Class of 2019 - PF Akok Akok (CT) to UConn | Page 62 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2019 PF Akok Akok (CT) to UConn

Status
Not open for further replies.
He's from a place in the world that may make Storrs not seem so bad, so you have to factor that in. But on the other side on the ledger there is this quote from him about SU (from July):

“They say I’m a great fit for their school and their style of play,” he said. “It’s really a great fit for me."
It is if he values winning and the next level

He's from a place in the world that may make Storrs not seem so bad, so you have to factor that in. But on the other side on the ledger there is this quote from him about SU (from July):

“They say I’m a great fit for their school and their style of play,” he said. “It’s really a great fit for me."

In terms of what he is looking for:
“One where they will allow me to put it on the floor,” he said. “Teams that put up a lot of shots and play good defense too.”

That was not Syracuse last year but it will be Syracuse in 2019+ with Goodine, Buddy, Gerard and company. Will JB let him put it on the floor? He does if the guy can do it and be productive. What do you guys who have watched video of him think? Is this a guy whose skillset would get the green light from JB to put it on the floor?
Hes got a nice high arc soft shot and is agile for his size, but we will see

Hes got a nice high arc soft shot and is agile for his size, but we will see

He said he wants to put it on the floor, if he is here as a center that would be unheard of, if a forward, JB would be fine with that if his skills back it up. I just don't have any idea what his skill level is in that aspect.

He said he wants to put it on the floor, if he is here as a center that would be unheard of, if a forward, JB would be fine with that if his skills back it up. I just don't have any idea what his skill level is in that aspect.
While he can play SF, PF and C positions, Akok is more of a Forward type than a Center type. They post he is 6’10-6’11”, he was just 6’8” almost 6’9” at the end of his junior year. I would bet He is probably closer to 6’9” than 6’11”. He showed good shot blocking skills last year.

Rakim’s Senior yr is him mostly putting it on the floor.

I don’t remember that at all??
Depends on what you mean by put it on the floor. I mean, he did a ton of catching the ball at the elbow or just off the block and facing up and driving by his man or shooting over him. Not much driving from the perimeter though.

This. I’ve been concerned about his comfort level primarily. He’s far from home and he needs to feel safe, comfortable and a part of something- not feeling like an outsider.

UConn has had position to do this

I would guess that he would ask his sponsor family for advice. I hope they would explain the league difference s and would have his best interest in mind. Suggest what they perceived to be the best opportunity to succeed. Then tell him he needs to go where he’s comfortable. Back to first sentence. Rinse wash repeat

Sponsor family might feel that a smaller school might be better for him academically (see Adonal Foyle to Colgate), but UConn isn't that type of school, either. They might not be so NBA oriented and maybe see him as a four year degree candidate. Proximity to him while he's in school might also likely be a factor. It depends on how much they are his lifeline to American culture and going to college. Shy kid, doesn't seem to talk too much, smile too easily on all of his visits. Maybe UConn gets him. It's all good, however he decides.

Rakim’s Senior yr is him mostly putting it on the floor.

Rak was more back to the basket.

Akok sees himself probably more in the Billy Owens / John Wallace style.
(Yes, he'll have to go look those names up and look for some betamax tapes, I know ...)

i believe both akok & jba are from somalia, no? that might be a hole card on the comfort front, having a countryman as a fellow freshman & teammate

Wrong continent. Sudan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors