Our Friday game will be at Hinkle Field House ... | Syracusefan.com

Our Friday game will be at Hinkle Field House ...

... Will Buddy Boeheim be Jimmy Chitwood? (Or doesn't anyone else remember "Hoosiers" which was filmed there?)
1398184129000-old-butler.jpg

1398183926000-hinkle-overall.jpg
When it was built in 1928, it was the largest college arena in the US. It remained the largest for 20 years.

1398184129000-old-butler.jpg

1398183926000-hinkle-overall.jpg
When it was built in 1928, it was the largest college arena in the US. It remained the largest for 20 years.
Was it really built as an arena only? Cornells Barton hall was bigger and built earlier but maybe not considered an arena?

Was it really built as an arena only? Cornells Barton hall was bigger and built earlier but maybe not considered an arena?
When they say biggest, I think they mean in terms of seating capacity.

When first built, it held 15K. Never been to Barton. Isn't the seating capacity less than 5000?

... Will Buddy Boeheim be Jimmy Chitwood? (Or doesn't anyone else remember "Hoosiers" which was filmed there?)

Are we Milan or South Bend, though?

I know the average sports fan needs luxury with craft beer selections and artisanal food and limitless comfort but I LOVE old rickety historic stadiums like this.

i love craft beer, but i bought a bunch of mgd and miller high life’s for this weekend. im going old school.

When they say biggest, I think they mean in terms of seating capacity.

When first built, it held 15K. Never been to Barton. Isn't the seating capacity less than 5000?
that would make more sense.. i know that had some crowds bigger than that but 5000 was about all the normal seating they had. I was there several times to packed crowds but it was always an odd shaped layout

According to Wikipedia, Barton Hall's seating capacity is only 4,800. However, "For a long time, Barton Hall was the largest unpillared room in existence. The interior of the building covers almost 2 acres (8,100 m2), and includes a 1/8 mile (200m) indoor track."

Barton_Renovations.jpg

Looks like Romney Field House from the outside, for you old school Oswego State Great Lakers.

I can only assume it's warmer on the inside.
Romney was a pit but a nice home advantage. Hockey was the only sport that drew fans when I was there. I played soccer there, We had loyal fan.

Romney was a pit but a nice home advantage. Hockey was the only sport that drew fans when I was there. I played soccer there, We had loyal fan.
Not sure what years you were there but did the hockey rink still have chain link fencing instead of plexiglass. It was real old school. We never missed a game.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom