OT- Univ of South Carolina | Syracusefan.com

OT- Univ of South Carolina

martykobes

Walk On
Just got back from an "unofficial" visit visit to USC, seeing their athletic facilities, Williams -Brice Stadium and the practice fields and weight room, I now see why we just can't compete with and highly rated SEC team. We were treated like kings even though Sam would probably be a preferred walk-on. Couldn't "talk" to any coaches but got a great vibe from it. As long as Syracuse is in upstate NY and not below the Mason-Dixon line we will have a good years but I can see why the best players come south.

Columbia, SC is a complete armpit...just saying :) And, the majority of players the 'Cocks get already hail from the south, largely the Carolinas, GA & FL, so they're not trekking too far south at all...

Columbia, SC is a complete armpit...just saying :) And, the majority of players the 'Cocks get already hail from the south, largely the Carolinas, GA & FL, so they're not trekking too far south at all...
I live in Greenville, SC and that's what everyone not in Columbia calls that place: armpit. It's 10 degrees hotter than anywhere else in the state for no reason. Like they moved part of New Orleans to the middle of SC.

You can say whatever you want but we will never compete against the top of the SEC

I currently have a project in Columbia and spend quite a bit of time there. I completely agree, it is not the most pleasant place to visit.

I don't know how true it is but more than a few people have told me that Columbia is the redheaded stepchild of South Carolina which is ironic considering it is the capital city. Again, more than one person has told me the 'old money' was made in Charleston and the plantations along coast and the summer retreats were around Greenville. Columbia was nothing but a stopping point.

You can say whatever you want but we will never compete against the top of the SEC
Your'e forgetting that there's plenty of good football players out there my friend. they don't all want to play in the south. SU has had tons of succesful NFL playrs over the years. With the right coaching SU will be able to compete with almost anyone. You're dead wrong.

BTW if SU had gotten the BCS bid they would likely have beaten Florida just as Louisville did. We could have done it as recently as last year. Mizzou plyers said that SU was the most physical team they played all year and I think they play in the SEC. Players win games not facilities.

Just got back from an "unofficial" visit visit to USC, seeing their athletic facilities, Williams -Brice Stadium and the practice fields and weight room, I now see why we just can't compete with and highly rated SEC team. We were treated like kings even though Sam would probably be a preferred walk-on. Couldn't "talk" to any coaches but got a great vibe from it. As long as Syracuse is in upstate NY and not below the Mason-Dixon line we will have a good years but I can see why the best players come south.
Thanks for the encouragement. Enjoy your time in the south. We'll be okay.

Thanks for the encouragement. Enjoy your time in the south. We'll be okay.
Exactly.

I love the South but Columbia area is one of my least favorite places. There is something about the topography that keeps it warmer than the rest of the state but, even worse, it's one of the most humid places I've ever visited.

I've been to both USC's William-Brice Stadium and Clemson's Memorial Stadium a.k.a. Death Valley (I've even touched Howard's Rock) and the comparison isn't even close...Death Valley is ten times the venue.

It would be great to have top notch facilities ASAP but I kind of like the fact that our program doesn't deficit spend to get there.

End game SU can offer top notch football, top notch education, and the fact that we won't rip scholies out from underneath kids like a fair amount of SEC schools and some others do. Some kids might prefer that, some will just want shiny things.

It would be great to have top notch facilities ASAP but I kind of like the fact that our program doesn't deficit spend to get there.

End game SU can offer top notch football, top notch education, and the fact that we won't rip scholies out from underneath kids like a fair amount of SEC schools and some others do. Some kids might prefer that, some will just want shiny things.
Absolutely correct on all points. Aklso facilities will improve dramatically with ACC money. SU will be just fine.

I live in Greenville, SC and that's what everyone not in Columbia calls that place: armpit. It's 10 degrees hotter than anywhere else in the state for no reason. Like they moved part of New Orleans to the middle of SC.

I live in Charlotte (18 + years now) and frequent Greenville, SC often. It's a wonderful little city, a pleasant downtown with some nice restaurants, etc. Also, saw one of the best concerts at the BI-LO Center a few years back when Bon-Jovi was on their Have A Nice Day Tour...3rd row, center floor! :)

BTW if SU had gotten the BCS bid they would likely have beaten Florida just as Louisville did. We could have done it as recently as last year. Mizzou plyers said that SU was the most physical team they played all year and I think they play in the SEC. Players win games not facilities.

Absolutely! That, and being hard-nosed! :)

Absolutely correct on all points. Aklso facilities will improve dramatically with ACC money. SU will be just fine.

The nice thing is with said facilities we won't be $100 mil in debt to get there. It makes me cringe to see "schools" so willing to rob from the institution itself to try and keep up with the Jones'. Some high schools do it as well which is even more absurd.

Sad but true.

Herein lies the problem...contrary to all the coach's promises during recruitment, only a very small percentage of these kids (particularly those that are into everything superficial) will make it to the NFL or CFL. How many of them take their studies seriously? What do they fall back on when their college careers are over? It's always bothered me that the SEC treats their players more like commodities rather than student/athletes.

Sad but true.

Herein lies the problem...contrary to all the coach's promises during recruitment, only a very small percentage of these kids (particularly those that are into everything superficial) will make it to the NFL or CFL. How many of them take their studies seriously? What do they fall back on when their college careers are over? It's always bothered me that the SEC treats their players more like commodities rather than student/athletes.

Which can lead back the the arguement of "college football players should get paid!". There may be 5 star players on any team in a given graduating class and maybe 2-3 will have decent NFL careers. Go to school, get a meaningful degree, and get paid off the field if not on it. Anyone else would jump at the chance to live on campus, get a degree, and have a 0 balance after the fact. If a kid repects college as an opportunity to do that they may want to not consider a school that offers 30+ scholies each year because only 85 can stick over a 4 year cycle and the other 35+ will end up paying their way or being forced out if they can't afford it.

Team with huge athletic budgets and shiny things can't afford to keep someone that doesn't reflect positively on their bottom line and if you're not winning big the coach that promised you everything will be gone before you are.

I was stationed in Sumter (about 45 minutes east of Columbia) for the better part of 2 years and it is easily the hottest place I have ever been. Doesn't even compare to the time I spent in Vegas, Phoenix or even Texas during the summer. All those places are hot but doable. The middle of SC combines the heat with the humidity that makes it absolutely unbearable. In August it hurts just to breath outside. I give major props to the people who lived in that area before the invention of central air.

Currently I live about 40 minutes north of Greenville, SC across the NC border. We go down to GreenvilleSpartanburg all the time. Love the city. Such a nicer place than Columbia.

Never? We already have. There was a time in the late 80s when Syracuse was going head up with Auburn, LSU, and Georgia in bowl games, and doing well(2-0-1) And we did just fine against Florida, Tennessee, and Auburn in the 90s and early 00s, competing well in almost all of them and winning some of them.

I'm sure we weren't recruiting more so called 5 stars than them. But if we continue to progress and get our program back to where it needs to be year in and year out, we will be able to compete with most anyone.

Just last year we played a tough schedule featuring some pretty good teams across several different leagues(USC, Northwestern, Louisville, West Virginia, Cincinatti)...and we competed well against everybody. Alabama is the only SEC team that I couldn't see any way we could compete with last year.

Which can lead back the the arguement of "college football players should get paid!".

To me, the best answer is to have an NFL-sponsored AAA-type pro league, where 17-22 year olds who have no real interest in going to school could get paid to play football. That could eliminate the academic exceptions for NCAA football, and, allow those football players who actually want an education to get one.

There may be 5 star players on any team in a given graduating class and maybe 2-3 will have decent NFL careers. Go to school, get a meaningful degree, and get paid off the field if not on it. Anyone else would jump at the chance to live on campus, get a degree, and have a 0 balance after the fact. If a kid respects college as an opportunity to do that they may want to not consider a school that offers 30+ scholies each year because only 85 can stick over a 4 year cycle and the other 35+ will end up paying their way or being forced out if they can't afford it.

Team with huge athletic budgets and shiny things can't afford to keep someone that doesn't reflect positively on their bottom line and if you're not winning big the coach that promised you everything will be gone before you are.

Big money donors also tend to stop giving in the same manner when their school is not winning as much, too.

To me, the best answer is to have an NFL-sponsored AAA-type pro league, where 17-22 year olds who have no real interest in going to school could get paid to play football. That could eliminate the academic exceptions for NCAA football, and, allow those football players who actually want an education to get one.
Big money donors also tend to stop giving in the same manner when their school is not winning as much, too.

I would love US sports to adopt a similar policy to that in sports as it's the same one's European soccer clubs use. Kids can come in before the age of 17 to a youth academy in England. They start for their local clubs and are sold or leave on free transfer when their contract is up. Would love to have relegation in US pro sports as well. Sorry Jacksonville, you don't get the #1 pick in the draft, you actually get to play in a lower league and try and earn your way back next season.

I would love US sports to adopt a similar policy to that in sports as it's the same one's European soccer clubs use. Kids can come in before the age of 17 to a youth academy in England. They start for their local clubs and are sold or leave on free transfer when their contract is up. Would love to have relegation in US pro sports as well. Sorry Jacksonville, you don't get the #1 pick in the draft, you actually get to play in a lower league and try and earn your way back next season.

While the promotion/relegation model would work for pro sports, I don't think there is anyway it'd work for college sports. Much more money and political influence are wielded in support of your local state-funded uniersity than the local pro team. JMHO...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom