Overall thoughts on 2019 Class | Syracusefan.com

Overall thoughts on 2019 Class

Rocco

Watching you.
Staff swung and miss on a few higher priority kids, but wasted no time getting back to work and landed some good high-quality back-fills. All in all, Dino has himself some good recruiters on the staff (himself included). With the in-roads being made in NJ, Georgia, FL, TX, DC and NYC, I only expect this trend to continue and hopefully keep improving.

Kudos to ALL members of the football department. Closing out the recruiting season is an all-hands-on-deck, team effort. Can't wait for spring and summer ball to start hearing about some of these kids.

Cheers to everyone.

giphy.gif

Staff swung and miss on a few higher priority kids, but wasted no time getting back to work and landed some good high-quality back-fills. All in all, Dino has himself some good recruiters on the staff (himself included). With the in-roads being made in NJ, Georgia, FL, TX, DC and NYC, I only expect this trend to continue and hopefully keep improving.

Kudos to ALL members of the football department. Closing out the recruiting season is an all-hands-on-deck, team effort. Can't wait for spring and summer ball to start hearing about some of these kids.

Cheers to everyone.

giphy.gif
ith

Great job with DL in particular.

Now that the class is pretty much set. Assuming we land the grad transfer Offensive Tackle from South Alabama and the Defensive line transfer from Coastal Carolina what are the overall thoughts of the class?

Have to say I was a little nervous at the beginning taking so many camp offers and low profile kids but I think this class rounded out extremely well. I think we have a bunch of potential studs in this class with the opportunity to add 2 very good transfers. The last two classes this staff has brought in, coupled with the transfers is huge. Most talent we have had on the hill for football in a very long time.

Thoughts?

What I like, is that we can win and be successful with this coaching staff and this level of recruiting class. But I think that it is only going to improve overall.

I think to an extent we will be capped as to how much talent we will be able to bring in as a whole just due to who we are as a university...but the future is very very bright.

Now that we're winning, the sky is the limit for what this head coach and staff can accomplish on the recruiting trail.

It isn't "faith without evidence" anymore -- they have a very positive brand to sell now.

I love the athletes comprising this class -- but I think we're going to see an uptick in the class of 2020, now that we're over the hump and our program is perceived as being on the rise.

To me, I think this is a terrific class. I think the offers these kids got, by and large, were quite good. We got some flips instead of being victimized by losing some of our best players right before signing day. We are becoming the hunter rather than the hunted.

I was kind of surprised to see our recruiting class ranked 12th in the ACC on ESPN a few minutes ago. We got two 4-star LBs who have already enrolled. We have two more 4-star skills players who are now eligible transfers. I know Adams and the Michigan State WR don't count for this class, but they most certainly will be making an instant impact.

We got FIVE young prospects for the defensive line. We got a good looking pocket QB. We got a blazing RB who gray-shirted and finally made it to campus. We've got playmakers up and down the lineup and we are building pretty good depth for the future.

Last edited:
What I like, is that we can win and be successful with this coaching staff and this level of recruiting class. But I think that it is only going to improve overall.

I think to an extent we will be capped as to how much talent we will be able to bring in as a whole just due to who we are as a university...but the future is very very bright.

I looked at 24-7 sports' class rankings and they have us at 58 with 18 commits, none of whom they rate 4 stars. Are they even looking at their own rankings?

We have three 4-star players - the 2 LBs and Nunn, the safety. Plus we have 2 four star transfers coming in. A class with 5 four star players would get you about 30th in the rankings.

Plus Cantin is a crazy athlete who wasn't on anyone's radar as a Canadian who camped here. Holy cow is he going to be good!

I looked at 24-7 sports' class rankings and they have us at 58 with 18 commits, none of whom they rate 4 stars. Are they even looking at their own rankings?

We have three 4-star players - the 2 LBs and Nunn, the safety. Plus we have 2 four star transfers coming in. A class with 5 four star players would get you about 30th in the rankings.

Plus Cantin is a crazy athlete who wasn't on anyone's radar as a Canadian who camped here. Holy cow is he going to be good!

Wasn't updated. They have us with 20 signees and 18 commits. Does. Not. Compute.

They updated it ... now 10th with 20-Cts/51st. Their rankings are based on composites, but I trust the staff ... very happy with this class especially LB, DL, Nunn and Jordan (Benson is also a sleeper at TE).

Last edited:

I may be mistaken but I do not believe that the LB's were ever ranked as 4* on 24-7

Some early thoughts. First, getting 5 D-Linemen (potentially 6 with Dawson) was a coup. With Slayton graduating and sparse numbers, DL was thin. Looking at the athletes we have coming in - speed and size - I feel like the cavalry has arrived. Lots of potential depending on where guys end up, although I'm not sure there's an early contributor outside of Tauzama (who is on campus).

Second, there are some under-rated guys who could be VERY good. Rondi, Goulbourne and Benson come to mind. The backup QB fell into our lap. Jordan - a grayshirt - has serious speed, and may see some early time in the slot. Also, Nunn - who had his pick of programs - adds instant depth to the secondary. And at LB, with two starters gone and Shy clawing his way back academically, we brought in 3 high quality kids that could compete for snaps. Two who are January enrollees (Jones/Kbogpa) will get their chance to shine this Spring.

Last edited:
It is a very solid class, particularly on defense. Dino now has 4 solid classes, strung together, and the days of lacking depth should be behind us. As evidence of that, not many of the members of this class are likely to be playing much in 2019. Maybe Nunn, Jordan, one of the LBs, can push for roles.

I think when you look at a recruiting class you look for 3 things - 1) Did it address the team's needs? 2) Is it largely filled with high upside/high ceiling recruits? and 3) What was the analyst/recruiting mag opinion of the class?

This class, especially if we land the two grad transfers that are rumored, strongly addresses point 1. We needed depth on the DL, we needed depth at LB, we needed an understudy QB and we needed upperclassman help on the OL. We effectively are getting all of that. To point 2, the majority of these recruits are high ceiling recruits, arguably our 2 least regarded recruits in the class by the media are Benson and Goulbourne and both are physical freaks. You're talking kids that are potential homeruns if they pan out. And panning out is the hard part - there are kids in this class that I'm sure we are all excited about that ultimately won't impact the program and there are others that are being overlooked now on signing day that will. IT happens with every single class. Point 3 - we still have some work to do here, I truly believe part of it is perception since we still largely play in the 3 star range where it's the most subjective and most affected by "Big Boy" offer shifts in rankings, but part of it is closing on recruits that are highly regarded and have the measurables and offer sheets to prove it. We still have work to do there to get those 6-8 or so freshman kids every single class that are physically ready to hit the 2 deep from Day 1. We did a nice job with the early enrollees this year getting Jordan and Tuazama who prepped a year, they should be physically ready to compete from Day 1 and that's what we need - that type of competition just makes the program that much better and deeper. You couple them with Jones, Kpogba and Nunn and you're approaching that 6-8 range of True freshman that can contribute day 1. We're getting there.

I think the biggest indicator to me of moving from that 45ish range or so in recruiting to a regular top 25 recruiting class is starting to beat out PSU for Northeast recruits they want. We have not been able to do that during Babers reign and that's something that needs to change. If we aren't making a name for ourselves in the Northeast and building that reputation it hurts us when we take on camp offer/high ceiling kids that we like that don't have the offer sheets. Practically every kid PSU offers gets a mid level or better 3 star rating regardless of the other offers. We don't have that rep yet and we need to start beating them out head to head to get it.

Last edited:
Think we are starting to really raise our floor quite a bit to the point where we can handle a loss at any position other than QB. That would still be just as devastating as it was when Eric was out the past few years with the exception of NC/FSU games. My main concern this year will be getting the young guys enough experience at DE in preparation for when Coleman/Robinson depart because of how vital their pass rushing has been to our defenses new found success.

Think we are starting to really raise our floor quite a bit to the point where we can handle a loss at any position other than QB. That would still be just as devastating as it was when Eric was out the past few years with the exception of NC/FSU games. My main concern this year will be getting the young guys enough experience at DE in preparation for when Coleman/Robinson depart because of how vital their pass rushing has been to our defenses new found success.

Being able to play 4 games, get some experience and still redshirt is a great opportunity for some of the incoming freshman who will be on the 2-deep in 2020 if not this season.

Being able to play 4 games, get some experience and still redshirt is a great opportunity for some of the incoming freshman who will be on the 2-deep in 2020 if not this season.

I think that really helps us (and everyone) but also think the early signing period is really beneficial to us. It helps us lock up the majority of our class before the major poaching occurs by the elite schools. Onlyreally losing out on Dukes and Hewett to late big-time offers is a pretty good year.

I may be mistaken but I do not believe that the LB's were ever ranked as 4* on 24-7

I think that's correct but the problem is that McCallister referred to Jones as a 4 star when he wrote the commitment article.

Fact is though who cares what his stars are and this is what gets under my skin when people just look at the flawed rankings; he picked Syracuse over Auburn, Clemson, Georgia, Iowa St, Kentucky, Louisville, NC State, Ole Miss, Purdue, South Carolina, Utah and West Virginia among many others."

google Mikel Jones 247. it's the second hit.

Four Star LB Mikel Jones Commits to Syracuse - 247Sports.com
https://247sports.com/.../Four-Star-LB-Mikel-Jones-Commits-to-Syracuse--12480121...
Nov 21, 2018 - Four Star LB Mikel Jones Commits to Syracuse ... Jones is ranked the 19th best outside linebacker in the class by the 247 Sports Composite ...

Last edited:
I like what we have done and think next year is a "break out" year in recruiting as long as we win 9 games.

We have main in roads in formerly barren recruiting grounds and have addressed needs both from high schoolers and college transfers.

While this year was HUGE for the program next year will be even bigger on taking the next step to bringing SU football back from the dead/irrelevancy.

Now let us all support the team/school this season and enjoy the ride on the Dino Express...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom