Class of 2021 - PF Arthur Kaluma (AZ) Offered | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2021 PF Arthur Kaluma (AZ) Offered

I’m of the belief that QG is here for 1 more year, 2 max. So our 3/4 is lacking some depth beyond 2021 now.

The staff seems comfortable with the guards - Buddy (then Dior), JG3, Kadary, Chance (hopefully Gayle too). So those group of guards will last us until 2023-2024 most likely.

but the 3/4 we only have Benny and Newton, with Bras graduating in 2021. Maybe the staff sees JBA/Mac as a 4; but it’s clear they think they need another wing. I think Benny is probably 2 and done.
I still think Westry plays the 3 here

I think we have a lot we can sell someone like Kaluma/any other 21 or 22 3s and 4s

Bras redshirted so he has a few more years. But yes I could see QG leaving sooner than later. And the staff wanting to upgrade the forward spot next to Benny.

Kaluma is in Vegas at the Tarkanian Basketball Academy. Art got there yesterday and look at these teams closely for today...
Screenshot_20200612-145627_Instagram.jpg

Anyone know if we have any connections to him? AZ is not exactly our typical hunting ground. And if the interest is seriously mutual?
AZ is currently hell on earth, facing its second heat wave. Temps over 110. It isn't the paradise that one might imagine. However, Syracuse would not provide relief unless summer school is on the agenda.

AZ is currently hell on earth, facing its second heat wave. Temps over 110. It isn't the paradise that one might imagine. However, Syracuse would not provide relief unless summer school is on the agenda.
second heat wave? Huh? Ya, it's summer time here but it isn't 110 yet

I’m of the belief that QG is here for 1 more year, 2 max. So our 3/4 is lacking some depth beyond 2021 now.

The staff seems comfortable with the guards - Buddy (then Dior), JG3, Kadary, Chance (hopefully Gayle too). So those group of guards will last us until 2023-2024 most likely.

but the 3/4 we only have Benny and Newton, with Bras graduating in 2021. Maybe the staff sees JBA/Mac as a 4; but it’s clear they think they need another wing. I think Benny is probably 2 and done.
I still think Westry plays the 3 here

I think we have a lot we can sell someone like Kaluma/any other 21 or 22 3s and 4s

We're often on the same page, but I just don't see it.

The main issue is that he's an undersized 4. To be a 1 or 2 more and done, he'd have to show a LOT more perimeter skill. Possible, sure. But without him morphing into more of a 3, I don't see him being a viable early entrant.

Which is no knock on his talent -- if some of what he flashed the last third of the season is what we have to look forward to, Guerrier could be a HELLUVA college player for us even if he isn't a true NBA prospect.

We're often on the same page, but I just don't see it.

The main issue is that he's an undersized 4. To be a 1 or 2 more and done, he'd have to show a LOT more perimeter skill. Possible, sure. But without him morphing into more of a 3, I don't see him being a viable early entrant.

Which is no knock on his talent -- if some of what he flashed the last third of the season is what we have to look forward to, Guerrier could be a HELLUVA college player for us even if he isn't a true NBA prospect.
That’s fair. He does seem to have the potential to be a great college player but lack a position at the next level without really developing his outside shot and handle, which both need work. He had more of a rep as an outside shooter in high school but we didn’t see much of it last year.

He’s already 21 - if he stays all 4 years he’ll be 24 before the NBA Draft of his senior year. I do think that will play a factor with him too. He’d be an absolute monster playing in the ACC being 23.5 years old against a bunch of 19 year olds, so that’d be awesome.

Last edited:
That’s fair. He does seem to have the potential to be a great college player but lack a position at the next level without really developing his outside shot and handle, which both need work. He had more of a rep as an outside shooter in high school but we didn’t see much of it last year.

He’s already 21 - if he stays all 4 years he’ll be 24 before the NBA Draft of his senior year. I do think that will play a factor with him too. He’d be an absolute monster playing in the ACC being 23.5 years old against a bunch of 19 year olds, so that’d be awesome.
He is a euro player imo he will only leave early for overseas money or stay all 4 is my thoughts

second heat wave? Huh? Ya, it's summer time here but it isn't 110 yet
Thee has been a couple of days over 110. You had an early heat wave. Phoenix is an oven in the summer.

Interesting mix of schools.

Re: Burgan -- I hope not...

Like a bigger Harden. He would be a interesting player for us. I have no comp. Burgan, maybe?
Not bad comparisons. Does this impact Mac at all? Mac is more of a 4/5 and this kid is more of a 3/4 type (leaning more towards 4) With the addition of frank and the progression of our other bigs and Mac waiting to see how playing time shakes out do you take this kid and roll with what we have? I know a lot of people on here have posted about Mac maybe wanting to play the 4 so I kinda find this interesting. Who is the more complete player and who would provide us with more of what we need considering what our roster looks like?

I would be pretty surprised if we are able to get him to the Northeast. Being in the top 8 is impressive but I think this is one a case where Covid might hurt us. He would and we would benefit greatly if he was able to get on campus.

This kid will be a stud where ever he goes. He has a great skill set for his size.

I would be pretty surprised if we are able to get him to the Northeast. Being in the top 8 is impressive but I think this is one a case where Covid might hurt us. He would and we would benefit greatly if he was able to get on campus.

This kid will be a stud where ever he goes. He has a great skill set for his size.

Do we have any connection with this kid? Just seems like an unusual recruitment based on his location and clearly also looking at the other schools that made his final 8.

Not bad comparisons. Does this impact Mac at all? Mac is more of a 4/5 and this kid is more of a 3/4 type (leaning more towards 4) With the addition of frank and the progression of our other bigs and Mac waiting to see how playing time shakes out do you take this kid and roll with what we have? I know a lot of people on here have posted about Mac maybe wanting to play the 4 so I kinda find this interesting. Who is the more complete player and who would provide us with more of what we need considering what our roster looks like?
I only saw the last video clip. He (Kaluma) looks dangerous off the dribble, penetrating, making plays for himself—probably scary (in a good way) in transition. I thought micawber was more of a power 4?

I only saw the last video clip. He (Kaluma) looks dangerous off the dribble, penetrating, making plays for himself—probably scary (in a good way) in transition. I thought micawber was more of a power 4?
I think he is but he can also play the 5. I'm not really sure what we are recruiting him to play? I'd assume we put him on the floor wherever possible but I'm sure the kid has a preference. He said hes waiting to decide after the season starts (if we have a season) and gets to see how players/teams do and has said playing time will be a major factor in his decision. With who we have already and Benny coming in idk who fits best with what we are trying to build? AK might be a long shot anyways considering his list and idk how hard we are recruiting him but to make his top 8 seems decent...I like him more then Mac.

breakdown coming sometime soon? Will be interesting to hear what he has to say about us.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom