OT - need some gaming advice | Syracusefan.com

OT - need some gaming advice

CuseFaninVT

2023-24 Iggy Winner Leading Rebounder
Admins - feel free to move this to the OT board, but I posted here because I figured lots of folks here are gamers.

I've got a 10 year old son who is very active, and has had a Wii for several years now. One of his favorite games is Madden, and they are no longer making Madden for Wii. So we are thinking maybe it's time to upgrade.

Recommendations for a replacement gaming system? He's never done online stuff and we don't allow the shooter games.

If you like the Wii for the ability to be active, and use motion sensor stuff to play, then I'd recommend getting an XBox with Kinect. I'm a PlayStation fan personally, but Kinect is great. It's also a hell of a workout with some games. I played at my brother's house a few Christmases ago, and woke up sore as all hell the next morning (and this was when I was still running 5 miles per day, so it wasn't because I was out of shape).

If you like the Wii for the ability to be active, and use motion sensor stuff to play, then I'd recommend getting an XBox with Kinect. I'm a PlayStation fan personally, but Kinect is great. It's also a hell of a workout with some games. I played at my brother's house a few Christmases ago, and woke up sore as all hell the next morning (and this was when I was still running 5 miles per day, so it wasn't because I was out of shape).

Thanks bro. Do you know what the difference is between X-Box one and 360? I'd hate to buy a system that will be obsolete in a couple years (again) but the price tag one the One is hefty.

Xbox one is the new system the 360 will be outdated within a year to 18 months...
PS3 is the old system the PS4 is the new system.
PS4 is $400 xbox one is $500 is if you can find either in the store...

We got my son a PS3 a few years ago which I could legitimize being a blu ray player as well. Something to think about if its going on a tv that doesn't already have a blu ray as I believe the xbox only plays reg dvds.

I struggle to see how the new systems can necessitate their price. PS3 games are already 1080p or 720p and xbox is 720p. Can't really make graphics better than 1080p and ps3 and ps4 screen shots look identical.

Long story short, get him an 8 bit, mario 3 and tecmo superbowl.

We got my son a PS3 a few years ago which I could legitimize being a blu ray player as well. Something to think about if its going on a tv that doesn't already have a blu ray as I believe the xbox only plays reg dvds.

I struggle to see how the new systems can necessitate their price. PS3 games are already 1080p or 720p and xbox is 720p. Can't really make graphics better than 1080p and ps3 and ps4 screen shots look identical.

Long story short, get him an 8 bit, mario 3 and tecmo superbowl.

I'm getting him a bike. Screw this nonsense.

Don't listen to the people in this thread who mention that the XBox 360 will be obsolete in a year or so...that's pretty misguided. The system's been around for over 7 years and is still going strong.

It's going to be another Playstation2 scenario, where they will still make new games for the older systems for the next few years at least. Microsoft confirmed this. It's going to be around for at least another 3 years...

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2013/09/microsoft-xbox-360-support-to-go-for-another-three-years/

Hell, Grand Theft Auto 5 was EXCLUSIVE to this current generation (XBox 360, PS3) and that's one of the best selling games ever. The reason why they did that is because developers are pushing the hardware to its max, and there's still enough power in these current systems (PS3, XBox 360) to make a game of that caliber. (And btw, if you have ANY interest in experiencing one of the best games ever made on any console, ever, do yourself a favor and pick up GTA 5 and play it after the kids have gone to bed. It's truly a masterpiece of the medium.)

Get an XBox 360 with a 250gb HD...they're DIRT cheap now.

It really depends how you see your son using this, and if you want/need a BluRay player. If you see your son using this system for a few years and then wanting to get a new one in 4-5 years, go with an XBox 360. If you need a BluRay player go with the PS3.

Another point is that the price point for games for this current console cycle are continually dropping, and if you get him a PS3, there's an online option through the PS store that will allow you to download games for free. XBox live has that as well, but it's only two free games a month. PS3 has many games for free online.

I've had an XBox 360 since 2006, am a HUGE gamer, and don't plan to upgrade to the new generation for at least two years, possibly longer, if at all. There's a point now where there just isn't that much improvement you can make regarding graphics. The new generation is putting their money on features and entertainment. This is an excellent article that focuses on that point.

http://www.extremetech.com/gaming/1...inishing-returns-of-next-gen-console-graphics

Bottom line, if he's going to use it just for gaming, go with an XBox 360. I'd get a hard drive that's over 4GB though. If you use apps on the XBox, (ESPN - to watch CUSE games on ESPN3/Watch ESPN, HBO GO, Netflix, etc) you'll need something over 4GB. Also if you plan to download any games from XBox live on to the hard drive, they take about 2-3GB each, so you need a bigger HD. (Although, you can pick up a used Kinect later if you want to save some $). That's what I did. I started with the 20GB way back when and upgraded to a 250GB HD once I needed more space.)

If you don't have a Bluray player in your living room, and would like to kill two birds with one stone, go with the PS3. NO need at all to get a new console (XBox One or PS4) unless you're also a gamer, or would like to see this console last him until he goes to college.

Last edited:
Also very curious which route you go. New flat screen in the living room, I've got to hook this up correct. My son is only 6 1/2, but PS2 is wearing thin on him.
little man = #seasonedgamer

I'll let you know Tee. We are planning on getting the basement finished at some point and I'd like to have that down there instead of in the family room bothering my wife (she's so noise sensitive). I like the idea of the 360 with Kinect for the next few years and then let him spend his own damn money upgrading beyond that.

Also very curious which route you go. New flat screen in the living room, I've got to hook this up correct. My son is only 6 1/2, but PS2 is wearing thin on him.
little man = #seasonedgamer

PS3's are coming way down in price. Think we have the 300GB version so won't ever run out of memory. We jumped from PS2 to PS3 because the controllers are identical, albeit wireless, and there are certain franchises we follow. I find the xbox controllers bulky and uncomfortable but the xbox controllers have much better trigger buttons. Gran Turismo is the big one but Forza is the same level of awesome for XBox. My son played through all 3 Uncharted games as well, not sure if they're PS specific or not. Pretty much, folks are a fan of whatever they have or know and you could start massive arguements with serious gamers ie xbox vs ps; Gran Turismo v Forza; etc, etc.

Whichever you get, get an HDMI cable with it to maximize the system and not tax your TV which will be trying to upscale non stop if you don't.

PS3's are coming way down in price. Think we have the 300GB version so won't ever run out of memory. We jumped from PS2 to PS3 because the controllers are identical, albeit wireless, and there are certain franchises we follow. I find the xbox controllers bulky and uncomfortable but the xbox controllers have much better trigger buttons. Gran Turismo is the big one but Forza is the same level of awesome for XBox. My son played through all 3 Uncharted games as well, not sure if they're PS specific or not. Pretty much, folks are a fan of whatever they have or know and you could start massive arguements with serious gamers ie xbox vs ps; Gran Turismo v Forza; etc, etc.

Whichever you get, get an HDMI cable with it to maximize the system and not tax your TV which will be trying to upscale non stop if you don't.

Definitely. PS3 has some AMAZING games. I've always wanted to play the Uncharted games, but as you said, they're exclusive for PS3. HDMI cables can also be found for under $5 on amazon, don't let the blue shirt goons at Best Buy talk you into needing to pay $20 for one of theirs.

Admins - feel free to move this to the OT board, but I posted here because I figured lots of folks here are gamers.

I've got a 10 year old son who is very active, and has had a Wii for several years now. One of his favorite games is Madden, and they are no longer making Madden for Wii. So we are thinking maybe it's time to upgrade.

Recommendations for a replacement gaming system? He's never done online stuff and we don't allow the shooter games.
Don't allow shooter games? What the communism is up with that?

Don't allow shooter games? What the communism is up with that?

I don't want to 1) prepare him for a life in the Army, or 2) have him turn out to be the next school shooter. Lax and hoops players do better with the ladies than full time gamers (no offense to anyone on this thread especially).

I don't want to 1) prepare him for a life in the Army, or 2) have him turn out to be the next school shooter. Lax and hoops players do better with the ladies than full time gamers (no offense to anyone on this thread especially).
You believe that hogwash? Video games don't make people murderers. I don't consider myself a gamer but my COD games are fun. And I was violent before I ever played a shooter game. I blame hockey and lacrosse.

You believe that hogwash? Video games don't make people murderers. I don't consider myself a gamer but my COD games are fun. And I was violent before I ever played a shooter game. I blame hockey and lacrosse.

I really do. That's what the US gobenment designed them for. Seriously, only kids I know that are allowed to play shooter games that are younger than my boy are both two of the most violent little SOBs you never want to meet. And their parents just don't make the connection at all.

And once he's older, I'm sure I will let him spend his own money on those types of games. But not at 10.

Hockey player too. Probably why I am so messed up

And once he's older, I'm sure I will let him spend his own money on those types of games. But not at 10.

Suppose a good question would be, aside from Madden, what types of games would he be playing?

Suppose a good question would be, aside from Madden, what types of games would he be playing?

Right now he plays Mario Cart, Little League World Series, Wii sports, and Lego Indiana Jones. I really have no idea what he plays at other people's houses which I suppose should be a question.

Yeah, all our friends don't allow their kids to play shooter games. But because of older brother's my sons got exposed. So then my wife and I started playing Call of Duty 2 and not my boys have lost a little interest. It's not as cool since the parents started playing! One day, one of my sons friends calls up and asks if he was online. He replied, "No, that's my parents playing." Too funny! Now in my household my wife is the curse-word police. So we started playing Call of Duty and when the zombies start attacking she gets all excited and starts cursing like a sailor. My sons are snicker and I am laughing because it's just too funny. So now when my wife plays, my son says "Mom uses a bleep gun". Because she bleeps all the time.

I am mixed about the shooter games. Many, many times we have had the conversation games are make believe and you should never ever hurt anyone. It is a tough conversation. My son's also play Minecraft which is a little violent but teaches kids how to program and create 3D worlds in first person 3D interface. So my sons are really good at creating Minecraft worlds. It's a tough conversation about what is appropriate and what is just harmless fun.

The graphics will be significantly better with PS4 and Xbox One. The systems are far faster, have more memory and more powerful graphics cards than the previous generation. There is far more to graphics than 720p or 1080p resolution. A small number of launch games show this advantage. But it will become far more evident as game companies become more familiar with the new systems and take advantage of their capabilities. I plan to wait until this time next year before I jump in.

Last edited: