Perfect day back home | Syracusefan.com

Perfect day back home

Dick_in_MI

Emeritus Legend
Got in town yesterday. Today I took a long walk on the Erie Canal Towpath where in my younger days I used to run 50 miles a week.

Swung through Watertree, where in 1979 I closed on a condo in the morning and then that night met the beautiful girl to whom I would be married for 40 years. Pretty good day that was.

Visited my parents graves then the church where my late wife and I were married 42 years ago next month.

Parked my car in the increasingly congested area around Marshall Street and headed up to campus. I like the new sign at the top of University Ave. Wandered up to the quad and took in the sight of the roller coaster looming majestically over The Artist Formerly Known as The Carrier Dome. Headed over to visit the building that now houses my old academic department. Looks like one of my old profs now has a lecture hall named after him. Well done.

Strolled down for a slice of my favorite pizza in the world at The Varsity. The mens room doesn’t look like has been updated since my SU days but I guess that is what is known as tradition. Replenished my SU wardrobe at the usual places and then drove through my childhood neighborhood in the eastern suburbs followed by a drive through the neighborhood my family lived in the western suburbs prior to moving to Michigan in 1991. Stopped for a cone at Peter’s Polar Parlor and called it an afternoon. Dinner tonight at Joey’s with old friends.

It doesn’t get much better for your old buddy Dick in Michigan but the SU game on Saturday with my niece will be the icing on the cake.

Great to be back home.

Got in town yesterday. Today I took a long walk on the Erie Canal Towpath where in my younger days I used to run 50 miles a week.

Swung through Watertree, where in 1979 I closed on a condo in the morning and then that night met the beautiful girl to whom I would be married for 40 years. Pretty good day that was.

Visited my parents graves then the church where my late wife and I were married 42 years ago next month.

Parked my car in the increasingly congested area around Marshall Street and headed up to campus. I like the new sign at the top of University Ave. Wandered up to the quad and took in the sight of the roller coaster looming majestically over The Artist Formerly Known as The Carrier Dome. Headed over to visit the building that now houses my old academic department. Looks like one of my old profs now has a lecture hall named after him. Well done.

Strolled down for a slice of my favorite pizza in the world at The Varsity. The mens room doesn’t look like has been updated since my SU days but I guess that is what is known as tradition. Replenished my SU wardrobe at the usual places and then drove through my childhood neighborhood in the eastern suburbs followed by a drive through the neighborhood my family lived in the western suburbs prior to moving to Michigan in 1991. Stopped for a cone at Peter’s Polar Parlor and called it an afternoon. Dinner tonight at Joey’s with old friends.

It doesn’t get much better for your old buddy Dick in Michigan but the SU game on Saturday with my niece will be the icing on the cake.

Great to be back home.

No trip to ESM?

Great to be back home.

Love this. All of it. Enjoy the rest of the weekend!

No trip to ESM?
I did swing off of Kirkville Rd through the parking lot. Looks the same as it did the day it opened my freshman year. Lots of fine memories. It has been years since I have been inside. Then I headed up through Fremont where….and I’m sure I’m spelling this wrong…an old rickety wooden bridge used to be. Rottenour Bridge? Rick, you would know as I seem to recall you were from Fremont. I’ll never forget the white knuckles while driving over it although it was replaced many years ago.

The Artist Formerly Known as The Carrier Dome.
I love this. That's what I'm calling it going forward.

I know money is nice and everything but I just think JMA Wireless Dome is so incredibly cheesy.

I did swing off of Kirkville Rd through the parking lot. Looks the same as it did the day it opened my freshman year. Lots of fine memories. It has been years since I have been inside. Then I headed up through Fremont where….and I’m sure I’m spelling this wrong…an old rickety wooden bridge used to be. Rottenour Bridge? Rick, you would know as I seem to recall you were from Fremont. I’ll never forget the white knuckles while driving over it although it was replaced many years ago.

Rotnour Bridge. Sure do remember it. If you think driving over it was a white knuckler, you should have tried walking across it as a buddy of mine and I did several times walking to Minoa. The right side heading to Fremont had a walkway. It was torn down in 1972.

B4E1D22E-7C67-4D06-90BB-F0CF08F3FC57.jpeg
64F08B9B-7C11-41CA-8490-B67CD5C8D4B7.jpeg

Last edited:

Great to be back home.
Your story made me feel good, thanks

Great to be back home.
Awesome. I’m very happy for you.

Great to be back home.
Lived across kirkville Rd from Watertree (Franklin Park). Played hockey on the ponds during Watertree construction . Small World

Lived across kirkville Rd from Watertree (Franklin Park). Played hockey on the ponds during Watertree construction . Small World

My father lived at Watertree for several years after my mom passed and he sold the house.

god bless ya bro, enjoy the rest of your time and the great game saturday. Hope to finally meet you at the SyraCruz tailgate! Enjoy
Awesome post. So glad you made the return to the board a few years ago. You have so much to offer. Hopefully you’ll make it to our tailgate?
I’ll see what I can do. My niece and nephew have season tix and I will be arriving when they arrive. Have been to a few board tailgates on the road but never had the pleasure of seeing the Fine Mess tailgate. I’ll try to swing through for a few minutes if I can.

I love this. That's what I'm calling it going forward.

I know money is nice and everything but I just think JMA Wireless Dome is so incredibly cheesy.
A Carrier Dome without a/c was also cheesy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom