Class of 2021 - PF Arthur Kaluma (AZ) Offered | Page 9 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2021 PF Arthur Kaluma (AZ) Offered

I don't see it for SU getting Kaluma. We have 2 upper class transfers plus another stud freshman to compete for time. Is he willing to potentially be the #4 forward on the roster? Would be great but I'm sure he'll getting better opportunities to come in and be assured of significant minutes. If someone has a more optimistic rationale, please share it.
Your point is fair but I’ll take you up on your challenge.
First, 30-35 minutes just freed up with Quincy leaving. Plus one of the forwards could play at the 5. Our bigs all have question marks. I know others disagree but JB will not play JBJ huge minutes if he has a clearly better alternative. He wants to win.
With playing time the cream usually rises to the top. If Kaluma came and was as good as advertised, he will play.

I hope the positive rationales on the board and any that JB are pitching will win the day with Kaluma. He looks like a dynamic wing that SU has had on their A list for awhile.

Your point is fair but I’ll take you up on your challenge.
First, 30-35 minutes just freed up with Quincy leaving. Plus one of the forwards could play at the 5. Our bigs all have question marks. I know others disagree but JB will not play JBJ huge minutes if he has a clearly better alternative. He wants to win.
With playing time the cream usually rises to the top. If Kaluma came and was as good as advertised, he will play.

Yeah, I usually get all excited about a 5* 'croot based on the unfounded Twitter musings of some rando with 4 followers too.

Especially when we've already got another 5* tweener Forward, plus 2 other older, experienced dudes, all competing for the same 80 minutes.

And a coach who is legendary for playing like 2.5 guys at those positions.

I mean, why WOULDN'T he wanna come here??

SIGN HIM UP!!!

If Kaluma were to come to Syracuse, I think the person it most impacts is Frank. I figured Frank was going to get minutes at forward. I am looking forward to seeing him there, actually. If Kaluma comes, he still might, but certainly less likely.

Well, Kaluma is a real good defensive player and rebounder whose offensive skills are not up to the level of his other skills (from what I read recently). He would be a good addition. Finding playing time this year may be a challenge for the coaches but he could be a big contributor in 2022-2023 once he gets one year of college experience under his belt.

Getting him would be interesting, promising him playing time may be a challenge. All the other schools recruiting him are from the West coast area. Being from Arizona, the closer schools may be more appealing to him than Syracuse.

I would take him just under the premise that having a top 50 player now is better than not being able to get one in 2022-2023.

The UNLV choice says that he is not like!y straying far from home. I am in Tucson and have heard nothing. UofA is headed for punishment so that's not a likely option. His only E Coast final 8 was Cuse.

Last edited:
Well this would be a great development! Either way it’s great that the staff is going for it. It says that all three forwards we have are going to be earning the minutes they get. Nothing set in stone yet.
Jordy, I'd be happy to hear your views. But I don't see Kaluma as a roster-buster. He's a HS recruit -- way below Swider and JB on the experience/development curve.

Yes Benny's a frosh too, but he's uber-talented at both ends of the court, and (IMO) projects as the presumptive starter at PF. I don't see a conflict brewing there.

So Kaluma, if he's genuinely interested, would probably serve a Woody-type role, spot minutes, not a lot of pressure, develop his offensive game and maybe help on the boards. What's not to like?

Jordy, I'd be happy to hear your views. But I don't see Kaluma as a roster-buster. He's a HS recruit -- way below Swider and JB on the experience/development curve.

Yes Benny's a frosh too, but he's uber-talented at both ends of the court, and (IMO) projects as the presumptive starter at PF. I don't see a conflict brewing there.

So Kaluma, if he's genuinely interested, would probably serve a Woody-type role, spot minutes, not a lot of pressure, develop his offensive game and maybe help on the boards. What's not to like?

Why on earth would a 5* guy sign up for THAT???!!!!!

It literally makes zero sense.

The last guy who signed up for that, got p-o'd about it and left.
But for this kid, it would be different, because - reasons? :rolleyes:

Oh I hear you. Kids transfer if they don't like the color of their locker. The reason I even ask is ... he's listed as a 4* in 247, just over 200 lbs. Word is his offensive game is "developing". So my conjecture .. is that he might be willing to come in for limited minutes and develop because JB is gone after a year - and likely Benny too. That's the draw ... come in, develop and learn, and then forward's wide open second year.
All kids coming in as freshman are developing but where have you seen the offensive game is "developing" take? He's actually a pretty polished player overall offensively and can play inside out and has a good handle. He reminds me of James Harden (I'm not saying he's going to be James Harden people.)

All kids coming in as freshman are developing but where have you seen the offensive game is "developing" take? He's actually a pretty polished player overall offensively and can play inside out and has a good handle. He reminds me of James Harden (I'm not saying he's going to be James Harden people.)
I agree with your take. He can score at all three levels. His handle looks really good for a big guy. He and Benny would be a very difficult forward tandem for opposing teams to match up with. I see him listed at 205 lbs. He looks bigger than that to me. I would love to see a defensive back line of Frank, Benny and Arthur. Super athletic and long. We would look like Syracuse.

His 247 profile has a quick scouting report from 1/2020 that said his shooting is still in development.

I don't understand why he would be a lock here. He fills a need for another athletic wing but if Quincy didn't want to come back to compete with 3 other forwards (one being the coach's kid)... why would a top 50 kid want to do the same? We also have Kamari coming in the year after (if things go right).

His 247 profile has a quick scouting report from 1/2020 that said his shooting is still in development.

I don't understand why he would be a lock here. He fills a need for another athletic wing but if Quincy didn't want to come back to compete with 3 other forwards (one being the coach's kid)... why would a top 50 kid want to do the same? We also have Kamari coming in the year after (if things go right).
I dont disagree with you about him coming here with the forwards we have...but there is a difference. AK might be ok with getting minutes and just being here (not saying this is the case) but Quincy needs to showcase himself in a manner that we can't provide for the next level. Different situations.

The offseason is about talent development and accumulation. Get the talent here and let them compete and make eachother better. Duke brought in Barrett, Zion and Cam Reddish all in one class. If I am Kaluma, I am not worried about either Swider or Jimmy.

I dont disagree with you about him coming here with the forwards we have...but there is a difference. AK might be ok with getting minutes and just being here (not saying this is the case) but Quincy needs to showcase himself in a manner that we can't provide for the next level. Different situations.
I would think they're in similar situations... top 50 kids aren't looking to come be depth on a college roster, they want to go to the league as quickly as possible. Especially with the new transfer rules in place, there's no reason to be stuck behind someone.

I would think they're in similar situations... top 50 kids aren't looking to come be depth on a college roster, they want to go to the league as quickly as possible. Especially with the new transfer rules in place, there's no reason to be stuck behind someone.
Kinda...still different. One isn't projected as a one and done and the other is 22 years old trying to get to the league. But I agree, it will be hard to convince any kid who wants significant minutes to come with the guys we already have.

It’s hilarious on this board. Some posters can’t even be excited that we are trying to recruit this kid. Whatever I’m excited about both the possibility here and the implications of the staff still trying to add players.

It’s hilarious on this board. Some posters can’t even be excited that we are trying to recruit this kid. Whatever I’m excited about both the possibility here and the implications of the staff still trying to add players.

I'm kinda psyched we're trying to recruit him. Why not?

But then the reality kicks in, and I cannot fathom why he'd chose to come here, given our situation at Forward, and the likely lack of PT from same.

Who's not excited about possibly adding Kaluma?

It’s in the questioning and bringing up Quincy. It’s like a preprogrammed Debbie downer syndrome.
There's been a lot of Debbie downer stuff on here lately but this isn't one of those times. Having a realistic outlook on our situation isn't being "weak" and I'm pretty sure almost everyone on here is excited that we are recruiting AK and would love to get him...but talking about where he fits and the possibility of him wanting to come vs maybe getting more playing time somewhere else isn't some controversial take. Its awesome we are trying and anytime we are trying there's a chance. Doesnt mean everyone needs to automatically think we have him in the bag. Thats the fun part about recruiting is all of the uncertainty and trying to guess what factors come into play with these kids decisions.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom