Class of 2021 - OT Wes Hoeh (IL) SIGNED NLI TO SYRACUSE (12/16/20) | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2021 OT Wes Hoeh (IL) SIGNED NLI TO SYRACUSE (12/16/20)

With a year or two of dedication to our strength and conditioning program...

In all seriousness there is a commonality between all of our recruits, committed or otherwise, and that is the play through the whistle mentality.

This young man does not appear to know what a half rep is. He's still planting people 15 yards from the play when many others may have quit because they've "done enough". Kids like this are not exceedingly common but Dino and Co are assembling a team full of them.

I really hope he's good, but he doesn't control who offers him talent wise. If he had Illinois, Northwestern, Minnesota offers and picked us I'd feel alot better. Been following SU football recruiting closely for 30+ years and as much as people want to ignore it, there is significant statistical correlation between college offers and the likelihood of being a solid contributor to a winning program. There just is.
I agree 100% Direct correlation between P5 offers and likelihood of being a solid contributor in the P5. This kid is a really smart great student. A hard worker and all out effort guy. If he is a career backup so be it. He will be a great teammate and practice player ( all out effort) I am hoping we can develop him into a starter from his junior year. Its not like we have a few high end recruits ahead of him so I wouldn't be surprised to see him playing on Saturdays. GOOD GOOD kid. Lets go Orange

Last edited:
I agree 100% Direct correlation between P5 offers and likelihood of being a solid contributor in the P5. This kid is acreally smart great student. A hard worker and all out effort guy. If he is a career backup so be it. He will be a great teammate and practice player ( all out effort) I am hoping we can develop him into a starter from his junior year. Its not like we have a few high end recruits ahead of him so I wouldn't be surprised to see him playing on Saturdays. GOOD GOOD kid. Lets go Orange
Good stuff my man and remember we all want 4 star lineman with 10 P5 offers but this is a common approach to building quality line when you don’t consistently get those type of kids. 3 years from now we will know if it worked or not.

I really hope he's good, but he doesn't control who offers him talent wise. If he had Illinois, Northwestern, Minnesota offers and picked us I'd feel alot better. Been following SU football recruiting closely for 30+ years and as much as people want to ignore it, there is significant statistical correlation between college offers and the likelihood of being a solid contributor to a winning program. There just is.
Kid seems like he will contribute. Nice get,but with his offers if BC signed him this Board would be having a field day.Offers and stars matter, not in every case but more often than not.

I think you guys are missing the value of this recruit. He is going to be a TREMENDOUS help to our APR over the next 4 years
Of course. Coaches get a bonus for meeting academic goals. Must be the reason they want smart kids. :rolleyes:

Kid seems like he will contribute. Nice get,but with his offers if BC signed him this Board would be having a field day.Offers and stars matter, not in every case but more often than not.

I think that's a valid point, but it is also true that kids who are solid prospects get more attention and add offers during their senior years. It's June -- kid just finished his junior year, so who knows whether the Minnesotas, Illinois, etc. would have eventually come sniffing if he hadn't committed [and they still might, for the record]. His offer list today might look totally different in November. Kids who shut down their recruiting by committing early and disengaging from the process don't pick up those offers.

Here's an example. Last year, we got in late right before the December signing period on a Canadian left tackle prospect who we nearly flipped from his commitment to Eastern Michigan. Kid was playing without much fanfare up north, and committed early to EMU to land a scholarship. Our coaches did their homework, thought that he was a starting caliber prospect [a la Bergeron], and pulled out all the stops. The problem is, so did some other schools. Michigan State came calling, and eventually convinced him to sign there.

If we'd flipped him, then there would be a segment on our board complaining that he was a MAC-caliber recruit due to his earlier commitment to Eastern Michigan. But which was it? Was he that, or was he a prospect who had the potential [and indeed later got offers] to some P5 programs? All a matter of perception, depending on how the kid reopened his recruiting process, versus someone like Bergeron who did not and never got subsequent offers that would have boosted his profile.

Personally, I think it is really difficult to judge OL prospects, even for people who are die hard fans and "know" football, but aren't coaches. I have no idea whether Hoeh will pan out or not. But I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss him or judge him solely based upon his offer list in June of his junior year.

I don’t worry about OLineman. Too much history showing that lightly recruited guys are as impactful as heavily recruited guys. Nobody can project an OL success from high junior year to college 4th year junior.

With offensive lines, it's really all about good coaching, and kids who have the skills to match the line coach's system. If you need nimble guys for the concept to work, you can't have big fat guys. If you want to have a power running game, you need a different type of lineman than if you are going to play at tempo and pass a lot. Just as long as we get our act together this year.

Last year was a bloody mess. We should have won 7 or 8 games last year, gone to a bowl game and kept our momentum from the 10 win season going. This year is huge. We need to get to 8 wins. That will help us with recruiting, and will tee up Tommy's senior year to be something special.

Everyone has injuries. That's why you need some depth.

Yeah, cross-training only 7 guys to comprise your line is a terrible idea.
It's the football equivalent of Boeheim not playing literally anyone on his bench, and then 3 guards transfer.

I want to see a legitimate 2 deep where all 10 guys (or at least 8 or 9) could step in and play competently. They ALL need reps to get better.

I hope he turns out to be a great offensive lineman.
I do have concerns that Cav and Lynch are unable to recruit higher rated offensive line prospects. I feel our recruiting defensively has really improved. I’m hoping that will translate offensively. I do really like the rb commit in this class.
The other thing I have concern is the injuries on the oline. It seems that injuries (concussion) (DQ) is disproportionate to any of the other position groups. Not sure the reason.
Let’s hope the two oline commits develop and become eventual starters and we sign a couple more including a true center.

I think that's a valid point, but it is also true that kids who are solid prospects get more attention and add offers during their senior years. It's June -- kid just finished his junior year, so who knows whether the Minnesotas, Illinois, etc. would have eventually come sniffing if he hadn't committed [and they still might, for the record]. His offer list today might look totally different in November. Kids who shut down their recruiting by committing early and disengaging from the process don't pick up those offers.

Here's an example. Last year, we got in late right before the December signing period on a Canadian left tackle prospect who we nearly flipped from his commitment to Eastern Michigan. Kid was playing without much fanfare up north, and committed early to EMU to land a scholarship. Our coaches did their homework, thought that he was a starting caliber prospect [a la Bergeron], and pulled out all the stops. The problem is, so did some other schools. Michigan State came calling, and eventually convinced him to sign there.

If we'd flipped him, then there would be a segment on our board complaining that he was a MAC-caliber recruit due to his earlier commitment to Eastern Michigan. But which was it? Was he that, or was he a prospect who had the potential [and indeed later got offers] to some P5 programs? All a matter of perception, depending on how the kid reopened his recruiting process, versus someone like Bergeron who did not and never got subsequent offers that would have boosted his profile.

Personally, I think it is really difficult to judge OL prospects, even for people who are die hard fans and "know" football, but aren't coaches. I have no idea whether Hoeh will pan out or not. But I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss him or judge him solely based upon his offer list in June of his junior year.
Good post. O lineman are tough. I have no clue how Hoeh will develop. I just wish people would watch their film and come up with their own thoughts about a prospect. All these years on this board following recruits. You would think more people would know exactly what to look for on film. Try comparing it to other players HS films that had good careers at SU. At least do that before they start staring at offer lists.

Good post and on the flip side our highest rated O Line recruit on the current roster can't seem to crack the 2 deep. O line is the epitome of a development position.

Actually I think the one place this board has respect for BC is their O line. If BC signed him, we'd all be suggesting that he must have something and they will develop him into a beast that will help them ground and pound the ball right at us. Maybe it was just a bad choice of opponent, but BC does well with their O line (at least they did, we'll see with the new coach) and there was a time not too long ago that people on this board openly wondered if we could convince the Dazzler to come back to SU and coach the line.

BC has been selling their ability to turn out offensive linemen for thirty years despite countless coaching changes. The image sustains itself. I would love it if SU could establish that image with defensive linemen.

Last edited:
Wes "Tward" Hoeh
07014FE8-B40B-4334-8B4C-AA239B6FFA8A.gif