Class of 2019 - PF Akok Akok (CT) to UConn | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2019 PF Akok Akok (CT) to UConn

Status
Not open for further replies.

"There are not many more unique prospects in the 2019 class than Akok Akok. The 6-foot-9 power forward running with the Mass Rivals 17-under crew is the embodiment of versatility and while it has been an up and down senior travel season, the Rivals150 prospect put together an impressive showing in southern California with a slew of coaches on hand.

Last year, Akok finished top-five in both 3-point shooting and blocked shots on the adidas circuit; finding such assets in one respective prospect is among the most difficult. A 3-and-D power forward prospect that can handle the basketball, make shots to the perimeter and defend his basket from in and out of his area, there is good reason for why Akok has drawn such heavy interest throughout his high school career.

Whenever Akok is engaged and competing, there is not many more special prospects nationally. He was just that on Wednesday night as head coaches from UConn and Rhode Island, along with assistants from Georgetown, Virginia Tech, Butler, DePaul, Providence, Syracuse and NC State were all on hand. A commitment is likely in the cards for before the turn of the calendar as the best from the northeast remain in strong pursuit."

This kid's wing span is insane. He would be a prime target for the 2-3.

The video in that link was from Atlanta when I watched him play in May. One of my favorites of our potential recruits for this class. Perfect stretch 4.. can knock down the three at a high clip, runs the floor with ease, blocks shots-- his own man or help D, and can guard multiple spots (his length and athleticism are perfect fit for the zone).

The video in that link was from Atlanta when I watched him play in May. One of my favorites of our potential recruits for this class. Perfect stretch 4.. can knock down the three at a high clip, runs the floor with ease, blocks shots-- his own man or help D, and can guard multiple spots (his length and athleticism are perfect fit for the zone).
Perfect description of him...he would be a great fit for us. Looks like hes bulked up too. Hope we get him!

If this kid is 6 10 he might be our center.
Love Akok, and will be thrilled if we land him. Even at 6'10", I don't think he's a 5, and IMO he'd be playing out of position there. He's the perfect stretch 4 though.

Love Akok, and will be thrilled if we land him. Even at 6'10", I don't think he's a 5, and IMO he'd be playing out of position there. He's the perfect stretch 4 though.

It's about versatility. Having an offensively skilled true stretch 4 with Akok's shot blocking ability is a huge advantage when JB wants to swing him to the 5 in games that you need to get more offense on the floor.

Elite D is always great, but you also have to score to compete at the top of the ACC.

It's about versatility. Having an offensively skilled true stretch 4 with Akok's shot blocking ability is a huge advantage when JB wants to swing him to the 5 in games that you need to get more offense on the floor.

Elite D is always great, but you also have to score to compete at the top of the ACC.
Agreed. I love Akok's game. I want him. He offers great versatility. But he's NOT and should not be recruited to play center. Spot play there against smaller lineups or to boost the offense on occasion is ok, but he's NOT a center.

Agreed. I love Akok's game. I want him. He offers great versatility. But he's NOT and should not be recruited to play center.

We get it - you love Akok.
You want Akok.
Nothing would satisfy you more right now than Akok. :p

And sure, recruit him as a stretch 4.
It worked for Rico & Marek, right?
4,5 - whatever it takes. ;)

We get it - you love Akok.
You want Akok.
Nothing would satisfy you more right now than Akok.

And sure, recruit him as a stretch 4.
It worked for Rico & Marek, right?
I have no idea where you're going with that statement. :p

What I'm implying, is that I'd like to sign Akok, but not in place of the stud center we really need. He's a unique talent, an ideal stretch 4. I just don't want him to be viewed as our stud center recruit if we whiff on Stewart, Kai, Qudus W or Kofi.

As for Marek, I think he did his best when asked to spot play center. He was, however, clearly playing out of position when at center.

If he’s 6’10” and can block shots he will play center. Especially if he’s good offensively. That’s how JB works.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom