Capt. Tuttle

Living Legend
Just saw, in 3 days:
Valley of Fire
Zion
Grand Canyon, north rim
Red Canyon
Brice Canyon.

If you are so inclined, we stayed in Kanab, Utah, which is centrally located to all.

Our hotel was the Parry Lodge, which has a unique place in Hollywood history, as does the whole area. Very cool, and a nice hotel. (Motor Lodge)

Not much hiking, as my 78 YO M-I-L was with us, but just viewing from designated spots was breathtaking. A great trip for anyone who wants to be inspired by nature. Just incredible vistas.

I've been out there a couple times and tell everyone that it's the 2nd most beautiful state after Cali.

If not for politics and religion I would live there. Absolutely adored our time in that state. Springdale was unbelievably beautiful

If not for politics and religion I would live there. Absolutely adored our time in that state. Springdale was unbelievably beautiful
Hey, I live in NY despite the politics, greed and graft.
My son thinks he will wind up there (his wife's family actually left the Mormon church), when he is done in the Navy. He just wants to be someplace he is left alone.

I'm of the predominant religion in Utah and it's definitely not what people really think, and the politics are evolving. I've liked living in Utah far more than I expected.

I love all those parks. Valley of Fire is underrated. Or, at least, under-publicized compared to these famous national parks. Did you see the spot where Austin Powers filmed? Also a special spot in Hollywood history.

I'm of the predominant religion in Utah and it's definitely not what people really think, and the politics are evolving. I've liked living in Utah far more than I expected.

I have kids and considered moving there and what ive heard is not that anyone is mean or bad but that there will regularly be times when my non-mormon kids would be excluded from things. I just wouldnt want to deal wth that for them.

Plus I need access to really good beer and Utah aint gonna cut it

Salt Lake is a great place ... Sundance is beautiful.

I'd move there and my company has an office there, but it's been slow going with regards to increasing the staffing.

I have kids and considered moving there and what ive heard is not that anyone is mean or bad but that there will regularly be times when my non-mormon kids would be excluded from things. I just wouldnt want to deal wth that for them.

Unfortunately I think the potential for exclusion you mentioned is a reasonable concern. The faith is really community based, but because the state was left to itself for so long and so predominantly Mormon for a long time, that sense of community manifested in some weird ways. One crappy one is that there can at times be an in group vs out group feel dependent on church membership. Another is that the Mormon congregation structure (called a ward) ends up creating some artificial boundaries within the community. For example, because of my association with a ward, I know some in my neighborhood (Western edge) far better than others. Meanwhile, there are people a block to the East I've never even crossed paths with all just because that's a different ward.

I will say, it's an unusual experience living in Utah as a Mormon where Mormonism is very common if not the faith of the majority, having grown up in New York where there are few Mormons. There are aspects to Utah Mormon culture unique to Utah I don't think are in accordance with church doctrine and teachings, which is a problem.

As for the beer... yeah. Not a problem for me since I don't drink, but people that like to do work a little harder for that here.

Colorado sounds like a good place for you.

As someone who moved to Utah 3 years ago with a wife and a son, and who is not associated with the LDS religion, I can say we have loved living here. We've been welcomed with open arms, invited to many social gatherings, and while I think there will be times when the fact we are not LDS will exclude us from certain things I'm OK with that. The weather here is close to perfect most of the time, the scenery is amazing and the economy is strong.

I do miss real beer, the ocean, the Dome, Yankee Stadium...but that's what visits back east are for.