OT: why Foodlion will eventually conquer Wegmans | Syracusefan.com

OT: why Foodlion will eventually conquer Wegmans

source.gif

Forget about Wegmans. Brick and mortar retail is well on it's way to being obsolete. My grandkids won't understand the concept of a store that we got in our cars to drive to.

Forget about Wegmans. Brick and mortar retail is well on it's way to being obsolete. My grandkids won't understand the concept of a store that we got in our cars to drive to.

This is like saying soccer will over take football in ten years, five years ago. It ain't happening.

This is like saying soccer will over take football in ten years, five years ago. It ain't happening.

Think your 100% spot on. The market will keep moving more online before people get fed up and start demanding brick and mortar locations again, Americans will always want some physical locations its why Best Buy is thriving.

I'm not sure I understand the analogy between internet/brick-mortar consumerism vs. American preference in sports.

The market will keep moving more online before people get fed up and start demanding brick and mortar locations again

But why would people suddenly get fed up with the incredible convenience of online shopping?

Capture.JPG

But why would people suddenly get fed up with the incredible convenience of online shopping?

View attachment 150322

People are going to still want stores to be able to touch, compare and examine products. Not for everything, but that will persist for a good amount of time, I would wager.

View attachment 150322

Because online shopping as good as it is can never match the availability of a store a mile down the road. As good as Amazon is its not going to do you much good at 8pm when your snowblower craps the bed in a snow storm and Home Depot is 2 miles down the road.

Foodlions closed in our area
Our Giant sucks
Wish we had the population for a Wegmans
Last time we where in Syracuse we spent waaaay to long in Wegmans lol

Because online shopping as good as it is can never match the availability of a store a mile down the road. As good as Amazon is its not going to do you much good at 8pm when your snowblower craps the bed in a snow storm and Home Depot is 2 miles down the road.

But how are getting out of the driveway to drive to Home Depot if your driveway is full of snow? ;)

Amazon Prime has 1-day shipping, and sometimes same-day shipping depending on when you order.

I'm not sure I understand the analogy between internet/brick-mortar consumerism vs. American preference in sports.

The main comparison is the both outlandish claims have been made on this board. The other is that both are largely ingrained in our society. Yes, there are upstarts (online shopping and soccer), but neither will be overtaking the more popular alternative (B&M and football) any time soon.

But how are getting out of the driveway to drive to Home Depot if your driveway is full of snow? ;)

Amazon Prime has 1-day shipping, and sometimes same-day shipping depending on when you order.
i'm just going to keep running to grocery store. if you want to plan out your entire life ahead of time, great, i'll get around the store faster.

I’ll order non perishables online. I sure as hell am not ordering groceries to be delivered to me. Also the big allure of Wegmans is their prepared foods. Try going there at 5:30 during the week. It’s packed. We’re not talking about Macy’s here.

But how are getting out of the driveway to drive to Home Depot if your driveway is full of snow?

I remember in 1993 when Syracuse got 43 inches of snow. I dug out and needed milk. I called Wegmans
to see if they were open. A kid answers and I ask "When are you closing?" and he replies "Christmas".

Enough said.

For someone like me, a place like Wegmans would be heaven sent in the south. They kill it with prepared foods and as a single dude in my 30’s who’s always on the go, I’m not sure how Amazon Prime replicates me going to a grocery store to grab a dinner to throw in the oven/microwave.

I’m also a spur of the moment shopper. I don’t keep lists and run inventory of what I need. If I run out of something, I go out and get more.

Amazon Prime for groceries/food etc just doesn’t work for me. ...ya know, lazy folks that refuse to plan ahead.