OT: What are the best public golf courses to play in Syracuse area | Syracusefan.com

OT: What are the best public golf courses to play in Syracuse area

cliftonparksufan

Iggy Award Czar/Co 2020-21 Iggy Award Winner PPG
What are some good courses within a half hour or so from the Syracuse Airport. We'd like to consider Turning Stone but it might be too far to fit into our time restraint.

cliftonparksufan said:
What are some good courses within a half hour or so from the Syracuse Airport. We'd like to consider Turning Stone but it might be too far to fit into our time restraint.
As far as public goes Radisson in baldwinsville. Redid their bunkers last year and it made a huge difference Foxfire in baldwinsville is also a great track Timber banks is a great layout. However i just cant get past how bad they screwed up the greens. Literally not fun to hit shots into or putt. If it were me i would play Radisson.

Turning Stone is not that far away from Syracuse airport. Clean shot down I=90. Under 40 minutes, according to Mapquest. Closer to 30 minutes the way most people drive.

I would also add in Rogues Roost East, Links at Erie Village and Camillus CC. Many great public tracks around the Syracuse area!!!

As far as public goes Radisson in baldwinsville. Redid their bunkers last year and it made a huge difference Foxfire in baldwinsville is also a great track Timber banks is a great layout. However i just cant get past how bad they screwed up the greens. Literally not fun to hit shots into or putt. If it were me i would play Radisson.
It's been 8 or 9 years since I last played radisson and they had let the course go to hell. Which was a shame, because 10 years prior it was a premier local course. I don't get around much since I went private.

Turning Stone is not that far away from Syracuse airport. Clean shot down I=90. Under 40 minutes, according to Mapquest. Closer to 30 minutes the way most people drive.
Right and if they are driving from Albany (assuming that's the Clifton park in name, they'll drive right by it). In order of preference for me. Atunyote, Shenandoah and then finally Kalyut. I know I destroyed the spelling of all three, but you guys get the picture.

My favorites are Green Lakes and Foxfire.
Foxfire will teach you to not spray the ball. That's for sure. If you can score at foxfire, you can play anywhere.

Right and if they are driving from Albany (assuming that's the Clifton park in name, they'll drive right by it). In order of preference for me. Atunyote, Shenandoah and then finally Kalyut. I know I destroyed the spelling of all three, but you guys get the picture.
We are driving past it but we need to pick people up at the Syracuse airport. Still not a problem but then after golf we are going to the Oswego area and have some time constraints. As much as I would like to play Turning Stone, I don't know if it's doable.

Nothing wrong with Radisson but that's where we have played before. I was asking to see if there was anything possibly a step above.

one nice thing about turning stone is that you get a tee time and they are pretty good about making sure you dont lag. the ranger is around keeping it moving along so you have a good idea of when you will get done..

As marsh said, timber banks is great layout but the greens are concrete and hoaky.

I would also add in Rogues Roost East, Links at Erie Village and Camillus CC. Many great public tracks around the Syracuse area!!!
I've heard mixed reviews about Links at Erie Village. Definitely would like to get more thoughts on that.

I've heard mixed reviews about Links at Erie Village. Definitely would like to get more thoughts on that.
A nice public course. Certainly a good possibility. It's not an easy track (in my opinion)

Question from a noob.

I've never played golf before and really want to learn. What's the best way of going about this? Should I just go and play?

I've always enjoyed Erie Village. Reasonably priced and a pretty good layout. Lots of water and it's in a low-lying area, so when it's wet out, it can get pretty muddy there. Same thing with Arrowhead. Green Lakes is probably my favorite public course to play in the area. Gotta like playing on hills though, especially the back 9.

[QUOTey, post: 1376360, member: 727"]Question from a noob.

I've never played golf before and really want to learn. What's the best way of going about this? Should I just go and play?[/QUOTE]
Most courses offer group lessons. Do that first and then possibly individual lessons afterwards. Learn the right way first. It will save you a lifetime of agony.

Erie is mediocre. Too quirky and so many bad holes.

rosconey said:
heck if your at the airport just go down taft to arrowhead- decent play use the extra driving time for dinner

I don't know why but this post reminded me of a restaurant I ate at years and years ago in mattyville? Somewhat near the airport i think. Can't remember the name but I got a plate of French fries like a mile high with cheese and bacon all over it.

Last edited:
CraigForth said:
I don't know why but this post reminded me of a restaurant I ate at years and years ago in mattyville? Somewhat near the airport i think. Can't remember the name but I got a plate of French fries like a mile high with cheese and bacon all over it.

Zebbs probably

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlCuse

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom