OT: Not a hurdler like Grandpa, but | Syracusefan.com

OT: Not a hurdler like Grandpa, but

my ninth-grade granddaughter had second-place finishes in long jump, triple jump, and discus in her first varsity track meet.
Fantastic! And what an unusual combination of events. I’ve coached track for many years and have never seen a jumper that throws discus as well. Might she be interested in transferring? I could use her on my team!

In middle school, she was all throws and did well despite not being heavy. She plays basketball and lifts weights, so she is strong. She no longer throws the shot but still has skill for the discus. She has always liked the long jump and had never done the triple jump before this meet. So, I guess she can jump.

In middle school, she was all throws and did well despite not being heavy. She plays basketball and lifts weights, so she is strong. She no longer throws the shot but still has skill for the discus. She has always liked the long jump and had never done the triple jump before this meet. So, I guess she can jump.
Coach Q needs her! :)

Sometimes it's hard for a long jumper to get triple jump down. I would jump too high on the first phase and lose way too much momentum for the next two. I could never get it fixed. It's impressive she finished second as a freshman in her first meet ever doing it.

Sometimes it's hard for a long jumper to get triple jump down. I would jump too high on the first phase and lose way too much momentum for the next two. I could never get it fixed. It's impressive she finished second as a freshman in her first meet ever doing it.
I had a teammate in HS that long jumped over 22‘ and triple jumped over 42’ and that was in the mid 70’s. You don’t see it very often.

I'm a huge Olympic sport fan, extreme sports, just about everything except a few events and love almost all track and field. But with you on this one. Triple jump always seems like a tough gig as that timing and rhythm seems tough to master. Either way, most impressive and I agree it is a great accomplishment to place in that, long jump and discus! Discus is more or less a strength event and to throw that in with long jump and triple is pretty wild. Awesome!

not always. I did both LJ and TJ in HS. I don’t remember one causing a problem for the other.

I'm a huge Olympic sport fan, extreme sports, just about everything except a few events and love almost all track and field. But with you on this one. Triple jump always seems like a tough gig as that timing and rhythm seems tough to master. Either way, most impressive and I agree it is a great accomplishment to place in that, long jump and discus! Discus is more or less a strength event and to throw that in with long jump and triple is pretty wild. Awesome!
I think my biggest issue with TJ was that I left the board off of my left foot which was my stronger leg. I should've saved my left for the jump into the pit. An opposing coach once told mine that I jumped too high on the "hop" portion and lost my momentum for the "step" and "jump" portions. Losing my momentum and and then using my weaker leg for the final jump into the pit were a bad combo. It didn't help that I had a crappy coach that never worked with me on it.

not always. I did both LJ and TJ in HS. I don’t remember one causing a problem for the other.

Yeah, I did both, too. I found that if you tried to go too far on your first jump, your knee kind of buckled a bit, and you couldn't get much out of the middle "hop". I also tried hurdles and pole vault in HS track, but couldn't get the hang of either one.

I started on low hurdles in junior high, ran high and low hurdles in high school, then 120 high hurdles and 440 intermediate hurdles at SU. I puked after every 440 hurdles race. Nobody should ever have to step over hurdles when trying to sprint that distance, especially the last one.

I started on low hurdles in junior high, ran high and low hurdles in high school, then 120 high hurdles and 440 intermediate hurdles at SU. I puked after every 440 hurdles race. Nobody should ever have to step over hurdles when trying to sprint that distance, especially the last one.

I wound up being a runner for 7 years between high school and college. And in all those races, I only puked once, at the end of the Fort Stanwix Run, a 20 km out-and-back that took place on the 4th of July out near Rome.

I did 77 minutes for 20 km, which is one kilometer short of a half-marathon, 12.4 miles. That's averaging 6:21 miles for twelve and a half miles.

By the end of the race, which took place in 90 degree heat and high humidity, I was a zombie, and my feet were just slapping the pavement.

I did beat Baldwinsville Olympian Don Paige in that race, though. One of my best efforts.

I did low hurdles in junior high, didn't run track as a freshman and then, for whatever reason, was intimidated by high hurdles when I came back as a sophomore. I should've given them a shot... at least the 110m.

I did low hurdles in junior high, didn't run track as a freshman and then, for whatever reason, was intimidated by high hurdles when I came back as a sophomore. I should've given them a shot... at least the 110m.
You ran meters; I ran yards, but the switch was to my advantage. In high school, I broke a 19-yr-old record in the low hurdles and my record was still on the books 19 years later when the switch was made to metric. So, my record will never be broken.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom