Overtime Elite Basketball League | Syracusefan.com

Overtime Elite Basketball League

I really like this. Hopefully it works out good for the kids

So, are we talking about a 4 team league? How will they fund this?

So, are we talking about a 4 team league? How will they fund this?
Well it mentions KD and Carmelo as investors and I bet other players are involved. I imagine the plan is to get TV contracts as well to pay for it too

I'm curious what "HS academic classes included" means. I'm assuming they don't have to academic qualify and that classes are optional.

Oelvertime has a pretty large following on social media as well and with those type of investors I'd imagine money and publicity won't be a problem.

Well it mentions KD and Carmelo as investors and I bet other players are involved. I imagine the plan is to get TV contracts as well to pay for it too
Investors give the initial funding to get it up and running. Is it sustainable, is the question and how long will the investors cover shortfalls?
I would like to see it work, i'm just skeptical there are enough viewers out there to generate the revenue to cover all the costs in the long run.

So this is just further incentivizing kids to pursue a college education?

Investors give the initial funding to get it up and running. Is it sustainable, is the question and how long will the investors cover shortfalls?
I would like to see it work, i'm just skeptical there are enough viewers out there to generate the revenue to cover all the costs in the long run.
Guess it depends on what kind of exposure it gets and if the top talent goes this route. The G league already starting this with more $ but if this grows i guess it could be a decent option. Some of these top kids have huge followings and people want to see them play. The ignite team has been really good but even the G league lacks in exposure IMO. Will be interesting to see how it goes.

This will definitely complicate the NCAA ruling on compensation. It's effectively starting to build a decentralized version of baseball at this rate.

Right. I don’t understand how it would make money. I could be naive about a TV deal but who the hell is watching this?

That’s why I think there has to be some connection with agents.

Right. I don’t understand how it would make money. I could be naive about a TV deal but who the hell is watching this?

Viewer competition is high and the more you add to it the harder to make a buck. If this connected directly to the NCAA and or the NBA I could see it working. Gonna be hard without a clear revenue source with overhead at as high as 1.2 mil for player salary just to start.

Your last point might be the key. If sports agents (backed by or partnered with athletes) sponsor the teams and the players have to sign with them, I can see this working, potentially. I think the baseball/ hockey model is the best system for pro sports. The college/ pro hoops model just perpetuates a sleazy proxy system that ultimately disadvantages the athletes that don't make it in the pros.

I dont have a problem with 16-18 year olds getting paid to play ball, but where will the players come from? Where will the fans come from? Where will the money come from? Who's going to care?

Is this modeled after Canadian Junior Hockey? I dont really know anything about the revenue system there, whether players get paid etc. I also assume the "fandom" is culturally engrained/baked-in at this point.

A better model could be something more akin to the academy systems you see for soccer in Europe, or the eventually developing a true "farm league" like MLB and NHL have. I actually thought that's what the NBA was striving for with the G League?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom