OT: Naming rights | Syracusefan.com

OT: Naming rights

I reject the notion that the concept of naming rights wasnt anything but prettt darn mature in the 90s, certainly not in their infancy.

Schaefer Stadium opened in 1971. Rich Stadium in 1973. I’d guess at least half of pro venues had a naming rights deal by the mid-to-late 90s.

Coors cut a sweet deal but it’s not because people didn’t know better.

I don’t consider the deal SU cut with Carrier to be the same. It was intended to be like the Schine family putting their name on a student center.

Would Carrier throw in some new $$$$ for the new non dome facility if the name became
“ The Carrier No-Dome.”

I reject the notion that the concept of naming rights wasnt anything but prettt darn mature in the 90s, certainly not in their infancy.

I don’t consider the deal SU cut with Carrier to be the same. It was intended to be like the Schine family putting their name on a student center.

Pin this for use whenever that idiotic debate comes up.

Would Carrier throw in some new $$$$ for the new non dome facility if the name became
“ The Carrier No-Dome.”

"domed stadium"
Definition
(noun) a stadium that has a roof

Maybe I'm reading into it too much, but I thought it was interesting that Wildhack referenced "the dome" the other day in his interview talking about fall sports and did not attach Carrier to it.

Schaefer Stadium opened in 1971. Rich Stadium in 1973. I’d guess at least half of pro venues had a naming rights deal by the mid-to-late 90s.

Coors cut a sweet deal but it’s not because people didn’t know better.

I'll argue that Shine's aren't trying to sell a product to consumers.

Carrier not only is a commercial entity that clearly sought to financially capitalize on the naming rights, they required their corporate logo to be put on the inside and outside of the facility.

We could remove their logos and see how fast they take court action. Minutes?

Pin this for use whenever that idiotic debate comes up.
Which debate is that? The one about the University's attempt to create revenue to rename the renovated "stadium?".

Does not really matter. It was a naming gift like Shine's and others. it was unique at the time because the gift was from a corporation but it was still unlike current "naming rights" deals.

Carrier not only is a commercial entity that clearly sought to financially capitalize on the naming rights, they required their corporate logo to be put on the inside and outside of the facility.

Take the Newhouse name off of the side of that building and I bet there would be litigation real quick from that family as well. Whether it's a corporation or an individual donor, naming gifts (especially with gifts that large) usually come with legally binding agreements.

Oh, I don't disagree at all. Just noting that the deal SU and Carrier cut was not for naming rights in the way we know them, but rather was a gift.

I fully expect SU to get out of that arrangement when the time comes.

Oh, I don't disagree at all. Just noting that the deal SU and Carrier cut was not for naming rights in the way we know them, but rather was a gift.

I fully expect SU to get out of that arrangement when the time comes.

Yep, as they should.

"domed stadium"
Definition
(noun) a stadium that has a roof
It’s astonishing how many seem to think just because the material is being replaced, it suddenly will no longer be a dome.

Which debate is that? The one about the University's attempt to create revenue to rename the renovated "stadium?".

Gift vs. naming rights deal.

I'm not doing the internet leg-work on this one, but I am almost certain that there wasn't any requirement like that. The blue 'Carrier' oval didn't go up in the west end zone until the late '80s, the basketball court stickers came about as an actual corporate sponsorship deal about 15 years ago, and there's never been any corporate branding on the building exterior. Again, historic photos would bear this out but I don't have the time right now.

How a bromance between Jim Boeheim, Adam Weitsman created Syracuse’s most visible fan

He’s had discussions with the school regarding the Carrier Dome’s naming rights and the idea of getting his business attached in some way as part of a branding effort. He doesn’t think it’s likely that the school can get out of its contract with Carrier, which provides the air-conditioning company the naming rights “in perpetuity.”

Even if they were to get out of it, I wouldn't want to be the company getting the first naming rights deal on the building.

People will always either just say "The Carrier Dome" or "The Dome"

How many people still say Carousel? Or PNC Stadium?

Even if they were to get out of it, I wouldn't want to be the company getting the first naming rights deal on the building.

That's part of the reason there's so little value in the rights to this building. It's got a name and it's not going to shed that for 99% of people, even in a quasi-official context (think of how many broadcasters still say "Orangemen" after 15 years).

If we're stuck with the Carrier Dome name, is there a loophole where they can add a second level of naming?

"The Golden Corral Carrier Dome"
If feel like this conversation has happened to dead horse levels. But I’m of the belief that the way it was named is cut and dry. You wouldn’t change Carnegie Library, or any other building with a name on it.
That said, I’m with you. The Wegmans Carrier Dome. The Weitsman Carrier Dome. The United States Navy Aircraft Carrier Dome. See what I did there?

People don't say "Knickerbocker Arena" or "Pepsi Arena" anymore. Names change. People adapt. I think there is value in the rights but Carrier is not stupid. They have no real incentive to give it up. It is valuable to them. If it wasn't, they'd be happy to shed it.

People don't say "Knickerbocker Arena" or "Pepsi Arena" anymore. Names change. People adapt. I think there is value in the rights but Carrier is not stupid. They have no real incentive to give it up. It is valuable to them. If it wasn't, they'd be happy to shed it.

It's been the Carrier Dome for almost 40 years. It would take generations of people to die before the next name truly caught.

You use an arena that's on it's 3rd name in 30 years.

Names change and people do adapt, but in this specific instance it would take a very long time

It's been the Carrier Dome for almost 40 years. It would take generations of people to die before the next name truly caught.

You use an arena that's on it's 3rd name in 30 years.

Names change and people do adapt, but in this specific instance it would take a very long time
If no one would buy the rights, SU would not care about getting Carrier to relinquish them. The name is valuable and there are people who would want to pay. Broadcasters and SU start using the new name and over time, people follow.

If no one would buy the rights, SU would not care about getting Carrier to relinquish them. The name is valuable and there are people who would want to pay. Broadcasters and SU start using the new name and over time, people follow.

I'm aware how it all works. Obviously if the naming rights were available - a company would want them.

It doesn't change the fact it would take a very long time for the fans to call it whatever name was used.

I don't even use Carrier anymore and they're on the building. "Hey I'm going up to the dome for the game"

Imagine it was named Upstate Shredding Arena..... you'd say the Dome forever lol