OT: Players who changed the game | Syracusefan.com

OT: Players who changed the game

Delmar

2019-20 Iggy Co-Winner Leading Frosh Scorer
This is not a list of who are the best, but who changed the game the most. You will note that many of my choices are from the 1970's and before. All the more impressive to me is what Steph Curry has meant to the modern game.

1.) Wilt Chamberlain (Hello, 3 second zone)
2.) Steph Curry (3 point strategy evolved because of him)
3.) Magic (the first 6' 8" point guard)
4.) Bird (the 3 as a playmaker, and with Magic the revival of the NBA. No one younger than 40 would believe what bad shape the NBA was in prior to Bird and Magic. Maybe Larry O'Brien should be on this list, too.)
5.) George Mikan (the first truly athletic center)
6.) Kareem Abdul Jabbar (They outlawed the dunk when he was at UCLA --this is an edited addition. Thanks to OttointheGrotto for pointing out my oversight.)
7.) Dr. J (created the beautiful game. The ambassador of the dunk)
8.) Dirk (enter the shooting forward, and the European invasion.)
9,) Cousey (Introduced flair to the game)
10.) Chuck Cooper (first African-American to play in the NBA
11.) Red Auerbach (Not a player, but for many reasons he belongs on this list. Not the least of which is that Chuck Cooper was a Celtic. Boston resisted integration more than any other city. The Red Sox were the last team in MLB to have an African American on their roster (Pumpsie Green in the early 60's), Auerbach created a standard of what it took to win a title.)

Last edited:
Shaq - People had to resort to blatantly flopping, plus the “hack a Shaq” strategy down the stretch of games. I don’t think those two things were really part of the game before Shaq.

Chamberlain also changed the rules on free throws. After the change, he was a notoriously poor free throw shooter. Sub 50%. Before Hack a Shaq, there was foul Wilt. But Shaq deserves consideration on this list for the reasons you have set forth. Certainly, he was a transformative player.

Where's Kareem?

They changed the rules for Kareem.

You are absolutely right. My bad. While Kareem was in college they made the dunk illegal. Kareem falls at 6 on my list, and Auerbach is an addendum. Thanks for bringing this up. I've edited my initial list.

Last edited:
Mark Price popularized splitting the defenders on the pick and roll. Guards do this all the time now.

This is not a list of who are the best, but who changed the game the most. You will note that many of my choices are from the 1970's and before. All the more impressive to me is what Steph Curry has meant to the modern game.

4.) Bird (the (the 3 as a playmaker)
6.) Kareem Abdul Jabbar (They outlawed the dunk when he was at UCLA --this is an edited addition. Thanks to OttointheGrotto for pointing out my oversight.)
11.) Red Auerbach (Not a player, but for many reasons he belongs on this list. Not the least of which is that Chuck Cooper was a Celtic. Boston resisted integration more than any other city. The Red Sox were the last team in MLB to have an African American on their roster (Pumpsie Green in the early 60's), Auerbach created a standard of what it took to win a title.)
A. James Harden. The rules have been effectively changed to 4 steps allowed before releasing a shot, not counting the step back. B. Whichever Euro gets credit for the “Euro step”, is Manu to blame?

A. James Harden. The rules have been effectively changed to 4 steps allowed before releasing a shot, not counting the step back. B. Whichever Euro gets credit for the “Euro step”, is Manu to blame?

Dwyane Wade used to make that move a lot too. Not sure who was first and where he got it from.

4.) Bird (the (the 3 as a playmaker)

While Magic brought "Showtime" to the Lakers, Oscar Robertson was doing the oversized PG thing a decade earlier. The Big O is one of the really forgotten legends of the game. Jerry West, too. People forget just how great a player he was.

While Magic brought "Showtime" to the Lakers, Oscar Robertson was doing the oversized PG thing a decade earlier. The Big O is one of the really forgotten legends of the game. Jerry West, too. People forget just how great a player he was.

If you want him on the list, I can't argue with you. He was an automatic triple-double, and didn't know he was doing it at the time. I would put Bill Russell and Michael Jordan in the same category as all-time players, but I don't know how much they changed the game.

If you want him on the list, I can't argue with you. He was an automatic triple-double, and didn't know he was doing it at the time. I would put Bill Russell and Michael Jordan in the same category as all-time players, but I don't know how much they changed the game.
Jordan's change to the game was unfortunate. He inadvertently ushered in the concept of funneling shot attempts through a single player. It was a move away from team basketball/balanced scoring and a focus on having a dominant scorer.

The problem was, with the exception of Kobe, a lot of players that weren't nearly as good as they needed to be for it to work dominated their team's shot attempts in an effort to play like Jordan.

It was an ugly time. Almost nobody could do what Jordan did.

[QUOTIE="Capt. Tuttle, post: 3056613, member: 191"]
I would add:
Pete Maravich
Magic
[/QUOTE]

Magic is on my list. Maravich was such a unique talent that I don't think he changed the game. No one has ever duplicated what he did. Calvin Murphy falls into the same category. What a shame the 3 point line didn't exist while they played.

Jordan's change to the game was unfortunate. He inadvertently ushered in the concept of funneling shot attempts through a single player. It was a move away from team basketball/balanced scoring and a focus on having a dominant scorer.

The problem was, with the exception of Kobe, a lot of players that weren't nearly as good as they needed to be for it to work dominated their team's shot attempts in an effort to play like Jordan.

It was an ugly time. Almost nobody could do what Jordan did.

You mean, you don’t long for the days of teams iso’ing Ricky Davis and JR Rider?

[QUOTIE="Capt. Tuttle, post: 3056613, member: 191"]
I would add:
Pete Maravich
Magic

Magic is on my list. Maravich was such a unique talent that I don't think he changed the game. No one has ever duplicated what he did. Calvin Murphy falls into the same category. What a shame the 3 point line didn't exist while they played.
[/QUOTE]
Missed Magic. Sorry
Pete, IMO, really opened up the game for flair and using non-fundamental passes, etc.

4.) Bird (the 3 as a playmaker, and with Magic the revival of the NBA. No one younger than 40 would believe what bad shape the NBA was in prior to Bird and Magic. Maybe Larry O'Brien should be on this list, too.)
Dirk gets credit specifically for the off balance, wrong foot, fade away 20 footer that other 7 footers now emulate (The Joker, Kristops)

Jerry Lucas preceeded Nowitzski as an outside shooting big man.
Dave DeBuschere was another PF who could shoot.
And they may not have been the first.

George Mikan was also responsible for the implementation of the goaltending rule.

But no one had more impact on the game than Elvir Ovcina.
He invented the role of a stretch 6.

But no one had more impact on the game than Elvir Ovcina.
He invented the role of a stretch 6.
His signature move was the pick and stay...or pick and pop as the kids are calling it these days. Game changer.

Dirk is on the Mt Rushmore of NBA history in terms of impacting the game - the ultimate stretch 4 and the biggest foreign influence of all time. The fact that his retirement tour got overshadowed by Wade's is criminal.

Chamberlain also changed the rules on free throws. After the change, he was a notoriously poor free throw shooter. Sub 50%. Before Hack a Shaq, there was foul Wilt. But Shaq deserves consideration on this list for the reasons you have set forth. Certainly, he was a transformative player.
They did actually make a special free-throw rule for Wilt. He dunked free throws in high schools so the NBA made the rule that the shooter has to remain behind the line.

Some other players that caused rules to be written: School for Champions

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom