her own trainer (at $200 an hour) and it is just a matter of time until the offers start pouring in.
absolutely spot on!!!

and you also just described half of the conversations i hear at the pub or in the stands at my kids events.

its why i like coaching, when i get the emails...why is my son not starting at OLB?? he was awesome at flag!

i just cust and paste this response...well, this is tackle and your son slow, soft and scared to death out there...a total liability. but he will be fine trust me, he wont get hurt because he doesnt hit anyone, but i am worried he will get his friends killed so i wont play him. have you considered soccer??

absolutely spot on!!!

and you also just described half of the conversations i hear at the pub or in the stands at my kids events.

its why i like coaching, when i get the emails...why is my son not starting at OLB?? he was awesome at flag!

i just cust and paste this response...well, this is tackle and your son slow, soft and scared to death out there...a total liability. but he will be fine trust me, he wont get hurt because he doesnt hit anyone, but i am worried he will get his friends killed so i wont play him. have you considered soccer??
I know it well. I coached both my kids in a number of sports and leaving youth sports in the rear view mirror was not an unhappy day.

Generally, the shorter, fatter, more unathletic and the less one knows about the sport, the more the person has to say.

If you want to find that really loud parent screaming nonsense at coaches, refs, players etc., look for the 4'2" 280 lb behemoth.

It continues at the high school level but, at least I don't have to deal with it anymore.

I just sit way off by myself so I don't have to listen to it.

absolutely spot on!!!

BTW, I don't know if you've noticed but one of JB's most frequent and ardent critics on this board has also freely offered up the fact that he was end of bench kid from the getgo.

Board imitates life n'est-ce pas?

BTW, I don't know if you've noticed but one of JB's most frequent and ardent critics on this board has also freely offered up the fact that he was end of bench kid from the getgo.

Board imitates life n'est-ce pas?
those who can...play.

those who cant...coach.

those who really cant do either...critique

No where is this more true than in high school lacrosse. That the kid plays no other sport -- or at least no other sport well --- and that neither parent was particularly athletic never seems to register with these people as having anything to do with their own kids chances.

There's a special lens that parents look through that somehow doesn't allow them to see the obvious.

And it doesn't stop there. I sat in stunned disbelief as a guy who had played basketball as a guard in the ACC talked about the schools that he thought his own slow, short son could aspire to. It was self-delusion at a high level. And his guy was also a great youth basketball coach.

The kid, whose talent and potential were apparently not visible to all coaches that saw him play, ended up trying to walk-on at a low mid major. He lasted a couple of days and did get a couple of nice practice T-shirts out of it. Of course, there was the usual "He didn't get a fair shot. He was injured" or "The coach doesn't know how to evaluate talent" from the father.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom