OT: Why does the basketball board suck so much? | Syracusefan.com

OT: Why does the basketball board suck so much?

Cuseman78

All Conference
With all of the MCW stuff, its especially brutal right now, but the BB board is almost unreadable at this point. Football board I read every freakin' post. Same can't be said for the bball board anymore.

Mods boycotted cleaning it up to remind us all what Syracuse.com used to be like...

I hate the incessant speculation threads that add zero benefit to discussion. I swear most of them are put there by high school kids.

There's a lot of basketball-only fans who are complete numbskulls.

The program has been too good so you get nonsense discussions. I mean the other day I read someone bitching about MCW's playing time last year. We went THIRTY FOUR AND ONE and were a hellaciously reffed game away from the Final Four.

Numb. Skulls.

That's the problem with popularity, the leeches/bandwagoners. Everyone claims to be long-time fans when we are good and we've been good in basketball for a while so those guys are sticking around making it unbearable for the people that were around through the ups and downs. Which is why the football board is so good, the football team blew for a while and all the BS fans (for the most part) fled while the real ones with some sort of intelligence and perspective remained.

As Scooch said, it's the bball only fans that are the problem. And in my book, it's because they aren't really fans per se, but bandwagoners who are fans because we win... A lot.

I don't even go to the bball board unless I'm really bored and have nothing to do, yet I visit the fball board daily.

The basketball board gets exponentially worse and worse every year.

Terrible.

That's the problem with popularity, the leeches/bandwagoners. Everyone claims to be long-time fans when we are good and we've been good in basketball for a while so those guys are sticking around making it unbearable for the people that were around through the ups and downs. Which is why the football board is so good, the football team blew for a while and all the BS fans (for the most part) fled while the real ones with some sort of intelligence and perspective remained.
Why so upset? They buy tix! That keeps bringing the recruits and our athletic department in the black. We could install an IQ test to complete registration here... Question is, who'd be left. Lol!

1. I don't post a lot there so obvious disadvanatge

2. I don't see as much point in the BBall board. Really what is there to talk about? That might be the reason it isn't as fun. There is less strategy in BBall. We play a Zone that ain't changing. JB has 900 Ws so there isn't much to talk about there. He ain't changing and no one can argue he has been here too long. And this year there isn't even a playing time argument. There isn't a bench guy that is being "Boeheimed". Plus we are Top 5 so there is less to be angry about. All we can really do is pat ourselves on the back or argue about irrelevant things. As a fan it is much more fun, but as a poster on a discussion board, there is a lot less to talk about.

its funny I feel like I'm going to a different planet when I head over there. My knowledge base is mostly football and less so hoops, but the more I read over there the more I realize very few know what the hell they're talking about.

But alas I still check it daily because I like reading about 8ft. tall bald dudes, scary igors and the occassional crazy Tristan sighting to brighten my day.

Why so upset? They buy tix! That keeps bringing the recruits and our athletic department in the black. We could install an IQ test to complete registration here... Question is, who'd be left. Lol!

I never claimed to be upset? A question was asked in why the basketball board is so piss poor and I gave my opinion/answer. Nothing more, nothing less. And I wasn't speaking to general intelligence, just Syracuse athletics. They can buy all the tickets they want, I'd prefer they do so for football also. That doesn't mean that I have to respect or even read their opinions on this forum (which I don't).

I never claimed to be upset? A question was asked in why the basketball board is so piss poor and I gave my opinion/answer. Nothing more, nothing less. And I wasn't speaking to general intelligence, just Syracuse athletics. They can buy all the tickets they want, I'd prefer they do so for football also. That doesn't mean that I have to respect or even read their opinions on this forum (which I don't).
I avoid them like you.. Wish they attended football games too, but the program isn't there again yet.

I don't see as much point in the BBall board. Really what is there to talk about?

Remember all the "Why is Nassib starting when there just has to be a better QB on the bench" arguments?

All the "Why is Broyld on the bench when he's clearly the best recruit who ever played at SU" arguments?

Multiply that by 5. That's the Basketball Board.

I said bye bye to that board a long time ago. Like ot said, in a moment of boredom I'll pop over there, but it's rare.

Remember that one time on the football board where every other post was about how FSU/Clemson/Virginia Tech/UNC was leaving the ACC, and how DOOOOOOOMED Syracuse was? Or that one time when someone posted AGAIN about how much they hate/loathe Rutgers?

Ya'll better be careful getting off your high horses, might fall on your way down.

I think it's partly because the thing all diehard fans dream of - SU winning a national title in football - is more fun to contemplate than another basketball title. We can visualize SU winning another hoops title because it happened recently and the hoops team passes the credibility test day to day.

SU football is a more interesting project. The easy way to be successful in college football is to use public funds to buy success, but that avenue is closed to a private school. SU has to be clever. Make a coaching mistake in our program and it sets back the whole project five years. Do it in the SEC and you just get a rich booster to pony up the buy-out, find a big name replacement and 80k fans will show up again.

Analyzing our degree of difficulty amd discussing things other big-name teams take foregranted is more fun. I respect the SEC schools but my memory can't recall the difference between one SEC championship team from another year to year. It's all basically the same whereas there is something more satisfying, imaginative and fun in seeing an SU in the Fiesta Bowl or a Northwestern in the Rose Bowl.

That, and football is just a better sport. :)

I don't even look at that board more than a few times a year and post maybe once or twice a year, if that.

This has been talked to death but the chat room was so much fun years ago. Last year, you just couldn't go there. Everything was how we sucked.

The basketball chat room was unbearable last year. It gets pretty bad here, but that's somewhat justifiable when you consider the number of games we shoot ourselves in the foot. But dear lord, the number of " you triche" and "you're useless" comments for basketball on about a team that had 1 regular season loss was unbearable.

And then the people who try to be a voice of reason are called out for it.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

Remember that one time on the football board where every other post was about how FSU/Clemson/Virginia Tech/UNC was leaving the ACC, and how DOOOOOOOMED Syracuse was? Or that one time when someone posted AGAIN about how much they hate/loathe Rutgers?

Ya'll better be careful getting off your high horses, might fall on your way down.

No one will argue that there aren't bad threads here (hi, kcsu!). But the signal-to-noise ratio on the hoops board is absurd. There are days when there isn't a worthwhile thread on the entire first page. That doesn't happen here.

By the way, this is not directed at our mods, they do an amazing job.

while I agree the bball board has its moronic threads, i want to remind people of the "fire marrone and hackett!!" threads.. followed up by "where is their extensions?!!?" .as well as the recent thread asking if we have talked about whos going to be qb next year, when that has came up 1, 2 or 25 times. im just saying its a "pot meet kettle" type of comparision

I have it from a reliable source that there is one thing that is universal across both the basketball and football boards...