Other than HBO ... | Syracusefan.com

Other than HBO ...

temery

What?
I love HBO, but am up to date with the series' I like.

What other pay channel is worth the money? I am mostly looking for new series' to watch, more than the movies each has to offer.

Showtime is probably second best. Homeland was brilliant for about 1.5 seasons, kind of off the rails after that. Masters of Sex debuted last year and is one of the better shows on TV right away.

The only other option, other than Showtime, would probably be Cinemax. I've never seen it but I've heard really good things about the show Strike Back, and even though I've never seen it I have to recommend the show Banshee because it's written by a former English teacher of mine back in high school.

Starz had a cool pirate series called Black Sails that aired a few months ago.

The only other option, other than Showtime, would probably be Cinemax. I've never seen it but I've heard really good things about the show Strike Back, and even though I've never seen it I have to recommend the show Banshee because it's written by a former English teacher of mine back in high school.

Both are great shows (not the most intellectual, but damn good fun) and I highly recommend them as well.

Edit - and I'm pretty disappointed Strike Back got moved back to a later date due the injury of one of the stars.

I'm a big fan of the BBC America stuff, Orphan Black in particular. Season two just wrapped up.

Watching the Leftovers and not sure I actually like it. Starting to get bored already, just 2 episodes in, and thinking I may bail on it. Has anyone read the book and thinks the series might be worth spending time on? Just could care less about the characters so far.

Watching the Leftovers and not sure I actually like it. Starting to get bored already, just 2 episodes in, and thinking I may bail on it. Has anyone read the book and thinks the series might be worth spending time on? Just could care less about the characters so far.

I am absolutely loving The Leftovers, my favorite new show in a long time. The third episode is what really sold me on it. I wasn't entirely sure it could do a focus episode on a fringe character that well and, boy, did it.

I am absolutely loving The Leftovers, my favorite new show in a long time. The third episode is what really sold me on it. I wasn't entirely sure it could do a focus episode on a fringe character that well and, boy, did it.

Agreed. We watched the 3rd episode last night and it was much, much better.

I enjoyed the Pilot and Ep2, but this week's was really good television.

I enjoyed the Pilot and Ep2, but this week's was really good television.

It's interesting to me because I literally have no idea what's going on. No clue what any of it means or where we are going. The downside of that is the constant questions my wife peppers me with during the show with the ensuing "I have no idea" response from me.

It's interesting that Lindelof chose something like this for his next project given the backlash from LOST's finale. I hope he sticks to his guns and the show doesn't really get into the business of giving answers because answers usually suck. Midichlorians anyone?

I can't wait for episode 4 of The Leftovers. The daughter's friend must be getting naked soon. The actress looks well over 18 so I don't feel too creepy saying that.

HBO is absolutely crushing it these days. 3 of my 4 favorite shows are on HBO: GoT, The Leftovers and Silicon Valley.

cusefan88 said:
Love Shameless. Hilarious, disgusting, and thought-provoking at the same time.

The last season of Shameless was incredible. It's rare that a show improves that much in its 4th season.

Mickey, Deb and Lip are three of my favorite characters on tv.

Ray Donavan just started Season 2 on Showtime. Great show
Considering Jon Voiht's character and that no one likes this creep I can only hope that there is a Game of Thrones solution to that up coming soon. I presume this doesn't require explanation about the point here.

I too was finding it tedious and boring until the 3rd episode. That episode was freakin amazing. That being said, this 4th episode has me wondering if I actually like it or think its a bunch of pretentious nonsense.

I would say Showtime is second to HBO solely due to Penny Dreadful. Absolutely incredible show. Ill have to check out Shameless, everyone I know who watches it tells me I would love it. I've heard great things about Ray Donovan as well.

HBO
Showtime
FX

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlCuse

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors