Other Syracuse U. Sports | Syracusefan.com

Other Syracuse U. Sports

NC'cusefan

Scout Team
I just noticed Syracuse has started softball. When I went to the Syraucse athletic site I looked at all the sports and noticed the large discrepancy between women's athletics and men's . Now I know title IX was suppose to level the field but has Syracuse gone too far the other way? I'd love for Syracuse to add an Ice Hockey team and bring back Wrestling. Maybe even baseball. Thoughts?

Information on why there are so few men sports?

I just noticed Syracuse has started softball. When I went to the Syraucse athletic site I looked at all the sports and noticed the large discrepancy between women's athletics and men's . Now I know title IX was suppose to level the field but has Syracuse gone too far the other way? I'd love for Syracuse to add an Ice Hockey team and bring back Wrestling. Maybe even baseball. Thoughts?

Information on why there are so few men sports?
A FB school starts 85 women's scholarships behind. Since most non FB BB teams are not fully funded by rule, (ex. Lax has 13 scholarships, soccer 10, etc.) it takes a lot of women's teams to get even at 85.

Sent from my SCH-I200 using Tapatalk 2

A FB school starts 85 women's scholarships behind. Since most non FB BB teams are not fully funded by rule, (ex. Lax has 13 scholarships, soccer 10, etc.) it takes a lot of women's teams to get even at 85.

Sent from my SCH-I200 using Tapatalk 2

Yeah I started to think about scholarships after I posted it... I have 3 wonderful daughters and want as many athletic opportunities for them as possible but because one sport requires more players doesn't to me sound fair.

Yeah I started to think about scholarships after I posted it... I have 3 wonderful daughters and want as many athletic opportunities for them as possible but because one sport requires more players doesn't to me sound fair.
Title IX wasn't originally written to be adopted to athletics. It was supposed to be used to balance out the discrepancy in terms of academics and was then forced on athletics as well. As Capt. Tuttle said, the scholarship burden that football takes up hurts other men's sports that have ultimately been cut from the school.

Particularly when in many cases that one sport's revenue funds the entire athletic department. Fact of the matter is that many minor sports add virtually nothing to the college experience and it's tough to logically justify the scholarship funding they receive. I have a friend whose daughter attends a major Midwestern state university on a full ride BOWLING scholarship.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom