Paul Harris: The Falls | Syracusefan.com

Paul Harris: The Falls

OrangeXtreme

The Mayor of Dewitt
1569637815383.png

Man, that Niagara Falls team with Harris was legendary. There was a huge buzz about them all over upstate.

Probably 5 years ago I was in Charlotte and had one of Harris’s high school friends approach me, as I was wearing a Cuse shirt. He loved that I knew about that Niagara Falls team.

Would’ve liked to have watched this. I’ll have to catch it on a rerun or find it on the app.

Man, that Niagara Falls team with Harris was legendary. There was a huge buzz about them all over upstate.

Probably 5 years ago I was in Charlotte and had one of Harris’s high school friends approach me, as I was wearing a Cuse shirt. He loved that I knew about that Niagara Falls team.

Would’ve liked to have watched this. I’ll have to catch it on a rerun or find it on the app.

I came home to watch it, didnt im on PST and thought it would be like most prime time shows. Nope. Missed it.

The Niagara Falls teams before Harris were awesome. With Harris and Flynn...whoa. We played against Lasalle (a High School in Niagara Falls that closed its doors in the 90s and essentially resulted in the Niagara Falls High School superteams...Lasalle was where all of the top HS hoops talent in NF went, at that time) in Sectionals my senior year, and we were all pumped up. Well, Lasalle won the tip and 2 passes later - without the ball having hit the floor - they threw down an alley oop on us. Yeah, it was real ugly.
We played with/against some really good players in HS - scrimmaged against Laettner my sophomore year and we had a kid who played at UConn, but those Lasalle kids, they were something else - tough, hungry, just flat out intimidating.

The Niagara Falls teams before Harris were awesome. With Harris and Flynn...whoa. We played against Lasalle (a High School in Niagara Falls that closed its doors in the 90s and essentially resulted in the Niagara Falls High School superteams...Lasalle was where all of the top HS hoops talent in NF went, at that time) in Sectionals my senior year, and we were all pumped up. Well, Lasalle won the tip and 2 passes later - without the ball having hit the floor - they threw down an alley oop on us. Yeah, it was real ugly.
We played with/against some really good players in HS - scrimmaged against Laettner my sophomore year and we had a kid who played at UConn, but those Lasalle kids, they were something else - tough, hungry, just flat out intimidating.

The coach of those awesome Lasalle teams was from Syracuse, Pat Monti, who then went to Niagara University for college. He retired to Florida and still is into coaching some at a GulfCoast high school down there.

The coach of those awesome Lasalle teams was from Syracuse, Pat Monti, who then went to Niagara University for college. He retired to Florida and still is into coaching some at a GulfCoast high school down there.

Interesting - I didn't know that Monti was originally from Syracuse. From what I recall, Monti was the head coach at Lasalle HS, and when it closed, he was a candidate for the HC job at Niagara Falls HS but didn't get the job. So, Monti coached at a smaller Catholic school in NF for a few years. Dan Bazzani was the HS at Niagara Falls HS, and was actually named USA Today National High School Coach of the Year - I believe when Harris & Flynn were there.

Along with Harris and Flynn they had Rob Garrison (UConn transferred to Niagara) Greg Gamble (Buffalo) Tyrell Lynch (UMass) and James Starks (7 year NFL career) It's not like this was a prep school factory, they were all on a public high school team.

A side note they had a 7 footer I don't think he ended up playing D1 basketball but he was the kicker on the football team who kicked old school straight on style. Probably the funniest thing I've seen in a athletic event.

Interesting - I didn't know that Monti was originally from Syracuse. From what I recall, Monti was the head coach at Lasalle HS, and when it closed, he was a candidate for the HC job at Niagara Falls HS but didn't get the job. So, Monti coached at a smaller Catholic school in NF for a few years. Dan Bazzani was the HS at Niagara Falls HS, and was actually named USA Today National High School Coach of the Year - I believe when Harris & Flynn were there.

Monti is in the NYS Basketball Hall of Fame, Buffalo Sports Hall of Fame, Niagara Falls Sports Hall of Fame. He graduated from St Pat’s in the old Syracuse parochial school league where lots of great basketball was played through it’s demise in the 1970’s.

Roddy Gayle, Jr. - one of the kids mentioned in this article, doesn't go to NFHS, unless he recently transferred. I read earlier this week that Alabama offered Gayle - Oats must be familiar with Gayle from his time in the area.

Any idea when/if this show will be replayed?

Along with Harris and Flynn they had Rob Garrison (UConn transferred to Niagara) Greg Gamble (Buffalo) Tyrell Lynch (UMass) and James Starks (7 year NFL career) It's not like this was a prep school factory, they were all on a public high school team.

A side note they had a 7 footer I don't think he ended up playing D1 basketball but he was the kicker on the football team who kicked old school straight on style. Probably the funniest thing I've seen in a athletic event.

Franklin Jones was his name. He played college ball at UTEP. The year before Flynn joined varsity they had Jeff Parmer who played at Providence. Just absurdly loaded squad for a small city public school.

Roddy Gayle, Jr. - one of the kids mentioned in this article, doesn't go to NFHS, unless he recently transferred. I read earlier this week that Alabama offered Gayle - Oats must be familiar with Gayle from his time in the area.

Any idea when/if this show will be replayed?

Roddy Gayle started on the NFHS varsity as an 8th grader. Transferred to suburban Lew-Port following year because his father and the NFHS coach did not see eye-to-eye on Roddy's development. Family still lives in NF.

Roddy Gayle started on the NFHS varsity as an 8th grader. Transferred to suburban Lew-Port following year because his father and the NFHS coach did not see eye-to-eye on Roddy's development. Family still lives in NF.
Ah, did not know that. Thanks for the info. Niagara Falls to Lewiston (and back) every day...that can't be fun,

Any idea when this will be re-run again? I would love to check it out. Had no idea about it until I read this thread.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom