Class of 2020 - P/K James Williams (GA) COMMITTED / SIGNED NLI TO SYRACUSE (6/19/19) | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2020 P/K James Williams (GA) COMMITTED / SIGNED NLI TO SYRACUSE (6/19/19)

We've all seen how having elite special teams can change a game. Its always seemed so stupid to me why big teams don't go after them as hard as other recruits...countless times we see the notre dames, penn states, bama etc with a god awful kicker. It baffles me

He takes too many steps on his punts, but good distance on all his kicks.
His technique is perfect on both punting and kicking that is why he kicked a 57 yard field goal. Getting Williams is another very smart move by Dino and staff.

James Williams IS one of the best kickers coming out in the 2020 cycle.

I disagree with Subear. He does not take too many steps. After catching the ball and positioning it he takes two steps and contacts the ball on the third. His punting technique is excellent. He holds the ball at the drop point as far away from his body as possible, drops the ball exactly level, kicks the ball with his toe pointed and hits the sweet spot every time with a great follow through which is why the result is always a spiral and his kicks go as far and as high as they do with the high hang time they have.

Last edited:
Wow, my daughter was class of 2018 at his high school. I will have to have the wife congratulate the parents. I have been in Texas, so haven't seen him play. Athens Academy is a small private school, plays 1A private, but for a kicker the competition is just the goalposts.

Well coached, well planned special teams are extremely important to our success. Vs the majority of our opponents we will on paper have roughly equal or lesser talent. Dino knows that in order to gain an edge he has three components that he can effect to his advantage.

1: Scheme. Play fast, no huddle. In theory this neutralizes the opponent from utilizing superior talent by minimising their ability to substitute easily.

2: Superior conditioning.

3: Special teams domination which are very dependant on having excellent kicking talent.
This kid is a weapon. He can help us win the field position battle. There is nothing like a booming punt to get a team out of the hole, or a well placed punt that pins the other team to turn momentum. Great job by the staff as kickers, long snappers and solid holders are three often overlooked but critical positions.

Kohl’s ranks him as the 5th best punter and the 12th best placekicker in the class of 2020. With our punter being a rising senior and our placekicker a rising sophomore, pretty sure he is being recruited primarily as a punter.

Has one of the strongest legs I have ever seen...

And kickoff probably. No need to have Szmyt exposed to that.

Yes. There are cheap shot artists out there. Look at what happened at the Clemson game last year when one of their thugs took out our long snapper.

AS is the closer, money in the bank. Take out only in the case of emergency, or 4th and more than 2 in the redzone.

His technique is perfect on both punting and kicking that is why he kicked a 57 yard field goal. Getting Williams is another very smart move by Dino and staff.

James Williams IS one of the best kickers coming out in the 2020 cycle.

I disagree with Subear. He does not take too many steps. After catching the ball and positioning it he takes two steps and contacts the ball on the third. His punting technique is excellent. He holds the ball at the drop point as far away from his body as possible, drops the ball exactly level, kicks the ball with his toe pointed and hits the sweet spot every time with a great follow through which is why the result is always a spiral and his kicks go as far and as high as they do with the high hang time they have.
He takes three steps not two. I still think he is a great get. It is generally considered preferable if contact with the ball is made on the second step. You are right about the rest of his technique, and I would probably leave his approach unchanged, but blocked punts are more likely with three steps.

Last edited:
He takes three steps not two. I still think he is a great get. It is generally considered preferable if contact with the ball is made on the second step. You are right about the rest of his technique, and I would probably leave his approach unchanged, but blocked punts are more likely with three steps.

I believe I said he takes two steps and contacts the ball with his third. In total that's three steps and the correct way to punt. 1. He catches the ball positions it(laces up) while taking one step, (your kicking foot ), with his right foot, 2. extends the ball away from his body while moving forward and gaining momentum with the left foot, cocks his right leg while dropping a level ball and 3. makes contact with his right foot on the sweet spot just about level with your knee or a bit higher follow through so that your pointed toe extends high about to the top of your head - with proper momentum the motion will pull the punters left foot and body off the ground and the ball spirals high with great hang time.
If you Google Ray Guy "how to punt a football" he takes four starting with the catch from center left foot, first step position second step, right gains momentum left, third and brings his cocked leg and foot forward to contact the ball with his right, four.

Last edited:
If you Google Ray Guy "how to punt a football" he takes four starting with the catch from center left foot, first step position second step, right gains momentum left, third and brings his cocked leg and foot forward to contact the ball with his right, four.
cocked

Seems like a good pickup - but exactly how many years in the college S&C program before a punter is ready to be moved inside on the d-line? Two? Maybe three since they’re a punter?
Nice lol