OT: Why Are You An Orange Fan? | Syracusefan.com

OT: Why Are You An Orange Fan?

JDubbin

The ONLY Syracuse Sneakers Avatar Guy
In light of GoHamSU 's thread, I thought I would piggyback off it and ask a question I often think when I visit the board. I both grew up in Syracuse and graduated from SU, so I have been, and always will be, Orange for life. For those of you who did not grow up in Syracuse or the surrounding area, and did not attend SU... why are you a fan of Syracuse University sports? What drew you in or piqued your interest? What hooked your fandom? I am very interested to see your response.

In light of GoHamSU 's thread, I thought I would piggyback off it and ask a question I often think when I visit the board. I both grew up in Syracuse and graduated from SU, so I have been, and always will be, Orange for life. For those of you who did not grow up in Syracuse or the surrounding area, and did not attend SU... why are you a fan of Syracuse University sports? What drew you in or piqued your interest? What hooked your fandom? I am very interested to see your response.
Grew up in Queens, but Sherm is my reason. Always rooted for the little guy and it all starts with the General.

id say that question is for me since i did not grow up in syracuse and didnt go there. im from queens, born in '79, and just remember seeing them on tv in the mid 80s. their fast paced style of play and the alley oops and the dome got me hooked. plus them being in new york was probably a big factor. it was probably during the '87 season cuz i vaguely remember being sad when they lost to indiana. 1988 is the first year i can really remember watching games. i distinctly remember watching the michigan game at the dome, the kentucky game with the blue unis, and the loss to rhode island in the tourny.

Grew up in Auburn, NY. Still live there. I've known nothing other than Syracuse since I was a weee one. I am a diehard football fan, season ticket holder and also usually go to 5-6 bball games per year plus any tourney games.

Brought my daughter home donning a Syracuse onesie.

I really found out I was an Orange fan when I fell as a kid and busted my chin open. I never knew blood could be Orange. It was an AHA moment.

Grew up in Syracuse and was basically born into it. My dad had season tickets for most of the 70's and the 80's, my oldest brother as a ball boy for a few years in the mid 80's (insert Fine joke) and liked Syracuse from the get go. Billy Owens was and still is my favorite all time Cuse player. Had season tickets section 313 against the wall for a long time in junior high and high school. First game I went to was at home against G'Town in the 84-85 season. Only thing I recall was getting a foam finger and seeing the wave for the first time in person.

Grew up in Albany area. Older brother went to Lemoyne during Little/Csonka era. Got to see several games in Archbold when visiting him. When it came to apply to colleges, I decided on SU. Have bled orange ever since. Job took me back to Albany area. Have had four season football tickets since dome opened up. I can count the number of home games missed during that time on one hand (ugh those people who decided to get married on a fall football Saturday). Go Orange

1. Grew up in the Albany/Troy NY area and remember going to the Dome on bus trips in the glory days of the big east.
2. Wanted to go to SU while I was in high school but was too lazy to complete the essay so I made my way west to UB. Too big. Eventually made my way back to Troy.
3. Met a girl (now my wife) who helped me get back on track with college. She wanted to go to SU for grad school (Newhouse) and I wanted to go to ESF.
4. Even though we were only there 2 years, the place got under my skin, as well as the squad. Have always loved college hoops, but now I'm nuts for it.

Grew up on Long Island and didn't really ever have a college team I cared about (more a pro sports fan).

Went to college at SUNY Potsdam, met my wife (grew up in Syracuse). Graduated got my MBA at Clarkson while wife finished up college.

She graduated got accepted to Syracuse for her Master's program, moved to Syracuse. Started watching / going to games, got hooked when GMAC went nuts in the BET his final year and it just grew from there.

Subsequently my wife couldn't find any work in Syracuse so we moved to Nashville, TN.

Born in Kenmore NY (Buffalo), moved to Lockport NY in first grade.

I would say Seikaly, Sherman, Coleman... at that time I was 14 and my dad and I and my best friend tried to get to as many home games as we could...been an Orange fan ever since.
For the most part just basketball, never really got into college football. Although this year, living in ACC country, I've followed the Orange.

Grew up in Ithaca, NY. Early on I mostly remember going to football games...my first year going to tons of basketball games was 02-03 which worked out well for really sparking my interest. Alum as well but I can say with 100% certainty that SU would be my favorite sports program regardless of where I graduated from.

Grew up in Binghamton, and played for Cuse Football in the 70's. Love the area and the fans and Josies Italian Rest

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom