Pete Thamel on Jim Rome Show | Syracusefan.com

Pete Thamel on Jim Rome Show

longtimefan

Hall of Fame
Fans need to consider the "prospect . . . of a fall without football."

you could move the season to Oct and still get it done if they wanted too. you could remove OC games too. if colleges are open we have fball, if they are not then a whole mess of stuff is still bad.

I'm already expecting not to have football in the fall. Easier to accept it if we don't and it becomes a nice surprise and something to look forward to if we do.

so if you are the major sports, why would you have any draft at all if you dont expect to play in the fall? it just means spending millions on people who wont make you anything.. you would be better cutting off the marginal players from the roster and sitting with 30 contracts instead of 50 until you see what is happening. Same with the NBA. hold the draft 2 months before the season starts, everyone would be mostly in the same spot of disarray. if the season is delayed a yr thats billions of savings..

so if you are the major sports, why would you have any draft at all if you dont expect to play in the fall? it just means spending millions on people who wont make you anything.. you would be better cutting off the marginal players from the roster and sitting with 30 contracts instead of 50 until you see what is happening. Same with the NBA. hold the draft 2 months before the season starts, everyone would be mostly in the same spot of disarray. if the season is delayed a yr thats billions of savings..
What about the financial straits colleges will be in if they can't open their campuses in the fall?

no doubt but they could also move the start of the yr by 2-3 months and finish in the summer if they need too..

even shorten the winter breaks if they wanted.

id think china and italy will give us clues to how long this will be around

Lol! Great reply

There are a lot of anti-baseball people, and even though I'm not one, I get it. It's not for everyone.

As unlikely as it seems, I do wonder if baseball were to start up in, say, June or July, would it get an early bump of its best ratings/popularity in recent history just because it's SOMETHING normal for people to latch on to?

I can almost hear it now...

5f6ea204c4dd53bf311c856f001cad8b.jpg

There are a lot of anti-baseball people, and even though I'm not one, I get it. It's not for everyone.

As unlikely as it seems, I do wonder if baseball were to start up in, say, June or July, would it get an early bump of its best ratings/popularity in recent history just because it's SOMETHING normal for people to latch on to?

I can almost hear it now...

5f6ea204c4dd53bf311c856f001cad8b.jpg
I would take any sport right now. I was half kidding in my reply. The sandlot still remains one of my fav movies of all time. And I will say. Something about October playoff baseball is fantastic

Thamel doesn't know any more than anyone else on how long this virus will keep things shut down.
And he made that point more than once. But, he does have connections high up in college athletics who have told him what they're thinking and dealing with right now.

Our government doctors and scientists dont know the future but thamel does. Riiight.
He did not make that claim at all. Listen to the interview. He said we need to consider the possibility.

Higher Education isn’t shutting down next fall if they can help it.

NFL will play in empty stadiums no matter what.

Only baseball is in question. NHL and NBA can have their playoffs similar to a summer league everyone flies to one location for a tournament with no fans.

Fans need to consider the "prospect . . . of a fall without football."

There will be football this Fall.

There may not be an NBA Draft in June, but there will be football...

I know the discussions going on at our school is very much in the planning on some kind of normal in the fall..

that might be means sports with no fans, smaller class sizes, or continued distance learning.

But they also dont know enough to make real decisions.. Plans are being made for summer sessions right now because they have to plan for that whether it happens or not..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom