P5 only Cuse vs Clemson YPP, It’s tighter than you think | Syracusefan.com

P5 only Cuse vs Clemson YPP, It’s tighter than you think

SUskibum

All Conference
Clemson has 5 P5 games, compared to 4 for Cuse, (rank vs teams with minimum 3 P5 games)

Clemson Rushing Defense - 3 ypc allowed - rank 3 (vs P5 only)
Cuse Rushing Defense - 3.7 ypc allowed - rank 20 (vs P5 only)

Clemson Passing Defense - 6.2 ypa allowed - rank 10 (vs P5 only)
Cuse Passing Defense - 6.2 ypa allowed - rank 10 (vs P5 only)

————————————————————————————-

Clemson Rushing Offense - 3.8 ypc - rank 39 (vs P5 only)
Cuse Rushing Offense - 4.1 ypc - rank 34 (vs P5 only)

Clemson Passing Offense - 7.7 ypa - rank 23 (vs P5 only)
Cuse Passing Offense - 8 ypa - rank 19 (vs P5 only)

Clemson has 5 P5 games, compared to 4 for Cuse, (rank vs teams with minimum 3 P5 games)

Good stuff.

Clemson has a decided advantage on their Dl vs SUs Ol.

That is where the game will be won or lost.
Agreed, and if we can contain Shipley, I like DCTW and the defense's chances confusing DJ.

They have played a much more difficult schedule than us. At Wake. At FSU. N.C. State with Leery.
Yep, but that means they need to continue the level of focus that they have shown in a nooner in the 8th game of their “gauntlet “. If they do that’s great for them, but that is tough for any team. Increased chance they come out flat.

Yep, but that means they need to continue the level of focus that they have shown in a nooner in the 8th game of their “gauntlet “. If they do that’s great for them, but that is tough for any team. Increased chance they come out flat.
I would be surprised if they came out flat. Maybe if we got waxed last year by them but I can hear Dabo now. I am hoping their fans aren't ready. Maybe not quite so loud as they would be at night.

That and tackling. Even if they are disruptive on D… if G Shred and Tuck break the first tackle, we can make hay

Dabo mentioned this in his press conference that they missed 27 tackles last week and missed 6 different TFLs on us last year because G Shred just didnt go down on first contact. I am hopeful that our line is a bit better and their tackling is like it was last week!

I would be surprised if they came out flat. Maybe if we got waxed last year by them but I can hear Dabo now. I am hoping their fans aren't ready. Maybe not quite so loud as they would be at night.
Don’t disagree, all I’m saying is if there’s a chance of that, this has a higher chance

Don’t disagree, all I’m saying is if there’s a chance of that, this has a higher chance
yep especially for a nooner. Away team is already out of their routine on a business trip if you will more ready to lace em up that early as part of the whole process, home team is in their element and routine and no college kid I ever knew likes/liked to get up (relatively) early like you do for a game like this, theyre more likely to sleep walk through the start of the game. We don't have to look any farther than our home 12 noon start against Purdue. We slept-walked through the first half before waking up for the miracle second half. That's my story and I'm sticking to it!

Last edited:
yep especially for a nooner. Away team is already out of their routine on a business trip if you will more ready to lace em up that early as part of the whole process, home team is in their element and routine and no college kid I ever knew likes/liked to get up (relatively) early like you do for a game like this, theyre more likely to sleep walk through the start of the game. That's my story and I'm sticking to it!
your lips...and I also think we got a break with the game starting at noon.

It's overall depth. I like our 1s vs theirs if all are healthy. Not sure who, if any, they're missing but their 3s and 4s are probably current level of our 2s

Here is where the game will be decided. We’re going to have to play efficiently and score on offense so our D isn’t on the field for extended periods of time.

In years past I could see them coming out flat. We're 6-0 sitting atop the division. They will not come out flat. We'll need to play our best game to win this one. Just hope we keep it close going to the 4th. Give ourselves a chance.

I agree that's where the game will be won or lost, but we heard the same thing with NCST's dline

We beat them when their starting QB was out, and almost beat them down there when their starting QB was out. In 2017 Kelly Bryant was already hobbling, but our DL (Chris Slayton) knocked him out of the game w/ a concussion. Our DL was imposing in 2017 with Slaton, Alton Robinson and Kendall Coleman. Alton ended Pitt's QB Max Browne's career with a brutal (legal) sack in the Dome that year - the one year Dino has ever beat Pitt.

In 2017 Clemson redshirt freshman Zerrick Cooper played the second half at QB. In 2018, Trevor Lawrence was knocked out of the game early, and reserve Chase Brice finished the game. (I think he's at App State now).

We can't expect DJ Uiagalelei will be knocked out this time. But really, is DJ as good as their previous starting QBs? His game, development, size, and stats are eerily similar to Shrader. It would be sweet to beat them with their #1 QB playing.

Clemson's kicker is almost as good as Andre. I assume their punter is better than Max von Marburg.

My fear is that they play straight up smashmouth football on offense. NC State had some long drives on us. Clemson can do the same, only better. They might just run the ball 60 times for 300+ yards.

We can negate that if we score early and get some turnovers.