Our Freshmen vs Starling | Syracusefan.com

Our Freshmen vs Starling

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cusefan0307

Red recruits the ACC!
I know everyone panicked when JJ picked Notre Dame over Syracuse, but I don’t think JJ would have been as good as Mintz for us.

Also Taylor, Bell, and Brown were all better than him yesterday and really have a chance to outplay their ranking.

As someone who’s followed JJ living in Baldwinsville it appears his shot mechanics have broken down for whatever reason. Maybe it’s a shoulder injury?

I don’t think JJ is better than any of our freshmen.

I know everyone panicked when JJ picked Notre Dame over Syracuse, but I don’t think JJ would have been as good as Mintz for us.

Also Taylor, Bell, and Brown were all better than him yesterday and really have a chance to outplay their ranking.

As someone who’s followed JJ living in Baldwinsville it appears his shot mechanics have broken down for whatever reason. Maybe it’s a shoulder injury?

JJs a special player and it would be nice if he was here. A Judah and JJ backcourt ….mmmm

I think injury is certainly a factor but to me it's that he is too much of a north south player while also lacking that pull up or step back game like Battle had. Not to mention he isn't 6-6 either.

Battle to me is a close comparison but JJ is still a couple steps behind him. Without that ability to change direction quickly enough when sizing his defender up, he can be neutralized too easily. Pair that with an outside shot that is very so so...

JJ will be very good by I expect his third year. Will be worth watching what happens with Brey and whether we would be making a call if he should transfer out when Brey is handed his papers to drive off in the Vette.

He was pressing I think...or hope. Shot selection was not great. That said playing at ND must be fun. Throw up bombs and don't sweat guarding anyone.

He was pressing I think...or hope. Shot selection was not great. That said playing at ND must be fun. Throw up bombs and don't sweat guarding anyone.
I’ve seen him play a bunch. His shot looked better as a HS sophomore. Based on the taping he had I can only assume he has some type of shoulder issue.

I’ve seen him play a bunch. His shot looked better as a HS sophomore. Based on the taping he had I can only assume he has some type of shoulder issue.
Don’t know the extent of it but in the first game against us he hurt his shoulder. He played through it but was forced to sit for an extended period.

He would shoot better had he worked with "The Shot Dr., Jerry Mac!

To me they are two different players. I haven't watched much of JJ outside of the two Cuse games but it appears that he is more of a combo 2, where Judah plays more if a scoring PG.

For this year's team, Judah is clearly the better fit.

Maybe it's just me, but Starling seemed to be playing like Syracuse never offered him or something. He could've committed to play for his hometown team at any time, right? Was glad to see him and his crew leave with another L.

We are better off with Judah than JJ, Kamari Lands and of course Dior Johnson.

Taking it one step further when you look at a lot of the other guys we have played this year who we’ve offered like Huntley-Hatfield, Wahab and Akok, none of those guys have really been particularly impressive against us.

Well, you have JB vs Brey as an X factor. For all of JB’s faults, he does a great job putting people in positions to succeed.

Well, you have JB vs Brey as an X factor. For all of JB’s faults, he does a great job putting people in positions to succeed.
Part of coaches genius is his experience. He has seen it all. Speeding up the Irish via the press led to quicker shots, more misses and an SU victory. He is stubborn, thank God for it, because he knows over 50 minutes it usually works. Love the way the Freshmen are getting better. I hope Copeland joins the party.

I think injury is certainly a factor but to me it's that he is too much of a north south player while also lacking that pull up or step back game like Battle had. Not to mention he isn't 6-6 either.

Battle to me is a close comparison but JJ is still a couple steps behind him. Without that ability to change direction quickly enough when sizing his defender up, he can be neutralized too easily. Pair that with an outside shot that is very so so...

JJ will be very good by I expect his third year. Will be worth watching what happens with Brey and whether we would be making a call if he should transfer out when Brey is handed his papers to drive off in the Vette.
Papers? Vette?

But let’s not get carried away over JJ. His dunk was spectacular as well as that no look dish. He is a terrific prospect. I would pick him up from the portal in a heartbeat.
Right. Starling and Mintz would be a terrifying backcourt. He'd be a nice complementary piece to Judah.

But let’s not get carried away over JJ. His dunk was spectacular as well as that no look dish. He is a terrific prospect. I would pick him up from the portal in a heartbeat.
He did not play well at all yesterday and his advanced metrics are worse than Chris Bell.

Starling is clearly a talent and will be a big time player for sure. More physically developed than Judah. Mintz is already good he just needs some time. I expect a big leap as a sophomore.

Our freshmen are good but they aren’t guys you can lean on every night and they don’t have a ton of help. It’s not like we are a Final Four team next year just because they don’t transfer or leave.

Part of coaches genius is his experience. He has seen it all. Speeding up the Irish via the press led to quicker shots, more misses and an SU victory. He is stubborn, thank God for it, because he knows over 50 minutes it usually works. Love the way the Freshmen are getting better. I hope Copeland joins the party.

I guess that’s fine for 2OT games.

Otherwise:

confused paul rudd GIF

Our freshmen are good but they aren’t guys you can lean on every night and they don’t have a ton of help. It’s not like we are a Final Four team next year just because they don’t transfer or leave.
What? No clue what you’re trying to say.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom