OT: VT Sounds like a Mess These Days | Syracusefan.com

OT: VT Sounds like a Mess These Days

Stern

All American
Virginia Tech at last unified after divided 2018 season

Players last year hoping they lost their final game because they didn't want to go to a bowl game. Players telling other players not to catch touchdown passes and to drop them on purpose. Doesn't sound like a program on solid ground. They are saying those issues from last year are behind them...but to me that is being a bit naive!

hard to say. they obviously got rid of a lot of bad actors, if they truly have cleaned house and everyone is on board with Fuente and the team, they could be pretty good. lots of players returning, and their defense was so young last year and it showed. Personally I hope they suck.

Players last year hoping they lost their final game because they didn't want to go to a bowl game. Players telling other players not to catch touchdown passes and to drop them on purpose. Doesn't sound like a program on solid ground. They are saying those issues from last year are behind them...but to me that is being a bit naive!
A lot of those problems can be traced to the head coach. Sounds like he did not do a good job leading this program. Sounds like he has turned into a GRob type coach, coddling the players and staying in favor by being nice to them.

Might explain why their recruiting class for 2020 is an absolute disaster.

I am not really high on the short term prospects for the Hokies. They still have a lot of talent on the roster but that article paints a really ugly picture of where the program is these days.

That's actually a shame. We never play them - once every six years. It'd be good if they were relevant on the national stage. A rising tide lifts all boats. And too many pundits are starting to lump the ACC in with the Pac 12 - sans Clemson. Hurts recruiting. Plus I'm tired of the SEC is king sh@t.

I recollect our program had some similar issues around 1999 or 2000 (Jameel Dumas comes to mind), and again around 2004-05 (Joe Fields recruitment). Not usually easy to fix.

I have always rooted against VT. I have several family members who went there. They all have selective memories when it comes to losing. For example, most of them didn't know (or won't admit) that they played is in 2017. They also think they've dominated us. I love straightening them out.

That's actually a shame. We never play them - once every six years. It'd be good if they were relevant on the national stage. A rising tide lifts all boats. And too many pundits are starting to lump the ACC in with the Pac 12 - sans Clemson. Hurts recruiting. Plus I'm tired of the SEC is king sh@t.
I don't subscribe to the "rising tide" philosophy. If a rising tide lifts all boats, as you say, why hasn't it worked with Clemson's ascent?

I don't subscribe to the "rising tide" philosophy. If a rising tide lifts all boats, as you say, why hasn't it worked with Clemson's ascent?
I think it has on some level. Look at Syracuse, BC, and WF improving in recent years. Those programs all have an UP arrow next to them these days. Playing Clemson each and every year has helped all 3 of those schools compete and recruit better. Those 3 programs were bottom feeders not all that long ago. Is it all because of Clemson, NO. Hiring the right head coach, improving facilities helps, but Clemson being what they are has helped the conference and teams they play each year in their side of the division.

A lot of those problems can be traced to the head coach. Sounds like he did not do a good job leading this program. Sounds like he has turned into a GRob type coach, coddling the players and staying in favor by being nice to them.

Might explain why their recruiting class for 2020 is an absolute disaster.

I am not really high on the short term prospects for the Hokies. They still have a lot of talent on the roster but that article paints a really ugly picture of where the program is these days.

I hope the Hokies "flash" just enough to keep Fuente a few more seasons.

Buzz made them a basketball school.

I think it has on some level. Look at Syracuse, BC, and WF improving in recent years. Those programs all have an UP arrow next to them these days. Playing Clemson each and every year has helped all 3 of those schools compete and recruit better. Those 3 programs were bottom feeders not all that long ago. Is it all because of Clemson, NO. Hiring the right head coach, improving facilities helps, but Clemson being what they are has helped the conference and teams they play each year in their side of the division.
Eh, BC kind of is what it is.

I kind of feel like SU is the only program to make a noteworthy move and that has only been one season so far. BC, NCSU, Pitt, Louisville are all pretty much what they've always been, which is middle of the road - in a range of 5 to 7 wins, +/- 1.

I thought Fuente was a home run hire for VT. Be interesting to see if he can get it turned around. Wouldn't be the first time I've been wrong as the Search button will show you.

100% with you on the hire...I thought it was out of the park

slightly different situation but involves not being thrilled about a bowl game. After the disappointing home loss to the U in 1996 wasn't there a team vote on whether to accept the Liberty Bowl bid? IIRC it wasn't unanimous.

tough to replace a legend.. that's why i'm not looking forward to when JB leaves

that's why i'm not looking forward to when JB leaves
His last home game (hopefully against an”decent” opponent) is the one game where they should move the court to the center of the Dome and set the all-time home game attendance record that will never* be broken.

Because Clemson is ~7% of the conference and FSU fell apart.

Because Clemson is ~7% of the conference and FSU fell apart.
My point is that I believe the individual teams raise the profile of the conference, not the other way around. VT hasn't been relevant to the national picture since probably 2011 and the ACC wasn't really a powerhouse then either. In fact, they were pretty comparable to the Big East at that time.
FSU was still strong when Clemson rose to prominence. Same with Louisville. None of this helped us, BC, Pitt, NCSU...

What will be another wild card on their culture rebuild will be the retirement of Bud Foster at the end of this season. Per the stories posted on our board (i.e. take them with a lot of salt), Bud and Daisy (as we call him) aren't "the best of friends", and that affects their performance. A similarity between UVa's and SU's coaching change situations is that when the new staffs came in, the teams rapidly and pretty universally bought into the new culture they were trying to establish. There were grumblers here and there, sure. But well over 90% of the team like what they saw in the new regimes. The same isn't true about VPI.

What will be another wild card on their culture rebuild will be the retirement of Bud Foster at the end of this season. Per the stories posted on our board (i.e. take them with a lot of salt), Bud and Daisy (as we call him) aren't "the best of friends", and that affects their performance. A similarity between UVa's and SU's coaching change situations is that when the new staffs came in, the teams rapidly and pretty universally bought into the new culture they were trying to establish. There were grumblers here and there, sure. But well over 90% of the team like what they saw in the new regimes. The same isn't true about VPI.
Keeping the DC from a previous staff is a huge gamble.

His last home game (hopefully against an”decent” opponent) is the one game where they should move the court to the center of the Dome and set the all-time home game attendance record that will never* be broken.

Especially now that the scoreboard will be able to be moved!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom