OT: RIP Levon | Syracusefan.com

OT: RIP Levon

Another piece of my youth moving on...Levon you'll be missed.

I can't say I know much about the members of The Band as they were a bit before my time, but I have read a whole page dedicated to trying to understand the meaning of the song "The Weight", which I loved(the song and the discussion). RIP Levon

I was lucky enough to catch Levon at the Wanee festival down here in Florida several years ago. He was amazing and his band was incredible as well. He opened with Ophelia and the crowd went wild. Equally amazing was the fact that Levon learned to sing all over again after his bout with throat cancer. I'm sure Levon is jamming with Rick Danko just inside the pearly gates tonight!

Damn you're old. ;)
...more like "Vintage"...that concert in '73 was a good one with The Band, The Grateful Dead and The Allman Brothers...plus 749,999+/- other concert goers.

I can't say I know much about the members of The Band as they were a bit before my time, but I have read a whole page dedicated to trying to understand the meaning of the song "The Weight", which I loved(the song and the discussion). RIP Levon

May the four winds blow you safely home..

...more like "Vintage"...that concert in '73 was a good one with The Band, The Grateful Dead and The Allman Brothers...plus 749,999+/- other concert goers.

Was that the Watkins Glen concert?

was notified two weeks ago that my tickets to see him in Northampton for tomorrow night were canceled. I suspected that it was not good. Saw him in Utica last summer. He couldn't sing, but made up for it by having Donald Fagan and others help him out. He was an American treasure. The best concert I ever saw, The Band, summer 1976, at the Carter-Barron in DC, just before The Last Waltz. A band at the top of its game, electric

I was lucky enough to catch Levon at the Wanee festival down here in Florida several years ago. He was amazing and his band was incredible as well. He opened with Ophelia and the crowd went wild. Equally amazing was the fact that Levon learned to sing all over again after his bout with throat cancer. I'm sure Levon is jamming with Rick Danko just inside the pearly gates tonight!
And it makes no difference where I turn,
I can't seem to get over you, and the flame still burns - RIP Levon and Rick

Best concert I ever saw was The Band at the bleepin' Syracuse War Memorial, probably in 1971. 3 encores, the third of which was a 4 Tops song called "Loving You Has Made My Life Sweeter Than Ever". You can hear Levon's Arkansas voice singing backup:

I am so sorry that Levon's gone, but really thankful that his daughter Amy (who is a member of a great group called 'Ollabelle') made sure that Levon recorded those two great Grammy-winning solo albums following his initial recovery from throat cancer.

The Band got me through my homesickness freshman year, and I've loved them ever since.

RIP, Levon. You done good.

My brother in law has been Levon's graphic artist for the past 8 years. I was fortunate enough to have been able to hang out at Levon's 'barn' down in Woodstock for a few Midnight Rambles. Very cool time. The guy was truly a good one. He'll be missed.

The Last Waltz

Yes it was

I would have loved to have been there. That was historic.

I spent most of the night of that concert in a Syracuse bar asking myself why I wasn't there. I regret missing it.

How was the sound quality at that mass gathering?

One of the greats.
Also a standup guy.
Maybe the only major rock figure actively helping the federal investigation into rock & roll memorabilia fraud.

The Band rocked Watkins Glen...along with the Dead & the Brothers.
Unless you were there I'm not sure you can imagine the enormity of that event.
Far more people than Woodstock.

I was fortunate several times to see Levon with Jimmy Vivino and David Johansen backing the great Hubert Sumlin.

My brother in law has been Levon's graphic artist for the past 8 years. I was fortunate enough to have been able to hang out at Levon's 'barn' down in Woodstock for a few Midnight Rambles. Very cool time. The guy was truly a good one. He'll be missed.

The Last Waltz
Wow. That's awesome.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom