Over/Under 7.5 wins | Syracusefan.com

Over/Under 7.5 wins

TexanMark

Tailgate Guru
I've seen a ton of football in my life and what happened on Saturday tells me one thing. This team is a work in progress and the talk of Orange Bowl/Top 25 should cease. This team is this team...not '18.

Time to reset. It isn't a bad team but one that is finding itself. Most realize there are issues on both sides of the ball. Heck even parts of our STs are still a little shaky. I see 3-2 heading into NCSt. NCSt will be a huge statement game. Win there and Cuse can start talking Top 25 again.

That said I'm going barely over with 8 wins. I know TD will grow in the position. The ACC is littered with solid teams and we can be one of them and win our share of games.

What say you?

I agree with the issues we have at LB and OL to start the season an 8 win season would be a success.

I am disappointed we missed a golden opportunity to showcase the university and football program with Gameday on campus. My hope is the players and coaching staff learned a valuable lesson at Maryland.

I've seen a ton of football in my life and what happened on Saturday tells me one thing. This team is a work in progress and the talk of Orange Bowl/Top 25 should cease. This team is this team...not '18.

Time to reset. It isn't a bad team but one that is finding itself. Most realize there are issues on both sides of the ball. Heck even parts of our STs are still a little shaky. I see 3-2 heading into NCSt. NCSt will be a huge statement game. Win there and Cuse can start talking Top 25 again.

That said I'm going barely over with 8 wins. I know TD will grow in the position. The ACC is littered with solid teams and we can be one of them and win our share of games.

What say you?

I agree with your assessment.

To me, based on the other ACC games I’d go:

Tough, likely loss:
NC State, Clemson

Tough, toss up:
BC, Wake, Duke

Tough, should win:
Louisville, Pitt, FSU

A lot boils down to growth. LB, OL, QB have to get better. I have faith that they will, as this staff has done it before... but things are shaky.

I had us preseason as 8-4. 3 baked in wins. 1 baked in loss. Then 5-3 in the “toss ups”/ peer games. I wouldn’t usually consider FSU a peer, but they were a mess last year.

At this point, winning even 4 of those peer games seems a stretch, but I think the schedule sets up reasonably well and we end up 7-5. For the sake of continued fan interest, we need to play well at home.

I say 7-5 is the ceiling. I’ve felt that way for months. The Maryland game troubled me. The road schedule is somewhat daunting. DeVito will take time, and I’m concerned about a pocket passer with our surrounding talent. Now the defense is a question. I’m trying to remain optimistic.

It's not ideal but in a look at the bright side sort of way, it's a little fun that Pitt and BC are such important games now.

Beat WMU and Holy Cross, go 3-4 the rest of the way, win a bowl game, go 7-6 in your qbs first full year, and have higher expectations next year.

I say 7-5 is the ceiling. I’ve felt that way for months. The Maryland game troubled me. The road schedule is somewhat daunting. DeVito will take time, and I’m concerned about a pocket passer with our surrounding talent. Now the defense is a question. I’m trying to remain optimistic.
This is where I’m at right now. I tried rewatching the Maryland game and just couldn’t do it. I see huge issues with O-line, receivers, and defense (specifically LBs and communication.) A team like Wake will give us fits. I’m thinking 7-5.

Until teams respect TD's ability to run; our Wide Receivers' will not be able to burn teams like last year.

Just remember there is a fine line between good and mediocre teams.

Last edited:
This is where I’m at right now. I tried rewatching the Maryland game and just couldn’t do it. I see huge issues with O-line, receivers, and defense (specifically LBs and communication.) A team like Wake will give us fits. I’m thinking 7-5.
Wake is at home this year...last game. It is not inconceivable we are 5-6 playing them. That said the optimistic me thinks we will be 7-4.

I firmly believe that we can and still win 8 games. Loss to Clemson, and 5-2 amongst the rest and a gator bowl berth for another florida bowl to have a sucessful season. FSU may be in meltdown mode soon and it could get ugly for them. Louisville stepped up week one so it will be interesting

Until teams respect TD's ability to run our Wide Receivers' will not be able to burn teams like last year.

Just remember there is a fine line between good and mediocre teams.

we just had 8.5 yards per attempt against MD, i don't know why everyone's thinking we can't succeed throwing without a rushing threat at QB

garropolo never ran the ball. matt johnson was nothing special.

syracuse fans are too focused on syracuse -we're only good with a running qb. we're doing things differently now

The whole team is going to crawl up an accelerated learning curve that began with last week's beat down. They are going to learn a lot about themselves this weekend, rough out some edges against HC and get into the teeth of the ACC schedule with a more focused team. While I wanna say 8 - I think they win 7.

They will, however, be a much better team at the end of the season than we saw in MD.

6-6 to 8-4. Leaning towards the under.

Additional wins: WMU, HC, FSU, Wake, Pitt. Maybe another one or two out of Ville, NCST, Duke, BC

Year of the boat race.

If we get the bounces we got last year we can still get to 8 wins but I think this is going to be a 7 win team.

Before the season I thought the Maryland game would be a swing game between 8 or 9 wins. Now I am thinking 7-5. We win all home games except for Clemson and pull off one from Duke/FSU/Ville

I know Ward is getting hammered and rightfully so after Saturday but I think attitude adjustment will be huge. Humble Pie as DB said. Sorry boys you aren’t as you good as you thought you were. The inexperienced kids will grow, the D just can’t be that bad as this past weekend showed(please) they will find a way to 7

I was cautiously optimistic from the start sitting around 8 wins. I’ll stick at that. Can see 6-9, though.

we just had 8.5 yards per attempt against MD, i don't know why everyone's thinking we can't succeed throwing without a rushing threat at QB

garropolo never ran the ball. matt johnson was nothing special.

syracuse fans are too focused on syracuse -we're only good with a running qb. we're doing things differently now

I'm not necessarily saying you're wrong, but the talent of Garropolo and what Matt Johnson was working with versus their opposition, seems quite a bit ahead of what we have at Syracuse. Dont get "too focused on Syracuse."

We lost the heart of our team, on both sides of the ball, and opened the season with two straight road games

We will learn much more about what the team’s made of Saturday.

Over.

I'm not necessarily saying you're wrong, but the talent of Garropolo and what Matt Johnson was working with versus their opposition, seems quite a bit ahead of what we have at Syracuse. Dont get "too focused on Syracuse."
johnson threw for 424 against tennesee and ran for 22

Over 8. If you go back when Babers was hired, who would not have signed up for 4-8/4-8/10-3/9-4, assuming a bowl win? C'mon...it hurts, yep but this was more about Maryland taking the next step with a lot of pent up frustration than it was Syracuse not being talented. I went back and watched the game, a lot of athletes on your team. More than I expected. You still have building to go, but your going to win a lot more than you lose this year. TDV took steps in the right direction. Baptism by fire a bit. If Durkin did anything right, he killed it on the recruiting trail and Locks added some key ingredients. Go Cuse, cheering for you Saturday.

Give me the under. I think we get pasted again this weekend. Right now I can see HC, WMU and FSU as wins.

Everything else is a loss or a toss up. I think BC and Wake are better this year and L'ville is looking like a very bad matchup for this team.

Give me the under. I think we get pasted again this weekend. Right now I can see HC, WMU and FSU as wins.

Everything else is a loss or a toss up. I think BC and Wake are better this year and L'ville is looking like a very bad matchup for this team.

I wouldn’t count FSU — on the road — as a win. I’ll be thrilled if we split our 4 away games.

Our schedule is so weak this year. MD is a Top 30-40 type of team which makes them the 2nd best team on our schedule. Upsets happen so it is always a possibility, but we really should go 5-1 in the Dome. Anything less than 4-2 is unacceptable. For the four road games, non of those teams are Top 40. At a minimum 1-3 is acceptable, but I could easily see 3-1 vs those crap teams.

I think worst case is 6-6 and best 9-3. I thought 8-4 pre season and I’ll stick to that. Although we certainly are playing a lot worse up to this point.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom