Class of 2018 - OT Qadir White (NY) SIGNED NLI to SYRACUSE | Page 26 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2018 OT Qadir White (NY) SIGNED NLI to SYRACUSE

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would be shocked if white makes the two deep next year. Tackle is one of the hardest and most technique driven positions out there. I think he redshirts.
Same with Froumy. Mike Clark and O'Sullivan might be better candidates.

I would be shocked if white makes the two deep next year. Tackle is one of the hardest and most technique driven positions out there. I think he redshirts.

If he's able to do it, I hope it's a result of him being physically ready and not because of a lack of depth or reasonable alternatives. If he's physically capable like an avg redshirt freshman after a year in the program - then that's different than rushing a freshman along.

If he's able to do it, I hope it's a result of him being physically ready and not because of a lack of depth or reasonable alternatives. If he's physically capable like an avg redshirt freshman after a year in the program - then that's different than rushing a freshman along.

Clearly, this is the highest rated OT we've landed in quite some time. Physically, it looks like the size / tools / athleticism are there. Technique wise is what scares me about starting a true frosh who has to play in space out on the edge.

A guy like Sampson will have two advantages. First, he's going to be here for spring practice. Second, I'm not suggesting that playing on the interior line is "easy," but playing inside is different than having to make the right reads to counter pass rushers at tackle.

So I'm tempering my expectations for White next year, but it would certainly make sense for him to step right into that role vacated by McGloster. If he's ready, then I'm all for it.

Last edited:
I expect him to do both next season (i.e. make the two deep and redshirt).

I think people are underestimating the strength, quickness and toughness leap a HS senior needs to make to be ready to play in a P5 conference like the ACC. If White, Sampson and a few other of these guys are better than everyone else early on, they will play. However, as good as these guys project to be, I think they will still redshirt. Pugh was one of the best OL we've ever had in Syracuse and he redshirted his freshman year.

Regardless of all of that, it is SO refreshing that our OL cupboards will be stocked for years to come. We will be absolutely loaded with quality depth and much improved talent.

I think people are underestimating the strength, quickness and toughness leap a HS senior needs to make to be ready to play in a P5 conference like the ACC. If White, Sampson and a few other of these guys are better than everyone else early on, they will play. However, as good as these guys project to be, I think they will still redshirt. Pugh was one of the best OL we've ever had in Syracuse and he redshirted his freshman year.

Regardless of all of that, it is SO refreshing that our OL cupboards will be stocked for years to come. We will be absolutely loaded with quality depth and much improved talent.

I think the OL right now isn't as bad as some people make it out to be. Would help if a couple positions did a few things different to help them out a little.

I think the OL right now isn't as bad as some people make it out to be. Would help if a couple positions did a few things different to help them out a little.

Long term prognosis might be good, but the performance on the field has been intermittently as shaky as some people have pointed out.

Per Rocco's point above, there is nice, young talent in the pipeline and more coming in next year. Babers's three classes have really stocked the cupboard, and set that position up for long terms success. But those players are all young, the oldest of the ones he's brought in are redshirt freshmen that haven't played before. Factor in key injuries, that these guys have only been in a collegiate S&C program for a little over a year, etc. and there is cause to be optimistic about the future direction at this positional unit, but the results aren't where they need to be yet.

The OL is improving, and these Rfrosh are going to be the foundation of what will hopefully be a key team strength moving forward. There has been tangible improvement from game 1, which is good. And as you point out, subpar RB play doesn't help. But to badly paraphase The Wolf, let's not get ahead of ourselves about the OL just yet.

Same with Froumy. Mike Clark and O'Sullivan might be better candidates.

exactly. And Dakota Davis at Guard.

The creme will rise to the top that's for sure. The competition is what we need to push the top guys. everyone will be better for it.

exactly. And Dakota Davis at Guard.

The creme will rise to the top that's for sure. The competition is what we need to push the top guys. everyone will be better for it.

What I find so promising with the OL recruiting is really two fold.

First, the top guys we're recruiting are 4 star recruits who elite level programs were after. That's promising in and of itself and is something we haven't experienced in who knows how long.

Second, when you look at the lesser recruited guys - Patrick Davis, Dakota Davis, Willem Froumy - these guys are exceptional athletes. Recruiting under the radar types on the line will always be a part of the program IMO because of where we are located and what our recruiting base is in this area but I really like the kids that the staff has targeted over the past 2 classes that fit that mold.

Cheezus rice, this Gino Babers has infiltrated the team, just look at the photo!
Hot supper,the school must be in little Italy down there so they changed his name to protect the innocent.

Fence sit Tom?
I really hope we are able to red-shirt him. He isn't in the best of shape right now and playing in NYC, he isn't playing against terrific competition (the skilled players are excellent but most of the linemen are not). Further, I do not believe he is enrolling early.

To me, it is becoming evident Servais is not a center and would do better playing elsewhere. I am thinking he moves to RT when Moo Moo graduates.

Heckel is really struggling at guard and might do better at center. Or maybe Sampson can come in and start right away (this is what I think is going to happen as of today). It looks to me as though he is further along physically, has played against better competition and he has the advantage of enrolling in January and playing spring ball.

So long story short, yes, I think White makes the two deep and no, I don't think he plays next season. A couple injuries and everything changes. Though I would not discount the kid from NH at OT either. He looks very promising to me as well. Very promising.

I really hope we are able to red-shirt him. He isn't in the best of shape right now and playing in NYC, he isn't playing against terrific competition (the skilled players are excellent but most of the linemen are not). Further, I do not believe he is enrolling early.

To me, it is becoming evident Servais is not a center and would do better playing elsewhere. I am thinking he moves to RT when Moo Moo graduates.

Heckel is really struggling at guard and might do better at center. Or maybe Sampson can come in and start right away (this is what I think is going to happen as of today). It looks to me as though he is further along physically, has played against better competition and he has the advantage of enrolling in January and playing spring ball.

So long story short, yes, I think White makes the two deep and no, I don't think he plays next season. A couple injuries and everything changes. Though I would not discount the kid from NH at OT either. He looks very promising to me as well. Very promising.

Part of the OL struggles are due to these kids being forced to play a year too early IMO. I have been a die hard fan for 30 years, and cannot remember a line as young as this one.

I think a lot of these kids have the tools to be effective starters for us, bit there is a big difference between a second year player going up against a fourth or fifth year player.

The good news I am seeming some improvement with the line over the course of this season. Pass protection has gotten much better, the run game looks to be improving, and I am seeing better execution in the screen game.

I agree with everything you wrote about White. He has the physical attributes to be a very good player for us, but he is going to have to change his body over the course of a couple of years to be a meaningful contributor.

Without any public strength #'s posted, I'm guessing Q will need at least a year, to get those where they need to be. Some body reshaping, as well.

Sampson is already working to get his weight where they want it. With his spring enrollment, I think he's the only incoming that has a chance to make the 2 deep.

In 2018, I see Servais going to RT. Adams, Roberts, Conway. Dunno on center.

2019? Oh boy. There is going to be some mad competition. The players, the team, and the fans are all going to benefit. Hoping to be in the top 25 discussion, by then... On offense, it will start with the line.

How cool is it that Babers was hopping on a flight early this morning to come watch YOUR HS game... the morning after his Orange football team knocked off the defending champs in one of the greatest wins in program history??! Surreal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlCuse

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom