Perry Mason? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Perry Mason?

Why did they use Perry Mason name for this franchise and dump the best part of the old Perry Mason show which was the theme song.

Also Perry should be a damn esquire.
He is now. maybe it is my age. I get that. But I love Perry mason. I love this show. I love the books. I loved the series. If I was alive when the radio show was on, I would have loved that too I bet.

you really dont much goes on? I guess if all you want is a mindless action show.. The acting is really good, the writing is really solid, some really greay throw away lines, the story is pretty complicated and I still dont really know who the bad guy is supposed to be with only 2 episodes left

you really dont much goes on? I guess if all you want is a mindless action show..
That is not the problem for me. I just am not invested in the story. I cannot put my finger on what went wrong for me. I do agree the acting is strong and there are some good lines.

edit: maybe I am just bored with the dark-mystery genre. There has been so much of it on HBO and the other streaming services.

Why did they use Perry Mason name for this franchise and dump the best part of the old Perry Mason show which was the theme song.

Also Perry should be a damn esquire.
Della was the best part of the old show

He is now. maybe it is my age. I get that. But I love Perry mason. I love this show. I love the books. I loved the series. If I was alive when the radio show was on, I would have loved that too I bet.

Take it for what it's worth...Wikipedia.

Raymond Burr

Biographical contradictions[edit]

At various times in his career, Burr and his managers and publicists offered spurious or unverifiable biographical details to the press and public. Burr's obituary in The New York Times states that he entered the US Navy in 1944, after The Duke in Darkness, and left in 1946, weighing almost 350 pounds (160 kg).[4] Although Burr may have served in the Coast Guard, reports of his service in the US Navy are false, as apparently are his statements[73] that he sustained battle injuries at Okinawa.[6]:57–58[74][a]

Other false biographical details include years of college education at a variety of institutions, being widowed twice, a son who died young, world travel and success in high school athletics.[6]:17, 20, 23–24, 40–41 Most of these claims were apparently accepted as fact by the press during Burr's lifetime, up until his death[4][12] and by his first biographer, Ona Hill.[3]:27

Burr reportedly got married at the beginning of World War II to an actress named Annette Sutherland[75]—killed, Burr said, in the same 1943 plane crash that claimed the life of actor Leslie Howard. However, multiple sources have reported that no one by that name appears on any of the published passenger manifests from the flight.[3]:19–20 A son supposedly born during this marriage, Michael Evan, was said to have died of leukemia in 1953 at the age of ten.[3][4][12] Another marriage purportedly took place in the early 1950s to a Laura Andrina Morgan—who died of cancer, Burr said, in 1955.[74] Yet no evidence exists of either marriage, nor of a son's birth, other than Burr's own claims.[6]:44–45 As late as 1991, Burr stood by the account of this son's life and death. He told Parade Magazine that when he realized Michael was dying, he took him on a one-year tour of the United States. "Before my boy left, before his time was gone," he said, "I wanted him to see the beauty of his country and its people."[12] After Burr's death, his publicist confirmed that Burr worked steadily in Hollywood throughout 1952, the year that he was supposedly touring the country with his son.[6]:216

In the late 1950s, Burr was rumored to be romantically involved with Natalie Wood.[1] Wood's agent sent her on public dates so she could be noticed by directors and producers, and so the men she dated could present themselves in public as heterosexuals. The dates helped to disguise Wood's relationship with Robert Wagner, whom she later married.[6]:64–70[76]:205–06 Burr reportedly resented Warner Bros.' decision to promote her attachment to another gay actor, Tab Hunter, rather than him. Robert Benevides later said, "He was a little bitter about it. He was really in love with her, I guess."[77]:214[c]

Later accounts of Burr's life explain that he hid his homosexuality to protect his career.[69] "That was a time in Hollywood history when homosexuality was not countenanced", Associated Press reporter Bob Thomas recalled in a 2000 episode of Biography. "Ray was not a romantic star by any means, but he was a very popular figure … If it was revealed at that time in Hollywood history it would have been very difficult for him to continue."[6]:119[d]

Arthur Marks, a producer of Perry Mason, recalled Burr's talk of wives and children: "I know he was just putting on a show. … That was my gut feeling. I think the wives and the loving women, the Natalie Wood thing, were a bit of a cover."[6]:100 Dean Hargrove, executive producer of the Perry Mason TV films, said in 2006, "I had always assumed that Raymond was gay, because he had a relationship with Robert Benevides for a very long time. Whether or not he had relationships with women, I had no idea. I did know that I had trouble keeping track of whether he was married or not in these stories. Raymond had the ability to mythologize himself, to some extent, and some of his stories about his past … tended to grow as time went by."[6]:214

Take it for what it's worth...Wikipedia.

Raymond Burr

Biographical contradictions[edit]

At various times in his career, Burr and his managers and publicists offered spurious or unverifiable biographical details to the press and public. Burr's obituary in The New York Times states that he entered the US Navy in 1944, after The Duke in Darkness, and left in 1946, weighing almost 350 pounds (160 kg).[4] Although Burr may have served in the Coast Guard, reports of his service in the US Navy are false, as apparently are his statements[73] that he sustained battle injuries at Okinawa.[6]:57–58[74][a]

Other false biographical details include years of college education at a variety of institutions, being widowed twice, a son who died young, world travel and success in high school athletics.[6]:17, 20, 23–24, 40–41 Most of these claims were apparently accepted as fact by the press during Burr's lifetime, up until his death[4][12] and by his first biographer, Ona Hill.[3]:27

Burr reportedly got married at the beginning of World War II to an actress named Annette Sutherland[75]—killed, Burr said, in the same 1943 plane crash that claimed the life of actor Leslie Howard. However, multiple sources have reported that no one by that name appears on any of the published passenger manifests from the flight.[3]:19–20 A son supposedly born during this marriage, Michael Evan, was said to have died of leukemia in 1953 at the age of ten.[3][4][12] Another marriage purportedly took place in the early 1950s to a Laura Andrina Morgan—who died of cancer, Burr said, in 1955.[74] Yet no evidence exists of either marriage, nor of a son's birth, other than Burr's own claims.[6]:44–45 As late as 1991, Burr stood by the account of this son's life and death. He told Parade Magazine that when he realized Michael was dying, he took him on a one-year tour of the United States. "Before my boy left, before his time was gone," he said, "I wanted him to see the beauty of his country and its people."[12] After Burr's death, his publicist confirmed that Burr worked steadily in Hollywood throughout 1952, the year that he was supposedly touring the country with his son.[6]:216

In the late 1950s, Burr was rumored to be romantically involved with Natalie Wood.[1] Wood's agent sent her on public dates so she could be noticed by directors and producers, and so the men she dated could present themselves in public as heteros e xuals. The dates helped to disguise Wood's relationship with Robert Wagner, whom she later married.[6]:64–70[76]:205–06 Burr reportedly resented Warner Bros.' decision to promote her attachment to another gay actor, Tab Hunter, rather than him. Robert Benevides later said, "He was a little bitter about it. He was really in love with her, I guess."[77]:214[c]

Later accounts of Burr's life explain that he hid his homos e xuality to protect his career.[69] "That was a time in Hollywood history when homos e xuality was not countenanced", Associated Press reporter Bob Thomas recalled in a 2000 episode of Biography. "Ray was not a romantic star by any means, but he was a very popular figure … If it was revealed at that time in Hollywood history it would have been very difficult for him to continue."[6]:119[d]

Arthur Marks, a producer of Perry Mason, recalled Burr's talk of wives and children: "I know he was just putting on a show. … That was my gut feeling. I think the wives and the loving women, the Natalie Wood thing, were a bit of a cover."[6]:100 Dean Hargrove, executive producer of the Perry Mason TV films, said in 2006, "I had always assumed that Raymond was gay, because he had a relationship with Robert Benevides for a very long time. Whether or not he had relationships with women, I had no idea. I did know that I had trouble keeping track of whether he was married or not in these stories. Raymond had the ability to mythologize himself, to some extent, and some of his stories about his past … tended to grow as time went by."[6]:214
I knew all that. Quite frankly, I never cared.

you really dont much goes on? I guess if all you want is a mindless action show.. The acting is really good, the writing is really solid, some really greay throw away lines, the story is pretty complicated and I still dont really know who the bad guy is supposed to be with only 2 episodes left
Not really, every episode is essentially the same. Perry drinks and gets it on with the Mexican lady. The preacher lady preaches and gets scolded by her mom. Emily Dodson gets caught lying about something. The Boardwalk Empire guy is out following a hunch. The law firm lady finds some info. The black cop feels slighted. That about cover it?

Not really, every episode is essentially the same. Perry drinks and gets it on with the Mexican lady. The preacher lady preaches and gets scolded by her mom. Emily Dodson gets caught lying about something. The Boardwalk Empire guy is out following a hunch. The law firm lady finds some info. The black cop feels slighted. That about cover it?
I’m also not a fan of Lithgow’s over-the-top caricature acting lately (see Winston Churchill in The Crown).

Season 2 ended.. Hope is for a season 3..

I like the less action, more slow, drawn out time period stuff.

Season 2 had some nice twists and ends on a different note for sure.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom