OT: Sat Next to Mike Tirico at dinner tnite | Syracusefan.com

OT: Sat Next to Mike Tirico at dinner tnite

SUOrangeSU

All Conference
Here in Phoenix, sat next to Mike Tirico, Cris Collinsworth and their family tnite (xmas eve) at Steak 44.

I know celebrities usually hate when people bother them at dinner but our backs were next to each other basically and we were leaving and I said go cuse and he turned around and we chatted a bit about the bball program, Jimmy and the University.

He said he thinks one more year for Jim and thinks JW will do a national search

I have no doubt that this 2 year plan is real. BUT I think JW did not expect the brand and fan support to crater like it has. Pragmatically what does giving him 1 more year do to help the program?

Merry Christmas to all.
At this point if we have a winning season I get why Coach won’t retire. It’s way past time for change but if he wants one more year he is going to get it.

The fact we have no HS recruit commits tells me our next season hinges on Judah not being one and done.

Merry Christmas to all.
At this point if we have a winning season I get why Coach won’t retire. It’s way past time for change but if he wants one more year he is going to get it.

The fact we have no HS recruit commits tells me our next season hinges on Judah not being one and done.
Jesse and Joe being gone(I assume?) and no recruits would seem to lead to pounding the portal.

Here in Phoenix, sat next to Mike Tirico, Cris Collinsworth and their family tnite (xmas eve) at Steak 44.

I know celebrities usually hate when people bother them at dinner but our backs were next to each other basically and we were leaving and I said go cuse and he turned around and we chatted a bit about the bball program, Jimmy and the University.

He said he thinks one more year for Jim and thinks JW will do a national search

Tirico is smart.

Merry Christmas to all.

At this point in the history of college BB and our program, it would have to be considered a Tier 1 miracle for Judah to be here next year, right? At least I’m looking at it that way.

Phoenix huh? Who'da thunk Tirico and Collinsworth would slum on up to Oswego County?
I can’t see them getting to Palermo though

A lot of people want nothing to do with Red or GMAC, but I wonder who they realistically think SU can hire from the outside. No big time coach is coming to Syracuse. A search will lead to a mid level coach being hired. I’m not saying hiring from inside is the way to go, but if fans think a coach from a current Big 5 program is coming here, they are sadly mistaken.

A lot of people want nothing to do with Red or GMAC, but I wonder who they realistically think SU can hire from the outside. No big time coach is coming to Syracuse. A search will lead to a mid level coach being hired. I’m not saying hiring from inside is the way to go, but if fans think a coach from a current Big 5 program is coming here, they are sadly mistaken.
GMac and Red have been here and recruiting hasn’t saved us. Mike Hopkins was the best recruiter and it’s no coincidence since Mike Hopkins has left we haven’t had a single first round draft pick in the NBA draft.

Syracuse can hire a good coach it’s a top 10-15 job in the nation. Jim Boeheim not retiring and turning us into a mid-table team is our biggest issue. We have a lot to offer but our coach is in charge of the program and if he isn’t going to go all-in for recruits we aren’t going to compete with the best. Syracuse basketball is like Arsenal soccer. It’s not a top spending club like Man U or Man City but it’s a big 6 club that shouldn’t accept less. Arsenal fans regretted Arsene Wegner retiring but now the team is back competing for championships. It may take a couple of years but we can and should expect more.

If we hire Red Autry or GMac after the last 9 years why should fans feel any better than an outsider who if we hired would atleast likely have some success as a HC which neither of those 2 assistants have. Syracuse basketball needs energy. Jim Boeheim is a legend we need to find the best coach we can hire and that is John Wildhack’s job. If he thinks it’s GMac or Autry then the fanbase will become more apathetic.

Sorry, but I have to laugh. You can almost count on one hand the number of "big time coaches" who have consistently outperformed JAB. Even if you only go back ten years. Yes, you are correct. Tony Bennett is not coming here. Mark Few is not coming here. Jay Wright is not coming here. Bill Self is not coming here. Billy Donovan is not coming here. Sean Miller probably would, but would we want him.

Then you can eliminate guys like Izzo, Brey, Calipari, Huggins, Howland, Pitino, Pearl just because. Matt Painter isn't leaving Purdue.

So that leaves some "smaller" name coaches like Chris Holtmann, Mick Cronin, Brad Underwood, Shaka Smart, Fran McCaffrey, Buzz Williams. All "successful" winning coaches but they've had their share of ups and downs or not consistently great tournament success. All of them are making pretty good money but we could probably get a few of them, but probably not the ones we want (Holtmann, Underwood).

So that narrows our pool to Nate Oats or successful mid-major coaches who might have great conference records but limited tournament experience or hot shot assistant coaches ready for their big break.

Last edited: