OT - Notre Dame rape coverups | Syracusefan.com

OT - Notre Dame rape coverups

Incredibly interesting (and long piece) on the happenings at Notre Dame. No school is perfect, but to me these types of things resonate more when the institutions involved try to make you believe that they are perfect or special in some way.

http://deadspin.com/5897809/this-is...me-football-player-of-sexually-assaulting-you

http://ncronline.org/news/accountab...tre-dame-campus-leaves-more-questions-answers

Yeah but but but Syracuse tried to cover up a failed drug test 10 years ago and we were somewhat crucified for it. Why isn't Yahoo all over ND?

To me...lots of problems/slant with the story. If this was a rape, that is a criminal offense. It's case for the police and yet there does not appear to be any comments about why the police are wrong here.

"No charges were filed. Notre Dame police didn't interview the player" - who is "Notre Dame police"? does that mean ND security didn't interview the player? Shouldn't the South Bend police handle this? I hardly think it is a case for ND "public safety officers". And what is a lawyer who is representing a kid who says he didn't rape a girl supposed to say? Maybe the player's version is the truth. Can someone say "Duke Lacrosse Team"?

Yeah but but but Syracuse tried to cover up a failed drug test 10 years ago and we were somewhat crucified for it. Why isn't Yahoo all over ND?

It's funny, whenever I hear about something at Kansas or UConn or one of the SEC or B1G cesspools, I don't care. None of those schools, including Syracuse, pretends to be something that it's not. Penn State and Notre Dame have sanctified their football programs. And Notre Dame is especially disgusting because Swarbrick and Kelly have literally gotten away with negligent homicide. They should have been prosecuted for letting that kid go up on that platform in a freaking a wind storm.

To me...lots of problems/slant with the story. If this was a rape, that is a criminal offense. It's case for the police and yet there does not appear to be any comments about why the police are wrong here.

"No charges were filed. Notre Dame police didn't interview the player" - who is "Notre Dame police"? does that mean ND security didn't interview the player? Shouldn't the South Bend police handle this? I hardly think it is a case for ND "public safety officers". And what is a lawyer who is representing a kid who says he didn't rape a girl supposed to say? Maybe the player's version is the truth. Can someone say "Duke Lacrosse Team"?

All valid questions. And honestly I have only read the deadspin summary. I think the implication that there is an incestuous nature between Notre Dame and South Bend, along with the institutional attempt to discredit the alleged victim seems somewhat sinister. Duke lacrosse was a horrible injustice, and I had a friend in college that I believe was falsely accused of rape, but institutionally there has to be a better way to handle the accuser than what ND did here.

All valid questions. And honestly I have only read the deadspin summary. I think the implication that there is an incestuous nature between Notre Dame and South Bend, along with the institutional attempt to discredit the alleged victim seems somewhat sinister. Duke lacrosse was a horrible injustice, and I had a friend in college that I believe was falsely accused of rape, but institutionally there has to be a better way to handle the accuser than what ND did here.
Could be but most of the quotes were from the kid's lawyer... and because he happened to be an ND grade, there is an inference that he represents ND in this. He doesn't. He represents the accused. I do agree that anyone working at ND should be advised to not comment at all... of course, if they did that, they'd be accused of refusing to comment and hiding the truth. They can't win. It's not all that different than what has happened with SU and e.g. Zach Tomaselli.

Could be but most of the quotes were from the kid's lawyer... and because he happened to be an ND grade, there is an inference that he represents ND in this. He doesn't. He represents the accused. I do agree that anyone working at ND should be advised to not comment at all... of course, if they did that, they'd be accused of refusing to comment and hiding the truth. They can't win. It's not all that different than what has happened with SU and e.g. Zach Tomaselli.

True. But I believe the National Catholic Reporter story goes into much more detail beyond Zach Tomaselli.

Culturally we've turned trial by media into a virtual science. And we seem to buy into whatever the media verdict is, so long as it isn't our own ox being gored.

You mean to tell me that a huge story at ND wouldn't get massive coverage -- negative or positive? It was only a few years ago that there was an entire book -- Under the Tarnished Dome or something -- that went into excruciating detail about how horrible ND is.

Hate ND -- it's all good. But I really don't think there's any shortage of negative coverage when something bad happens there. You would have thought George O'Leary was a murderer.

It's funny, whenever I hear about something at Kansas or UConn or one of the SEC or B1G cesspools, I don't care. None of those schools, including Syracuse, pretends to be something that it's not. Penn State and Notre Dame have sanctified their football programs. And Notre Dame is especially disgusting because Swarbrick and Kelly have literally gotten away with negligent homicide. They should have been prosecuted for letting that kid go up on that platform in a freaking a wind storm.

Here's the problem with this: ND and PSU have made a ton of money and made themselves into CFB powers by effectively marketing their image and brand. To be upset is merely to point out that they've been more successful. Remember, we're the school that just a week ago had several posters pointing out that Marrone's human development program was unlike anything else in college football. It might all be marketing and ND fans can be/are insufferable, but having an NBC contract or a massive endowment to show for it is why they won't be giving up their images any time soon.

Coverup and a sexual abuse report; does this really surprise anyone? Look at how long the Cathlic Church covered up for pedofile priests

Notre Dame isn't located in South Bend. It is located in an unincoporated community called Notre Dame, Indiana. Therefore the SBPD don't have jurisdiction. That's the job of the Notre Dame Security Police: http://ndsp.nd.edu/

It's really a sad story and that poor girl got brutalized for making such a claim.

I'm friends w/ a former Notre Dame student who knew this girl through acquantances still on campus at the time. Needless to see the coverup on this was intense. The locals (some her family members) buried it or refused to talk about any of it knowing full well who the player was and what likely transpired.

It's not all that different than what has happened with SU and e.g. Zach Tomaselli.

It wasn't somebody looking for a cash grab or to lighten upcoming charges against them. It's quite different in that regard

It's funny, whenever I hear about something at Kansas or UConn or one of the SEC or B1G cesspools, I don't care. None of those schools, including Syracuse, pretends to be something that it's not..

Oh no? I guess I've misinterpreted all the hyperventilating by some folks here about Marrone's character-building program, and how he's doing things "the right way".

When it's convenient for us, meaning when it's being used as an excuse for losing, we're as sanctimonious as the best of them.

Oh no? I guess I've misinterpreted all the hyperventilating by some folks here about Marrone's character-building program, and how he's doing things "the right way".

When it's convenient for us, meaning when it's being used as an excuse for losing, we're as sanctimonious as the best of them.

This is an awesome post. If people want to hate ND for being completely full of s--t about how clean and high and mighty they are, it's fine. I don't know that it's always entirely warranted or accurate, but it's fine. But really all people get upset about is that ND has played the "look how great we are" card for longer and more effectively than basically any other school.

It wasn't somebody looking for a cash grab or to lighten upcoming charges against them. It's quite different in that regard
True. It's still one person's word against another until someone steps forward with additional evidence. I am not saying it's been handled well...just that a lot of people (including some on this board) are concluding the alleged victim is being truthful and that a rape happened. Some here claiming the girl was "brutalized" for making the claim. I would submit that using that definition the alleged abuser is getting "brutalized" by many. Until facts are known and criminal charges are filed and the kid is tried... don't jump to verdicts...either way.

Honestly, I was talking more about basketball than football with SU. I've always felt SU made no attempt market itself to be anything more than a championship level basketball program, and not a builder of men.

And as to SU football, is Marrone actually serious about that ? I've taken that as something he said to make fans happy in CNY. I haven't seen SU make its entire football existence to be "we are holier than thou" as Penn State and ND do on a daily basis.

Notre Dame isn't located in South Bend. It is located in an unincoporated community called Notre Dame, Indiana. Therefore the SBPD don't have jurisdiction. That's the job of the Notre Dame Security Police: http://ndsp.nd.edu/
Good to know. Thanks. However, South Bend is the county seat for St. Joseph County. ND is in that country. If there is crime, then the DA of that country should be filing charges.

True. It's still one person's word against another until someone steps forward with additional evidence. I am not saying it's been handled well...just that a lot of people (including some on this board) are concluding the alleged victim is being truthful and that a rape happened. Some here claiming the girl was "brutalized" for making the claim. I would submit that using that definition the alleged abuser is getting "brutalized" by many. Until facts are known and criminal charges are filed and the kid is tried... don't jump to verdicts...either way.

I said brutalized because of knowledge from people that knew her and how things went down on campus afterwards. The alleged abuser isn't brutalized or even scrutinized at all because his identity was never revealed. It wasn't even a rape claim FWIW but rather a detailed sexaul misconduct accusation.

I wasn't there so I have no way of telling 100% what happened, I just asked alot of questions in the aftermath and got alot of answers aside from who the accused player was. The articles states it well in saying the situation leads "more questions than answers".

Everyone is free to make their own conclussions, I'm not pushing mine on anyone. Add up all the pieces and see what you get.

Honestly, I was talking more about basketball than football with SU. I've always felt SU made no attempt market itself to be anything more than a championship level basketball program, and not a builder of men.

And as to SU football, is Marrone actually serious about that ? I've taken that as something he said to make fans happy in CNY. I haven't seen SU make its entire football existence to be "we are holier than thou" as Penn State and ND do on a daily basis.

I think it's an exaggeration to characterize ND that way (and I'm leaving PSU out of this because it's totally irrelevant to this thread).

ND sells its tradition, for sure. And I'm sure they sell their Catholic values, but then again so does Boston College, Holy Cross, Fairfield University, and literally every other religiously affiliated institution.

Honestly, ND has been so relatively irrelevant on the national stage for so long that I have an increasingly hard time working up much hate for them. U.S. Steel is no fun to root against when they're bankrupt.

And that wasn't entirely the point. It's that we live in a glass house. SU is ALWAYS talking about academics and "student athletes". No one really gives a crap that we've had a revolving door of cretins in the basketball program for 4 decades... because we win. And no one would really care if we were SEC-North if we were going 11-2 in football every year. But when we're not, which is every friggin' season for a decade, people fall back onto the character building nonsense.

So go after ND, I don't really care. It's when people suggest that we're not just as hypothetical I feel compelled to call it out, because we TOTALLY are.

Been a while since I've been on here. Lurk a lot. Going to post about this, but I'm only talking about Seeburg...

I've talked to the players involved, police who questioned everyone -- everyone...

There was no rape. There wasn't even a sexual assault in this case from what I was told from everyone involved. I'm not getting into the details, but more graphic sexual content is seen in PG movies than what transpired between Seeburg and the player. She then freaked out, after asking another player and her friend to leave the room so she could be with said player alone.

Apparently Seeburg had a history of illness. It's a sad, sad story.

There was no cover-up of a rape here. There wasn't even cover-up of a sexual assault. There was a "fondle". That's it.

She then took her own life. This comes from police and testimony of Seeburg. Her father now needs someone to blame, which as a father -- I understand completely.

I hate even talking about it.

I've just talked to enough people to actually find out what happened because if it had, I'd have been done with ND.

As for past cases, I find them disgusting and have read about them. A bit before my time obviously.

returning-to-glory-blue_design.png

I think it's an exaggeration to characterize ND that way (and I'm leaving PSU out of this because it's totally irrelevant to this thread).

ND sells its tradition, for sure. And I'm sure they sell their Catholic values, but then again so does Boston College, Holy Cross, Fairfield University, and literally every other religiously affiliated institution.

Honestly, ND has been so relatively irrelevant on the national stage for so long that I have an increasingly hard time working up much hate for them. U.S. Steel is no fun to root against when they're bankrupt.

And that wasn't entirely the point. It's that we live in a glass house. SU is ALWAYS talking about academics and "student athletes". No one really gives a crap that we've had a revolving door of cretins in the basketball program for 4 decades... because we win. And no one would really care if we were SEC-North if we were going 11-2 in football every year. But when we're not, which is every friggin' season for a decade, people fall back onto the character building nonsense.

So go after ND, I don't really care. It's when people suggest that we're not just as hypothetical I feel compelled to call it out, because we TOTALLY are.

I know what you're saying, and agree with just about everything. I do however take some issue with categorizing SU's players as "cretins...for the last 4 decades." No one wants to tip the scales back to true student athletes more than I. But I still think your statement is a bit inaccurate. For every kid who has come through SU, who is unqualified as a college student, there are an equal number of others who either are capable, or have worked hard to succeed. I won't name names, but "40 years" is a long time, and there have been many, many good student athletes to play basketball for SU over that time period. Aside from that, good post.

I know what you're saying, and agree with just about everything. I do however take some issue with categorizing SU's players as "cretins...for the last 4 decades." No one wants to tip the scales back to true student athletes more than I. But I still think your statement is a bit inaccurate. For every kid who has come through SU, who is unqualified as a college student, there are an equal number of others who either are capable, or have worked hard to succeed. I won't name names, but "40 years" is a long time, and there have been many, many good student athletes to play basketball for SU over that time period. Aside from that, good post.

I'm fine with that, All. Using that word was certainly over-the-top, which is typically my M.O. here!

My point was much less about a kid not being "qualified" to be in college. I honestly don't care about that, schools have been letting in kids who can ball but who otherwise would never set foot on campus for most of the past century. I'm talking about behavior. If a kid is a dummy, academically speaking, but treats people well and can play ball, more power to him. I'm happy to have him represent my alma mater.

But when a kid is hitting girls, doing hard drugs, stealing, getting into violent confrontations, etc. then I'll stand by my characterization. And he could be a 4.0 GPA scholar for all I care, he's still a cretin.

Hope that clarifies things a bit.