OT - The Thug Artest only gets a 7 game suspension.. | Syracusefan.com

OT - The Thug Artest only gets a 7 game suspension..

I think 7 is ok, i figured a first round suspension would make sense and this is basically the same. Although it is trickier because it could go into the second round or he could be available for a game 7.

It was an assault that could play out in court. Getting in an elbow shot could have broken someones neck. This is not hockey. I would have given him a one year suspension. Keeping him around is an invitation for disaster. He is a habitual repeat offender. Why not give him a one year suspension?

Sports are not everyday life. Why do people feel the need to say if someone elbowed someone like that on the sidewalk they would get assault charges? If I threw a baseball at someone on the sidewalk I might get assaut charges, if I blindsided someone and speared them into the ground I might get assault charges and if I slide tackled someone on the sidewalk and broke their leg I might get assault charges. You know why people playing sports dont get assault charges? .....because its sports not everyday life.

Some of you people must have cried yourselves to sleep watching the bad boy Pistons and the 90's Knicks.

Sports are not everyday life. Why do people feel the need to say if someone elbowed someone like that on the sidewalk they would get assault charges? If I threw a baseball at someone on the sidewalk I might get assaut charges, if I blindsided someone and speared them into the ground I might get assault charges and if I slide tackled someone on the sidewalk and broke their leg I might get assault charges. You know why people playing sports dont get assault charges? .....because its sports not everyday life.

Some of you people must have cried yourselves to sleep watching the bad boy Pistons and the 90's Knicks.
Silly. Sports is part of real life. If a hitter took a bat and beat another player over the head with it until they were dead, the player would be charged with murder. Extreme, I know. But once you establish that, it's only a matter of degree. 7 games is a joke.

Silly. Sports is part of real life. If a hitter took a bat and beat another player over the head with it until they were dead, the player would be charged with murder. Extreme, I know. But once you establish that, it's only a matter of degree. 7 games is a joke.
Ok yea, thats way extreme. Artest threw an elbow in the heat of the moment. He didnt ram Harden's head into the ground and then grab a chair from the front row and beat him with it while choking him out with the net.

Agreed. I just saw clips of the elbow today. Unbelievable.

Based upon Artest's description, I thought it might be a semi-minor thing, akin to Barkley elbowing that guy after the dunk in the first Dream Team game in 1992. I don't see how anyone can't characterize this as a tremendously malicious act. It really was an act of violence.

The Commissioner had a chance to make a real statement.
And he did all right.
He basically said that NBA players can commit intentional brutal acts and not have to fear severe punishment.

7 games?!??????
Artest should have been suspended for an entire season.
That would have made a point.
But obviously Stern doesn't really care.

The Commissioner had a chnce to make a real statement.
And he did all right.
He basically said that NBA players can commit intentional brutal acts and
not have to fear severe punishment.

7 games?!??????
Artest should have been suspended for an entire season.
That would have made a point.
But obviously Stern doesn't really care.

No, Stern said, in this truncated season, it don't make any $ense to have the Lakers short-handed for too long.

Ok yea, thats way extreme. Artest threw an elbow in the heat of the moment. He didnt ram Harden's head into the ground and then grab a chair from the front row and beat him with it while choking him out with the net.

No, but would you put it past him?

Here's the point, the punishment is supposed to serve two purposes. The first is to adequately punish the person who committed the offense. The second is to deter others from committing the same offense. If you want to argue it served the first purpose, I disagree, but fine. It definitely did not serve the second purpose, to deter others. If the NBA wanted to send a message that this is absolutely unacceptable and will not be tolerated, you suspend him for the rest of this season including the playoffs. That would send a message.

Lookat Goodell in the NFL. He suspended a head coach for an entire year, and a defensive coordinator for at least that amount of time. A lot of people said it was too harsh, but it definitely accomplished the second purpose.

I dunno, I understand that sports aren't necessarily real life; there are things that happen in sports that are acceptable that wouldn't be in real life, but I think this suspension was weak. That elbow wasn't part of play. That was pretty bad.

Edit: On the deterrent part; Artest has already been suspended for like 65 games back in 2005.

Lookat Goodell in the NFL. He suspended a head coach for an entire year, and a defensive coordinator for at least that amount of time. A lot of people said it was too harsh, but it definitely accomplished the second purpose.

Even the notoriously weak Gary Bettman showed more spine than Stern when he suspended Torres from Phoenix 25 games for that dirty check on Hossa. And while that was a dirty hit, at least it was in the context of the game. What Artest did is completely indefensible and brutal to watch. At a minimum the guy should have been suspended for the rest of the season. Even Melo got 15 games for his role in the brawl with the Knicks back in 2006. What a joke.

Goes through the playoffs but think he should have gotten more or even banned for good.

http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/...ce-los-angeles-lakers-suspended-7-games-elbow
When I first saw this on the scroll, I thought it was a typo, like they left the zero off the end. 7 games for a deliberate blow to the head with a fierce elbow after an inadvertent contact play that happens every possession in the NBA? That is screwed up. But then again, these are the same yahoos that in 2007 suspended Stoudamire and Boris Diaw from the Spurs series for placing one foot on the court after Horry body checked Nash into the first row. They have an agenda, and the Lakers being competitive in the playoffs is part of it. Disgraceful. Hockey had it right with the suspension of Torres for 25 games after the hit on Hossa.

I dunno, I understand that sports aren't necessarily real life; there are things that happen in sports that are acceptable that wouldn't be in real life, but I think this suspension was weak. That elbow wasn't part of play. That was pretty bad.

Edit: On the deterrent part; Artest has already been suspended for like 65 games back in 2005.

Yeah. That's the difference. It wasn't that he took a flagrant foul to an extreme. That was a cut and dry elbow to someone's head after a play.

He is 6'7" and 260 pounds. He is a huge person. That elbow could have literally killed someone.

I think you need to weigh the value of a postseason game vs. a regular season game. 7 games in the regular season sounds light, but what he received (up to 6 playoff games) is arguably equal to 15-20 regular season games.

I think you need to weigh the value of a postseason game vs. a regular season game. 7 games in the regular season sounds light, but what he received (up to 6 playoff games) is arguably equal to 15-20 regular season games.
By the same token, the games he will get to play in after the first round are premium games as well. How does he get to play in the most meaningful games of the season for his team after his history and the obvious violent intent of that elbow? I can't believe there is nothing in his reinstatement conditions after the 1 year suspension for going into the stands that would force their hand to do more than this trivial suspension.

Way too weak by Stern. He could have seriously injured Harden with that cheap shot. Plus he's a perennial troublemaker. Should have been 15 games. If he's involved in one more incident then a full season suspension.

He should have been suspended at least 20 games, make a statement.

Let's backtrack here. This is the man who drank at halftime of NBA games. The man who jumped into the stands and started punching fans. The man who has been suspended, what, 14 times? Give me a break.

This wasn't Steve Novak throwing an elbow, it was a man who gave a shout out to his psychiatrist after winning the championship.

Screws loose upstairs.

he was just streatching and accidentally tapped the other player