our good friend fishy says that Syracuse adds | Syracusefan.com

our good friend fishy says that Syracuse adds

D

dash-30-dash

nothing of value to the ACC. He also said Pitt doesn't either. Must be that UConn adds a lot but those dumb league commish's don't know what Fishy does about sports marketing. Lucky MAC will get all that value.

nothing of value to the ACC. He also said Pitt doesn't either. Must be that UConn adds a lot but those dumb league commish's don't know what Fishy does about sports marketing. Lucky MAC will get all that value.

There's a lot of bizarre stuff being posted by the fans of the "left-outs".

John Swofford must think SU and Pitt add value. And it's his opinion that counts.

Beliefs die hard. Some Rutgers people are just starting to suspect that they may have been over stating the value of what RU brings to any conference.

The prospect that both of these schools are in "The New C-USA" is a distinct possibility. To have any conference at all, they are going to have to jack exit fees way up.

Fishy should be the next BE commissioner. That'll fix everything. :)

Hey, I don't blame fans from these schools for being frustrated. UConn shoud have a place. While they don't know their place in football, they have the audacity to mock us, yeah we've been down but we have won an nc and had two undefeated seasons in my lifetime, they have a great basketball program and that should mean something. But to say we have no value?? As other insiders know, the ACC was worried about the Big 10 coming after us. These conferences weren't interested in us because we don't offer value. I have even seen UConn fans claim that maybe they aren't in because they would have refused out of loyalty to the Big East. Let me know when you stop laughing at that one.

Uconn fans (like Rutgers fans) are CFB newbies. Excuse them all if they don't fully understand the brand name that comes along with a Pitt or Syracuse. It's all sour grapes anyhow. We were chosen (and obviously rightfully so) and they were not.

Hey, I don't blame fans from these schools for being frustrated. UConn shoud have a place. While they don't know there place in football, they have the audacity to mock us, yeah we've been down but we have won an nc and had two undefeated seasons in my lifetime, they have a great basketball program and that should mean something. But to say we have no value?? As other insiders know, the ACC was worried about the Big 10 coming after us. These conferences weren't interested in us because we don't offer value. I have even seen UConn fans claim that maybe they aren't in because they would have refused out of loyalty to the Big East. Let me know when you stop laughing at that one.

Has that been claimed since it was made public that UConn was whoring themselves to the ACC?

I guess we will find out if SU and Pitt bring value to the ACC after the contract negotiation is completed. If each school makes at least 1 cent more than they did prior to our moving, then case closed - he is wrong. If ESPN thinks we bring value, then we bring value. End of discussion. I can understand the bitterness, though. We went through it in 2003.

Perhaps if Uconn had decided to play D1 football a decade or so earlier they might not be in this position right now.

My take: UConn. and Rutgers. They can cry all they want, we got our seat on the bus. If they don't get one, too bad. I. Don't. Care.

No need to take joy in their destruction. I don't despise UConn I don't like them, but they have actually helped the Big East conference, and atleast try to play people and help the Big East image. Rutgers is the school I will take pleasure in them being flushed down the toilet they act like their are the flagship program of the Big East and are holding the BCS bid for the conference in place when they play nobody and beat nobody. Fishy is upset his school is being left out in the cold I mean his petty shots at SU are funny and just show how jealous they are that the ACC wanted Syracuse and has rejected UConn's overtures. I hope both UConn and Rutgers remain out of the ACC and B1G, and enjoy dealing with the Providence Mafia, but I don't get upset at him or NelsonMuntz they are just loyal fans who see the writing on the wall and are lashing out at us when they would have done the same thing.

there is a few things at play possibly.
1. adding teams increases volume so you will get paid a little for that.
2. In a previous interview with JS it was brought up that they are gonna try to negotiate for there tier 3 rights back from espn so they can open there network. Thats a good chunk of money right there.
3. Brought up was what would happen if there was very little increase, JS had a tongue in cheek comment about getting there lawyers and voiding the contract all together.

3 is unlikely but remember after the PAC deal the ACC had lawyers all over that contract trying to figure out how they could get out of it, maybe they found something if ESPN slips up with this new one

with 2, isnt that what the SEC is trying to do also get there tier 3 back also?

I would agree at this time our football value on field isnt great, but if all the teams get a little raise and tehre tier 3 rights back they are totally worth it. At the launch of an ACC network SU/PITT would have paid for themselves right there.

I'd still like UConn to join us at some point- it just makes too much sense. Say what you want about them, but at least they've kept up their end of the bargain competitively over the years, whereas Rutgers is/was/& always will be a fugazy program.
UConn/SU rivalry is something that can grow much bigger in the ACC, & would be a great NE counterpart to UNC/Duke for the conference.
Every program needs a good rival, & for my money, UConn would fit the bill.

By my calculations the current ESPN deal makes ACC teams nearly 13 mil a year. It'll sure be interesting to see what the new deal brings in.

any guesses?

Hey, I don't blame fans from these schools for being frustrated. UConn shoud have a place. While they don't know their place in football, they have the audacity to mock us, yeah we've been down but we have won an nc and had two undefeated seasons in my lifetime, they have a great basketball program and that should mean something. But to say we have no value?? As other insiders know, the ACC was worried about the Big 10 coming after us. These conferences weren't interested in us because we don't offer value. I have even seen UConn fans claim that maybe they aren't in because they would have refused out of loyalty to the Big East. Let me know when you stop laughing at that one.

I agree, Dash. Although I know people like Fishy must be frustrated, to say that SU adds no value to the ACC is simply foolish logic. Something drew ACC and B1G officials to SU, and not UConn, starting back in 2003-04. Call it tradition, call it value, call it whatever you want. The member institutions obviously think SU brings something positive to the table. Fans like Fishy don't have to like it, but they need to accept it. SU has a home. They don't.

To be honest, if the roles were reversed, I would be wondering what the hell UConn offered the ACC that SU didn't.

IMHO, I see UConn's arrogance as their biggest hurdle to ACC membership. Their two most successful coaches are considered s by most college sports fans, and their football fans acts like a bunch of spoiled brats. Their NE arrogance does not mix well with the "southern pride" of the ACC. Syracuse and Pitt are not viewed as arrogant schools. They just aren't.

Syracuse adds the fact that the bigeast is no longer relevent.

the BCS now has the northeast locked down, and doesnt need the bigeast to expand into kentucky (done) and texas (almost) to keep its BCS status.

the BCS now has SYRACUSE, boston college, pitt, and penn state...that my friends is the northeast.

rutgers and uconn are now useless for bowl and a championship round television eyes.

rut will add regular season cache, for reasons ive been pounding on here, but uconn is useless. always has been, always will be.

and that my friends, ARE THE FACTS.

:eek:

Fishy is very smart. Very good guy. Horrible guest - never bring him to your country club. Biggest mistake of my life.

But I don't see that uconn offers anything to a bcs conf. Rutgers belongs.

Might want to consider what he actually wrote.

I actually don't think any of them are worth much in the grand scheme of things. Really, what does Syracuse or Pitt bring to the ACC? Huge TV markets? No. Great football programs? No. Do either of them bring anything Rutgers or UConn wouldn't? No. Would UConn or Rutgers bring anything the other two wouldn't? No.

It's a grab bag. ESPN isn't lining up to throw cash at the ACC because they've bettered themselves in any major way. They're going to redistribute cash they might have had to pay for a Big East product. The revenue pie is the same size as it was - the ACC will just claim the Big East's slices.

Okay zls, here is what he said... "Pitt of no particular value-Syracuse isn't really either. But you kill a rival by taking both. Why they don't want Rutgers is puzzling." That say's we are of no particular value, my friend. I guess the ACC could have taken UConn and Rutgers and it would be the same. Except, they didn't come for UConn and Rutgers the last time. didn't come for them this time. Would it be safe to say that Syracuse and Pitt must have some particular value that Fishy just doesn't get?

GET OVER IT Nelson and Fishy believe UConn is worth more than SU well THEY AREN'T IN THE MIND of ACC. Your fanbase can believe whatever they want history, tradition MATTERS to the ACC more than whatever your fanbase believes UConn can sell. UConn may make the ACC if they need a filler, but news flash to all UConn fans Syracuse brand > UConn brand, Pittsburgh brand > UConn brand. Nelson and Fishy can try selling your fanbase otherwise, but it is not true. UConn didn't turn down the ACC Swofford contacted Chan. Cantor on September 13rd, and by September 18th we were in the ACC. President Herbst WAS NOT contacted by Swofford if UConn was valued more than Syracuse they would have been contacted and invited to the ACC.

... the ACC wanted Syracuse and has rejected UConn's overtures.
I wouldn't say "rejected". They are in the holding/on-file category. As in: "we will consider your resume when we have another opening".

It's about brands. It's nearly as hard to destroy a brand as it is to build one. It takes YEARS to build a brand. Probably the only college football brands that have been created in the past 15 years are Va Tech (pains me to admit it) and Oregon and even Oregon is soft.

Point being, is that killing a brand is nearly equally as difficult. Schools like Syracuse and Pittsburgh have built up a reputation over the years that people outside of the region don't realize how good or how bad the product is...they just know the brand. Kinda like Olive Garden - shitty food - solid brand. If NBC nightly news ran a story that said "Olive Garden food sucks" - a gazillion people would pay attention and watch. If NBC ran a story that said "Jake's food sucks" - nobody cares, nobody watches. Same goes for sports programming.

The ACC bought the brand, which is what the networks want - especially when it comes to 4 reasonably equal products. UCONN is an unknown and Rutgers' brand has been putrid forever. No matter how many marginal bowls they go to, it stills says Rutgers on the jersey...which is the automotive equivalent to the Edsal. UCONN is Kia. It might be good, but who the F knows.

Its not a hard concept to understand. The ACC took the best brands, because given an equal product, Pitt and SU will draw the most eyes.

One last point about how hard it is to kill a good solid brand. In 1984, Tylenol was literally killing people. But the brand had been around forever as a solid, safe pain medication. So when their CEO came out and admitted there was a problem - and it was ultimately fixed. The brand survived and thrived. Partly because of the way management responded to the crisis, partly because "Tylenol" was such a solid brand.

That's pretty much what dash said he said. And he's wrong. Otherwise Syracuse would be stuck in the Big MAC and crying about how UConn adds nothing to the ACC.

Although maybe Fishy is right and the ACC just flipped a coin to determine which school to invite. :rolleyes: