Class of 2019 - PF Akok Akok (CT) to UConn | Page 61 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2019 PF Akok Akok (CT) to UConn

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there more to do in Connecticut? The whole state looks about the size of CNY.
I'll take this one, having lived near there for 3 years. Storrs is in the middle of nowhere. The weather is basically the same as Cuse. The campus is boring and nondescript. Gampel is nice for a high school. They play their big games at the Hartford Civic Center which should have been leveled decades ago and was one of the major reasons they lost the NHL. It is a horrendous arena for seating, food, concourses, luxury boxes, etc. Unless a kid wants to stay home and is comfortable with his friends and family I can't fathom why any top baller would commit there. The play in a poor conference and have mediocre training facilities. But you never know why kids choose where they want to go and to be fair Hurley has landed two decent guys already and apparently is keeping them in the mix for others. We'll see.

I'll take this one, having lived near there for 3 years. Storrs is in the middle of nowhere. The weather is basically the same as Cuse. The campus is boring and nondescript. Gampel is nice for a high school. They play their big games at the Hartford Civic Center which should have been leveled decades ago and was one of the major reasons they lost the NHL. It is a horrendous arena for seating, food, concourses, luxury boxes, etc. Unless a kid wants to stay home and is comfortable with his friends and family I can't fathom why any top baller would commit there. The play in a poor conference and have mediocre training facilities. But you never know why kids choose where they want to go and to be fair Hurley has landed two decent guys already and apparently is keeping them in the mix for others. We'll see.

That's funny, I just asked Siri about Storrs...her response was the same. ;):)

As far as I can tell UConn’s recruiting strategy is:

-remind the recruit that Storrs, CT is a few degrees warmer than Syracuse, NY and it most definitely snows less.
-have less good players on your roster so that the recruit can come in and play right away.
-try to use a Jedi Mind Trick to convince him that he committed, when he really didn’t.

Here's the thing with akok...hes comfortable with uconn. Been around the program a lot and has familiarity with current players/staff. We were on him earlier but they have been able to make up ground due to being so close and easily accessible to him. I wasn't going to post this because anytime someone brings up social media everyone jumps down their throats but it's just a way to read the crumbs a bit and worth noting. This kid literally has zero relationship with any current cuse players on the team and even being recruited except goodine/carrigan. Even after the visit nothing has changed. In this day that's a little odd for kids but again it really doesnt mean anything. (I get it...see I even posted that myself so i dont have to be reminded) for a kid that's considered VERY quiet and who didnt talk much i think it's going to come down to what hes comfortable with. Again just my own opinion and not based off of anything else so go ahead and crucify me. If it was strictly a business decision then we should win every day of the week and maybe that's how he decides...I really hope he does. Time will tell with akok

Last edited:
To be fair he has looked expressionless in every picture I’ve seen at every different school.
true . . . and isaiah showed a lot of blank affect in his visit to syracuse last week, but everyone claims that he had a great time, so who knows?

akok has played it close to the vest from the start.

i used to think we would be in great shape if he decided early. now i've been swayed by the belief that if he waits until spring, it is to see if oshae declares for the draft, opening up a more clear path to pt at syracuse.

Connecticut is the chunk of land that is so bad neither NY or Massachusetts wanted it lol... it's kind of just there.

Here's the thing with akok...hes comfortable with uconn. Been around the program a lot and has familiarity with current players/staff. We were on him earlier but they have been able to make up ground due to being so close and easily accessible to him. I wasn't going to post this because anytime someone brings up social media everyone jumps down their throats but it's just a way to read the crumbs a bit and worth noting. This kid literally has zero relationship with any current cuse players on the team and even being recruited except goodine/carrigan. Even after the visit nothing has changed. In this day that's a little odd for kids but again it really doesnt mean anything. (I get it...see I even posted that myself so i dont have to be reminded) for a kid that's considered VERY quiet and who didnt talk much i think it's going to come down to what hes comfortable with. Again just my own opinion and not based off of anything else so go ahead and crucify me. If it was strictly a business decision then we should win every day of the week and maybe that's how he decides...I really hope he does. Time will tell with akok

Thank you. Appreciate the post. As a reader of breadcrumbs, too, I don't feel the love, like we are getting him. Now, he seems pretty deadpan with everybody he has visited, judging by the pictures, and many comments from many sources about what a quiet polite kid he is. So, maybe he is playing poker with us all.

I'm feeling Guerrier as a "very likely", Stewart as a "holy cow, we've got a pretty decent shot at him" and Akok would be a surprise.

I think if we get Guerrier and Carrigan makes grades this first semester, that's a heck of a class with Goodine and JAB.

If somehow we land Stewart, "holy moley", and if we get him and Akok, I'm thinking Final Four contenders, if not a legit shot at another trophy.

Thank you. Appreciate the post. As a reader of breadcrumbs, too, I don't feel the love, like we are getting him. Now, he seems pretty deadpan with everybody he has visited, judging by the pictures, and many comments from many sources about what a quiet polite kid he is. So, maybe he is playing poker with us all.

I'm feeling Guerrier as a "very likely", Stewart as a "holy cow, we've got a pretty decent shot at him" and Akok would be a surprise.

I think if we get Guerrier and Carrigan makes grades this first semester, that's a heck of a class with Goodine and JAB.

If somehow we land Stewart, "holy moley", and if we get him and Akok, I'm thinking Final Four contenders, if not a legit shot at another trophy.
Thanks! And I agree with everything u just posted. Worse case scenario we land QG and add carrigan (if eligible) or maybe we land wahab and we are more then good...that class would be fantastic. We keep pushing for AA and stew and see what happens. Regardless, the staff has us in great shape with numerous good options! Just have to see how it all works out now. QG is the next piece of the puzzle that will be orange!

I agree with all but having lived in CT for the first 20 years of my life and then going to SU for school. the weather is nowhere near the same. Colder in Syracuse and a lot more snow. Zero comparison. The campus is in the middle of nowhere for sure.

Agree with all this, except for the training facilities. They just opened a huge new practice facility, with separate wings for the men’s and women’s teams, and it’s as nice as what a lot of high-level programs have. But, yes, Gample is a dump, and so is the farm town of Storrs.

One thing that hasn't been mentioned here recently is our recent history of getting kids drafted in the first round. If the kid is sitting back and looking at things rationally, which is more important, familiarity with a campus or future nba prospects? Since '13 we have had 5 kids drafted in the first round, UConn has had one. Akok must see the success we have recently had getting kids into the league and i'm sure our staff has made him aware. That UConn program has been devoid of good prospects for a while now.

I think we have a great chance to land him, but I wouldn’t discount Providence either. Uconn is definitely a factor in his recruitment, but all the recent UConn talk feels like smoke and mirrors from Hurley and his staff.

One thing that hasn't been mentioned here recently is our recent history of getting kids drafted in the first round. If the kid is sitting back and looking at things rationally, which is more important, familiarity with a campus or future nba prospects? Since '13 we have had 5 kids drafted in the first round, UConn has had one. Akok must see the success we have recently had getting kids into the league and i'm sure our staff has made him aware. That UConn program has been devoid of good prospects for a while now.
of all the teams on his final list, syracuse is easily the best fit for him stylistically.
uconn has had a lot of success with players like him - but that was all under calhoun. danny hurley has never had a player like akok, let alone put one into the draft.
who knows what he places the most value on, but from a basketball development standpoint it's a slam dunk.

of all the teams on his final list, syracuse is easily the best fit for him stylistically.
uconn has had a lot of success with players like him - but that was all under calhoun. danny hurley has never had a player like akok, let alone put one into the draft.
who knows what he places the most value on, but from a basketball development standpoint it's a slam dunk.
Absolutely agree. I hope this is how akok us thinking about it.

So, all things are basically even with the towns being picturesque surroundings and nothing much to do. The practice facilities both seem to be complete and no one thing there being the deciding factor. Dare I say (not knowing Akok’s academic interests) that the schools are also competitive academically?

So what are the deciding factors: coaches, coaching staff, prospects to win, existing friendships with teammates, immediate playing time/starter minutes?

What are the characteristics Akok Akok is looking at to select? Answer those questions and you will be able to better decide which college he will select.

I personally would like him to select Syracuse. He has been my number 1 prospect since before late spring but it is his decision and I will respect whatever choice he makes. The kid is that good of a player with a ton of potential.

what? are you kidding?
No, I don’t know if the major Akok wants to follow is a strength at either school. If it is broadcasting, then it is Syracuse all the way. If it is agriculture or animal husbandry, UCONN May be a better choice. So, right now I say thathey are equal because of the unknown.

This. I’ve been concerned about his comfort level primarily. He’s far from home and he needs to feel safe, comfortable and a part of something- not feeling like an outsider.

UConn has had position to do this

I would guess that he would ask his sponsor family for advice. I hope they would explain the league difference s and would have his best interest in mind. Suggest what they perceived to be the best opportunity to succeed. Then tell him he needs to go where he’s comfortable. Back to first sentence. Rinse wash repeat

This. I’ve been concerned about his comfort level primarily. He’s far from home and he needs to feel safe, comfortable and a part of something- not feeling like an outsider.

UConn has had position to do this

I would guess that he would ask his sponsor family for advice. I hope they would explain the league difference s and would have his best interest in mind. Suggest what they perceived to be the best opportunity to succeed. Then tell him he needs to go where he’s comfortable. Back to first sentence. Rinse wash repeat

He's from a place in the world that may make Storrs not seem so bad, so you have to factor that in. But on the other side on the ledger there is this quote from him about SU (from July):

“They say I’m a great fit for their school and their style of play,” he said. “It’s really a great fit for me."

In terms of what he is looking for:
“One where they will allow me to put it on the floor,” he said. “Teams that put up a lot of shots and play good defense too.”

That was not Syracuse last year but it will be Syracuse in 2019+ with Goodine, Buddy, Gerard and company. Will JB let him put it on the floor? He does if the guy can do it and be productive. What do you guys who have watched video of him think? Is this a guy whose skillset would get the green light from JB to put it on the floor?

Status
Not open for further replies.