OT - Syracuse coming to my rescue | Syracusefan.com

OT - Syracuse coming to my rescue

Lou_C

Scout Team
Thought you guys might enjoy this...one of your town's entities significantly increased my quality of life last weekend.

I am an FSU alum, living in Atlanta, but originally from Buffalo. Atlanta's been very good for me, but I've always missed the food of course. That said, you can do much worse in the south than Atlanta (try Charlotte for instance). There's some places to get some good wings, there's some pizza places that won't make your stomach turn. Not as good as the real thing, but you can get by.

But the one thorn in my side since I left WNY 18 years ago has been...hot dogs. Getting a good, natural casing hot dog down here has been impossible. I can buy Boar's Head natural dog in a supermarket deli...blech. They were disgusting. And like $9/lb. I'd seriously rather buy a Ballpark frank.

If you look hard enough, you can find a couple NYC dogs in some supermarkets, specifically a Nathans natural casing, and a Sabrett's natural casing. I understand some people worship those dogs...but they aren't for me. I really didn't care for the Sabrett's at all, and while the Nathan's was edible, it was only just so. I would have it over an Oscar Meyer, but more often would choose none at all. In some ways it was the most maddening, because it was just good enough to remind you how lacking it was.

So for the last 18 years, once a year when we visit the in-laws back home, I buy some dogs to bring on the plane, and when they're gone, they're gone.

So last weekend, I'm jonesing for some char-grilled dogs, and so I go into the local Publix to get some Nathans. And what do I see? Hofmann's Red Hots...and White Hots!

I had given up hope of ever finding a decent red hot in Atlanta...a white hot? I was ready to do a dance right in the supermarket. When I said my heart soared, that is NOT an exageration.

Now being a Buffalo kid, Sahlen's is my dog. I'll buy a Sahlen's at any opportunity. It is still my favorite. But a Hofmann's hot dog is totally legit. When I read online and see people arguing about Sahlen's vs. Wardynski vs. Hoffmans, it makes me want to break down and cry. It makes me feel like a kid in famine-struck Africa would feel reading about American's arguing Lexus vs. Infiniti.

Yes, I am not kidding when I say my life is significantly better by having access to a legitimate red hot and white hot after all these years. And I have some Syracuse folks to thank for it.

Thought you guys might enjoy this...one of your town's entities significantly increased my quality of life last weekend.

I am an FSU alum, living in Atlanta, but originally from Buffalo. Atlanta's been very good for me, but...

But the one thorn in my side since I left WNY 18 years ago has been...hot dogs...

So last weekend, I'm jonesing for some char-grilled dogs, and so I go into the local Publix to get some Nathans. And what do I see? Hofmann's Red Hots...and White Hots!
White, you said? I'll have to hit Publix on the way home to see if I can find some too.
Thanks for the heads-up.

It makes me feel like a kid in famine-struck Africa would feel reading about American's arguing Lexus vs. Infiniti.

LMAO to this quote in the context of a hot dog post. Well done sir!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1369432987.781562.jpg

Score!
@Publix, Suwanee, GA

It's not Zweigle's, but it'll do. :)

From Hoffman's twitter account:

"We're OFFICIALLY on the shelves in Publix stores in Florida, Georgia, Tennessee, Alabama, and North and South Carolina!
11:13pm - 24 Apr 13"

I am an FSU alum, living in Atlanta, but originally from Buffalo. Atlanta's been very good for me, but I've always missed the food of course. That said, you can do much worse in the south than Atlanta (try Charlotte for instance). There's some places to get some good wings, there's some pizza places that won't make your stomach turn. Not as good as the real thing, but you can get by.

But the one thorn in my side since I left WNY 18 years ago has been...hot dogs. Getting a good, natural casing hot dog down here has been impossible. I can buy Boar's Head natural dog in a supermarket deli...blech. They were disgusting. And like $9/lb. I'd seriously rather buy a Ballpark frank.

If you look hard enough, you can find a couple NYC dogs in some supermarkets, specifically a Nathans natural casing, and a Sabrett's natural casing. I understand some people worship those dogs...but they aren't for me. I really didn't care for the Sabrett's at all, and while the Nathan's was edible, it was only just so. I would have it over an Oscar Meyer, but more often would choose none at all. In some ways it was the most maddening, because it was just good enough to remind you how lacking it was.

So for the last 18 years, once a year when we visit the in-laws back home, I buy some dogs to bring on the plane, and when they're gone, they're gone.

I had given up hope of ever finding a decent red hot in Atlanta...a white hot? I was ready to do a dance right in the supermarket. When I said my heart soared, that is NOT an exageration.

Now being a Buffalo kid, Sahlen's is my dog. I'll buy a Sahlen's at any opportunity. It is still my favorite. But a Hofmann's hot dog is totally legit. When I read online and see people arguing about Sahlen's vs. Wardynski vs. Hoffmans, it makes me want to break down and cry. It makes me feel like a kid in famine-struck Africa would feel reading about American's arguing Lexus vs. Infiniti.

Yes, I am not kidding when I say my life is significantly better by having access to a legitimate red hot and white hot after all these years. And I have some Syracuse folks to thank for it.
Hoffman sells Franks and Coneys, not Red Hots or white hots

Sent from my SCH-I200 using Tapatalk 2

This is why you guys should come to the NC State game this year! We broke the "Coneys at Publix" news in that tailgate thread over a month ago! That's a whole month you could have been enjoying delicious Hofmann's products. I assume you now consider that a month of your life wasted. ;)

You assume correctly.

View attachment 3646

Score!
@Publix, Suwanee, GA

It's not Zweigle's, but it'll do. :)

Ha, you didn't waste any time, huh? You know what I'm talking about. You live right near me, I've probably been to the same Publix.

Glad I could pass on the great news. Feel the same way, it's not Sahlens, but definitely scratches the itch. Zweigles are great too. Last time I was up there, I was actually I actually brought back pounds of Sahlens and Zweigles both.

Then I got home, and my wife pointed out that the expiration date was the very next day. Better damn believe I threw them in the freezer and ate them for a couple months anyway. A rancid red hot is better than the best Oscar Meyer any day.

Are you from Buffalo, or should I assume Rochester? I found a recipe online that makes a great Texas sauce for dogs, but I don't know if that goes beyond Buffalo so don't know if you're into it.

Yes, I am not kidding when I say my life is significantly better by having access to a legitimate red hot and white hot after all these years. And I have some Syracuse folks to thank for it.[/quote]
I will have to make I let my brother in FL know that there is now a good dog in Publix. Growing up Rochester we lived on Zwiegles and started also enjoying Hofmanns not too long ago. I never had a Sahlen's until they took the naming rights to the soccer stadium here in Rochester a couple years ago, of course called Sahlen's Stadium. I think their red hots are "ok" but I think their white hots are great.

Are you from Buffalo, or should I assume Rochester? I found a recipe online that makes a great Texas sauce for dogs, but I don't know if that goes beyond Buffalo so don't know if you're into it.
I grew up in Rochester... though I didn't really get into the white hots until I went to Syracuse and a Rochester chain opened a shop on Marshall Street. It wasn't open long, but I enjoyed my Zweigle's.

I lived in Texas for 8 years... where's the recipe?

I now live in Johns Creek.

All right, you @#$%^&*s. :D Now I'm hungry for Hoffmann's and they are not to be found in Houston (at least in the sticks, where I live).

I really am happy for those of you who can now enjoy them, but I do wish I was enjoying them, too.

My wife brought some home this week from the Publix in Cape Coral. Life is good!

Try living in California and finding Hoffman dogs. You have better chance of selling your scrip and winning an Oscar for it.

I was so happy to see when the Wegman's opening in MA a couple months ago that they had Hoffmann's franks. Missed the snappy grillers so much.

I just checked Hofmann's site. They are in Groesbeck, TX, south of Dallas. It's only 157 miles away. Groesbeck is about 25-30 miles from Waco, home of the Baylor Bears. I may have to attend some Baylor games in the near future. I told my wife, she's already planning a trip.

So happy for you, and eagerly awaiting the day when they make it further west.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Publix price alert!

I was at my closest Publix today and while there decided to see if they too carried Hofmann's products.
Not only were they there, but they're currently on sale. They're listed as "Buy one, get one free".
I know that in some states (e.g. Florida) that that's how it works... here in Georgia it simply means that they're half priced.
I couldn't resist picking up another package of Snappy Grillers. Enjoy!

Publix price alert!

I was at my closest Publix today and while there decided to see if they too carried Hofmann's products.
Not only were they there, but they're currently on sale. They're listed as "Buy one, get one free".
I know that in some states (e.g. Florida) that that's how it works... here in Georgia it simply means that they're half priced.
I couldn't resist picking up another package of Snappy Grillers. Enjoy!

Thanks for the heads up! Nothing in the weekly ad for my local Publix, but that doesn't necessarily mean they're not doing the BOGO. I'll make a run over this weekend in the hopes I'll be able to stock up!

WOO HOO!!! I've still got a bunch in the freezer from my last trip up north, but I'll have to check the publix here in Knoxville for them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom