OT: NYSPHSAA says NIL coming to High School | Syracusefan.com

OT: NYSPHSAA says NIL coming to High School

JRHEETER

All American
NYSPHSAA announced yesterday that amateur high school students can make a profit from their NIL.

Not sure the full details on it because the one article I found is from pressconnects and is a pay article.

Will be interesting to see how this will effect recruiting, if it will make kids want to go to school more in NYS or not.

The New York State Public High School Athletic Association on Wednesday approved revisions to its amateur rule allowing students to benefit from their name, image and likeness (NIL) under specific conditions.

An athlete still forfeits amateur status in their sport by receiving money, compensation, endorsements or gifts of monetary value in affiliation or connection with activities involving the student’s school team, school, section or NYSPHSAA (excluding college scholarships).

But in accordance with similar rules recently adapted by the NCAA, the NYSPHSAA adapted an amendment specifying that the provision does not restrict the right of any student to participate in a commercial endorsement provided there is no school team, school, section or NYSPHSAA affiliation.

Also, athletes cannot appear in the uniform of the student’s school or utilize the marks, logos, etc. of the school, section, or NYSPHSAA as part of any endorsement.

Seems like this opens up another avenue of weird ways to recruit players. Maybe it is just me but I think kids in HS should be just focusing on having fun playing a sport with their peers. I know this will only apply to like mega high level kids probabaly. But, still... just seems weird.

Will make it easier, especially in the cities to lure top flight kids to their programs.

People already griped about CBA and JD recruiting in football and basketball.

Just another angle.

Edit. If I was a high school coach I'd be using this as much as I could to boost roster size and lure talent to my district.

Will make it easier, especially in the cities to lure top flight kids to their programs.

Just another angle.
I think it would actually be more impactful in a place like Whitesboro, where the team is always good and the community cares. Couple hundred bucks from a diner, etc.

I think it would actually be more impactful in a place like Whitesboro, where the team is always good and the community cares. Couple hundred bucks from a diner, etc.
Good point.

Lots of talent at other districts within five miles of that school, and they sure do care about their programs in whitesboro.

Grab some Utica, NYM, New Hartford kids, maybe even Rome and Notre Dame kids.

I know when there wasn't going to be basketball last year at some schools, kids from as far away as Waterville were looking at possibly playing for Whitesboro since they were having a season.

It's not a far fetch when almost every district out here has kids who are involved in accelerate sports at some time or level. Kids play against other districts kids all the time in the youth levels out here, so they are familiar with each other.

Good point.

Lots of talent at other districts within five miles of that school, and they sure do care about their programs in whitesboro.

Grab some Utica, NYM, New Hartford kids, maybe even Rome and Notre Dame kids.

I know when there wasn't going to be basketball last year at some schools, kids from as far away as Waterville were looking at possibly playing for Whitesboro since they were having a season.

It's not a far fetch when almost every district out here has kids who are involved in accelerate sports at some time or level. Kids play against other districts kids all the time in the youth levels out here, so they are familiar with each other.
Cant wait to see all 3 bars in NYM creating sponsor deals with half the varsity team lol

The next great J-D star will be doing commercials for Mario and Salvo's Pizza.
Jeeze. I coulda made a fortune doing Empire skates and Kiddie city commercials in the 80’s.

Sadly, it doesn’t surprise me. Recruiting issues have always started well before college.

I can totally see boosters now funneling money into bigtime recruits if this goes national. Like Bama can start legally handing out bags now through loop holes. It just is another way to easily drop bags off. The rich will keep getting richer with these rules IMO.

Just another angle.

Edit. If I was a high school coach I'd be using this as much as I could to boost roster size and lure talent to my district.
Would you not feel like a giant loser doing so?

The concept of adults making like 5k for their part time evening job recruiting 14 year olds to come play at their school is beyond weird to me.

*shrug
Not in Tejas ... Paid six figures to pretend coach gym while keeping your players in the weight room and prepping game plans, all while trying to find the next pop Warner hero to recruit to your high school district

After Benson's performance for Auburn last night, Kostas should be hooking him up lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom