Petro named new defensive coordinator | Syracusefan.com

Petro named new defensive coordinator

Id like to see Petro, he can recruit we all know that and given that he wants a second shot as as HC you have to figure your getting 110% from him. Obviously he won't be here long but if he does a good job its worth it.
How do you reconcile that with how his recent JHU defenses looked lost and confused?

For the record, I voted for Merrill. I’m sure there are plenty of good candidates I don’t know of. I wouldn’t want Petro or Beardsley. Getting Petro only makes sense to me if his two boys join him at SU.

How do you reconcile that with how his recent JHU defenses looked lost and confused?

Ya that's a good point, my hope is that being the DC he doesn't have to worry about all of the bigger picture things and team aspect that a HC needs to deal with. I would also hope that he has tweaked his philosophy to be more aggressive which I assume Gait will demand out of his defenses.

For the record, I voted for Merrill. I’m sure there are plenty of good candidates I don’t know of. I wouldn’t want Petro or Beardsley. Getting Petro only makes sense to me if his two boys join him at SU.
Has Merrill's name come up? That would be cool.

If you could get Brodie Merrill you would have to do it. No question.

Sounds like its going to be Petro. Which is bananas.

agree ohmi. I can hear the laughs now, but I would have hired Brodie for the head coaching position.

I voted for Petro for the same reasons Jeremy stated. Plus I think it will be good to have someone on staff with men’s head coaching experience to balance out Gait’s inexperience. I think it’s a really good fit actually. Totally understand the concerns surrounding his last years at Hopkins, but he might just have needed a fresh start.

The big question will be can his sons be flipped? It would be a huge get, just have no idea what the dynamics in play are. I do wonder how long he sees himself at Syracuse - would he only leave for a Power 5 head coaching job?

Small quibble but would have liked to see Rogers name listed in the poll, just out of a courtesy I guess.

Other people I might have considered wound be Kyle Georgalas from Army and Matt Dwan from Loyola. Those schools always seem to have tough defenses and they both have a good amount of experience. Don’t know if they’d be better or worse than Petro.

Brodie certainly would have been interesting. Curious what the reason was for listing him?

beardsley is not getting the job in any universe without some decent time elapsing.

I voted for Petro for the same reasons Jeremy stated. Plus I think it will be good to have someone on staff with men’s head coaching experience to balance out Gait’s inexperience. I think it’s a really good fit actually. Totally understand the concerns surrounding his last years at Hopkins, but he might just have needed a fresh start.

The big question will be can his sons be flipped? It would be a huge get, just have no idea what the dynamics in play are. I do wonder how long he sees himself at Syracuse - would he only leave for a Power 5 head coaching job?

Small quibble but would have liked to see Rogers name listed in the poll, just out of a courtesy I guess.

Other people I might have considered wound be Kyle Georgalas from Army and Matt Dwan from Loyola. Those schools always seem to have tough defenses and they both have a good amount of experience. Don’t know if they’d be better or worse than Petro.

Brodie certainly would have been interesting. Curious what the reason was for listing him?
how does it work for a new coach and the kids going to school for free/reduced what ever it is up at SU now?

adding a quality player for Lax that wouldnt count against the scholie limit would be nice.

He coaches at the Hill Academy in Canada. He's got a great defensive resume.

Correct, I guess you don’t see many high school coaches jump to college these days. I know he’s not just any high school coach obviously just didn’t think he was an obvious candidate. Would think current college coaches might get listed ahead of him (and Beardsley).

I think I only had 4 slots and I had Rogers as the 4th option but then there was no other option, so I took him out. The Beardsley option is a joke. I shouldn’t have given him as an option. I mostly just wanted to confirm that fans don’t actually want Beardsley as the DC.

If we are dreaming Regy Thorpe Pat McCabe or John Galloway I don’t think Petro works as an assistant especially with Gaits creative and free flow offense I think it will lead to ego clashes and even if it works Petro is on the first bus out of town when the next HC position opens

I think I only had 4 slots and I had Rogers as the 4th option but then there was no other option, so I took him out. The Beardsley option is a joke. I shouldn’t have given him as an option. I mostly just wanted to confirm that fans don’t actually want Beardsley as the DC.

I don't think Beardsley will be on anyone's sideline for a while.

If we are dreaming Regy Thorpe Pat McCabe or John Galloway I don’t think Petro works as an assistant especially with Gaits creative and free flow offense I think it will lead to ego clashes and even if it works Petro is on the first bus out of town when the next HC position opens
It’s already done- you can stop thinking

A few thoughts if the rumors are true then the combination of Gait and Pietromala:

1. Will give the lacrosse program a very high lax IQ, how that translates on the field is an important question. But it has the potential to have a very positive benefit.

2. This coaching combination has the potential to create a positive recruiting team and if Gary can convince Desko to help in this area, that could be very exciting. Imagine March and 3 hall of famers recruiting 5 star prospects.

3. I would hope Gary won't surround himself with "yes men." There is a benefit for healthy tension created by differing perspectives and maybe Pietromala will provide what Gary needs to be even more creative than he already is.

I'm curious to know why you think Gait is inexperienced. While it remains to be seen if he can be a successful D1 men's coach, calling him inexperienced is an insult to what he's done up to this point.

I'm curious to know why you think Gait is inexperienced. While it remains to be seen if he can be a successful D1 men's coach, calling him inexperienced is an insult to what he's done up to this point.
Reading the post, he did say men's head coaching experience.

Reading the post, he did say men's head coaching experience.
Gary has coached men too. I will admit I may have misinterpreted. My point is that he is certainly not inexperienced as a head coach.

A few thoughts if the rumors are true then the combination of Gait and Pietromala:

1. Will give the lacrosse program a very high lax IQ, how that translates on the field is an important question. But it has the potential to have a very positive benefit.

2. This coaching combination has the potential to create a positive recruiting team and if Gary can convince Desko to help in this area, that could be very exciting. Imagine March and 3 hall of famers recruiting 5 star prospects.

3. I would hope Gary won't surround himself with "yes men." There is a benefit for healthy tension created by differing perspectives and maybe Pietromala will provide what Gary needs to be even more creative than he already is.

There's a lot to be said to not have to micro manage your staff. You come up with the style/plan/concept together and then you know you can leave your assistants to go install/run/teach their side of the ball and not have to worry about it.

Gary has coached men too. I will admit I may have misinterpreted. My point is that he is certainly not inexperienced as a head coach.

I guess I should have been more careful with my wording but I did mean college, men’s coaching. I know he coached MLL and NLL and the Canadian world team but it’s been a while since he did those things. And the college men’s game is unique, in regards to rules, personnel and recruiting.

In no way did I mean that he was inexperienced. Just don’t know how in tune he is to recruits or even the current players on his team right now. Are there players in the Portal right now that he wants to target or is he trying to do all his research now? Does he know the nuances of the faceoffs? I’m sure he’s a great teacher and motivator and all the things that make coaches good. But does he know what kind of offense Army runs? Does he know what defense Virginia runs? What kind of relationships does he have with high school coaches? Club coaches? I’m sure he will get up to speed quickly, and obviously being the greatest player of all time means a great deal, but I still think it will help to have someone with Petro’s experience, not to mention connections on the staff. Hope that makes sense.

I guess I should have been more careful with my wording but I did mean college, men’s coaching. I know he coached MLL and NLL and the Canadian world team but it’s been a while since he did those things. And the college men’s game is unique, in regards to rules, personnel and recruiting.

In no way did I mean that he was inexperienced. Just don’t know how in tune he is to recruits or even the current players on his team right now. Are there players in the Portal right now that he wants to target or is he trying to do all his research now? Does he know the nuances of the faceoffs? I’m sure he’s a great teacher and motivator and all the things that make coaches good. But does he know what kind of offense Army runs? Does he know what defense Virginia runs? What kind of relationships does he have with high school coaches? Club coaches? I’m sure he will get up to speed quickly, and obviously being the greatest player of all time means a great deal, but I still think it will help to have someone with Petro’s experience, not to mention connections on the staff. Hope that makes sense.

March staying on will help a lot with connections, players, tendencies etc.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom