Out of the non starting frosh' | Syracusefan.com

Out of the non starting frosh'

STEVEHOLT

There are FIVE letters in the name BLAIN.
Which one do you think makes it into the rotation at even a marginal level?

Or does no body make it?

pfister1 said:
Nobody makes it unless there is an injury or a suspension.

This. Don't see it happening. Garbage minutes against the OCCs and blowouts only.

Nobody with regularity, more situational. Against the lower part of ACC sked, they should see the floor for a few minutes especially in 1st half if things are going well. No real pref in who gets most minutes, as any of them could get in. In closer games and against good opponents, they won't see the floor (except from the bench) as in Maui and against IU.

Ok. let me rephrase.

lets say in a hypothetical world one of the bench frosh makes the rotation...albeit in a marginal manner.

who is it?

Ok. let me rephrase.

lets say in a hypothetical world one of the bench frosh makes the rotation...albeit in a marginal manner.

who is it?
Probably BJ Johnson because he has the ability to add a second three point threat for the rotation.

Patterson. He defends and he has great wingspan. BJ's a next year 'after Grant leaves 6th man' (which with our team means he has to be terrific) and Roberson will take over for CJ.

Roberson

BJ Johnson plays almost no defense or I would have picked him because of the ability to stretch the floor

Ok. let me rephrase.

who is it?

Even in a hypothetical world there is no 9th man if that 9th man is a freshman, so still no one unless there is a significant injury or suspension.

Tough question,
I think Cooney, Fair and Ennis can shoot the jumper to well right now that we don't need another shooter unless they are at high 30%, and Coleman and Rak are ahead of the freshmen on both sides of the court. imo Gbinije is atleast on the defensive end, and his ball handling and swing pass is key.

I don't think this teams defense has played up to jb's expectations but our offense in Ennis, Cooney and Fair has easily surpassed them(although I think JB is still alittle shaky potatoes on grant, or maybe thats just me. ;))

The real question, does JB feel any of them could be ready for a few minutes playing time by march???

Got to agree with pfister and 2-3 zone can't see it happening.

But, I also got to go back to the Grant at center preseason thoughts, if Gbinije Roberson or BJ prove they can step up and score on offense for a 2-3 minute stretch. Grants jumper will force centers to come out on him constantly or cause somebody to be wide open, and he is as long as and not much skinnier then keita with better hands for rebounding. Plus he will be right in his sweet spot in the high post, opening the driving lanes for a few minutes. If teams screw around and get their best center in foul trouble and throw some skinnier center with little-no offense out there, that could be a plus.

Last edited:
While Roberson might be the most talented, I'd say it's one of the guards replacing a slumping Gbinjie. There's too many bodies for Roberson to displace.

Roberson has the best chance. If Christmas and Coleman really fall of their face he could get minutes behind Grant and Fair. Don't see it happening... but thats the best chance.

Agree with Roberson. I can't see any circumstance at all that BJ or Buss get any run barring an injury.

All u needed to see was Silent G's shift to the 3 in several games to recognize that the frosh are not gonna get much run.
I'd love to see Roberson especially get more run- he could prove to be a valuable asset on the front line, & not just in emergency situations. BJ as another shooter & Buss on defense could also be valuable...just not yet.

In retrospect, do you think there will be regrets about not redshirting BJ or Patterson?

In retrospect, do you think there will be regrets about not redshirting BJ or Patterson?
I got the impression we would have liked to have redshirted BJ but he wouldn't have commited without a guarentee that wouldn't happen.

I still say BJ. If our offense suffers do to the lack of consistent 3 point threats outside of Cooney, then I could see BJ possibly, unlikely, but possibly working as a shooter to draw attention from opposing defenses.

I know Patterson apparently is also a skilled shooter.

No idea about Roberson. Anyone know how his mid range-perimeter game is?

Hit foul shot looks saucy.

Maybe the question to be asked is: Who of the frosh is not a defensive liability on the floor? That's who'll play the most (barring injury or foul-substitution needs, of course).-VBOF

I'd say Roberson, but can't see him taking minutes away from CJ or Grant. Just too much talent ahead of him.

So for that reason I would say Buss, simply because there's so little depth at guard and BJ isn't quite there physically yet.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom